Mesh head on Snare

jco5055

Hey guys, after being away for so long I finally bought my first kit at the ripe old age of 23:)

I bought the Pearl Rhythm Traveler POD kit, since it seems the best for an apartment or elsewhere for both it's size and the sound dampening of the mesh heads.

I've installed the mesh heads for the TOMS, and just put the mesh head on the snare. The problem is is that the snare is barely dampened. Do I need to "turn off" the snare (not sure if that's the correct phrase)? Or would I also need to remove the bottom head?

Great for you!

The snare drum is named after the wires on the bottom, which are called "snare wires", appropriately, thus one would "turn off the snares". :)

And yeah, I think that would be a very effective thing for volume reduction. The bottom (resonant) head coming off would also help, since that makes it effectively a big tom, but it can be annoying to have to take off the wires and put them back.

Hope this helps!

Great for you!

The snare drum is named after the wires on the bottom, which are called "snare wires", appropriately, thus one would "turn off the snares". :)

And yeah, I think that would be a very effective thing for volume reduction. The bottom (resonant) head coming off would also help, since that makes it effectively a big tom, but it can be annoying to have to take off the wires and put them back.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Yeah I went and turned the snares off and it solved the problem. I don't know why I didn't take the 10 seconds to try first before posting this question haha.

A suggestion, replace the snare with a practice pad! The pad will feel more like a snare drum than the mesh head. Denis

Not necessarily. I've been using a Remo Silentstroke head for concert snare practice for a while now, and it's very good. Just a bit soft, but it can also be tuned tighter or looser to adjust the feel (obviously). I find that most gum rubber pads feel like a medium-tuned set snare, and you can't adjust those :)

Back