would you use a 13x5 snare for rock?

yammieoaks

I listened to some Omar Hakim YouTubes and liked the sound (originally inspired by seeing an ad selling one) and am wondering if that snare or one that size would give enough body for rock.

Any players have feedback on this topic?

Simple answer is yes. I use a 13" x 5" Spaun maple stave snare for rock. It has loads of attack and tuning headroom plus plenty of body. Even more extreme in most players view, I regularly use my 14" x 3.5" Pearl brass floating shell piccolo snare for rock stuff. I've used piccolo snares for 30 years in a rock environment to very good effect. Even through the late 70's - early 80's when the trend was to have a snare sound like an 18" floor tom with loose snare wires on the reso! The piccolo offers even less depth of tone than the 13" x 5" but cuts through in a live mix like no other snare can. Do you want to sound like the rest or sound like the best?

How loud is the rock you intend to play? Jack Johnson is considered "rock" music...so is Pantera. I'd say it'd be fine for just about anything.

I don't think that certain snares are "meant" for certain styles.

There's really only two basic snare sounds: the ones you like, and the ones you don't. It's (mostly) independent of the type of music you play.

There are drummers in every genre that use everything from piccolos and popcorns to floor toms with loose wires on the reso side.

It's all good, use whatever you like. You might have trouble using a 13x5 on the big Journey power ballad, but who the hell plays those anyway?

I feel that the music/song dictates the sound of the drums, and given that we normally have one kit to play for a whole gig, we have to pick the sizes and tunings that will work well for everything.

For almost any derivation of 'rock', I think a 5x13 snare is borderline. It certainly can work, but is going to be less-suited to as many songs as a 6.5x14 that can be changed from crack to warmth in the moments between songs, or just left 'in the middle' to cover everything.

You wouldn't play a jazz gig with a Bonham kit, and you wouldn't play Led Zep with a bop kit. But with a 22/13/16, you can reasonably cover both. Sometimes the norm ends up being the most versatile on a given night.

Drums make a certain range of sounds for their size, which is why different sizes are available. If tuning was the only aspect to a drum's sound, drum companies could make a 22" kick, 14" tom and 13" snare, and call it a day. Yamaha could make a single 23" timp to cover all the ranges... it tunes high and low, right? Orchestras & schools could purchase 3 or 4 or 5 as needed, and they'd all be the same price - cool! Why pay extra for those pesky 32" timps?? For that matter, they could just make 20" timps, and save space, too!

I understand the sentiment of the remark "Do you want to sound like the rest or sound like the best?" But the fact is, if you want to sound like a pro, you do what the pros do... and that's to use the appropriate sized drum for the gig at hand.

That's why pros have multiple snares and kits. While it may not be practical or affordable for most of us to have 30 snares on hand, it's important to have a few. Smallish, deepish, metal and wood: 5x13 (steel and wood) and 6.5x14 (brass and wood.) Those four snares could do a lot for one drummer.

Bermuda

I used that exact drum as my primary for about a year. It's fine. Plenty of beef for a 13" diameter due in part to the fact that mahogany seems to be a warm, round sounding wood. I have a 13X9 now, which has a lot more breath to it, but the Omar Hakim would serve you well, and if I recall they aren't too painfull on the wallet either.

That's why pros have multiple snares and kits. While it may not be practical or affordable for most of us to have 30 snares on hand, it's important to have a few. Smallish, deepish, metal and wood: 5x13 (steel and wood) and 6.5x14 (brass and wood.) Those four snares could do a lot for one drummer.

You made a lot of good points in your response, but I pulled this last paragraph because I think it illustrates one (of many) philosophies about drum sounds. Namely, tailoring a drum sound to a particular song, or set of songs, or more broadly, a genre.

I kind of like the idea of not changing drum sounds because once you've gone to the trouble of finding a drum and a tuning that you like, why change it? It's hard to achieve your signature sound if your sound varies with the days of the week.

For example, I like that Neil Peart played that same Slingerland snare for so many years. It was immediately recognizable from song to song, album to album, tour to tour, year after year. I wish he still used it.

EDIT: I get that session drumming is different than being the drummer in one band. I agree that session drumming requires more flexibility and a large arsenal of snares, cymbals and the like. I'm a "band" drummer, so I tend to go for a favorite sound and minimize confusing myself with an endless array of great stuff. (I've been coveting the stave shell snares, though - perhaps one will become my "signature")

Last edited:
I kind of like the idea of not changing drum sounds because once you've gone to the trouble of finding a drum and a tuning that you like, why change it? It's hard to achieve your signature sound if your sound varies with the days of the week.... I agree that session drumming requires more flexibility and a large arsenal of snares, cymbals and the like. I'm a "band" drummer...

I'm a band drummer as well, although my primary gig requires that I don't have a signature sound.

But even having a signature sound is a pigeonhole to a large extent. It might be personally satisfying, but not good for getting work beyond those who want that sound. Even drummers playing in one band for a length of time have to evolve with the band.

My goal is not to force my signature sound, but to adapt to the band's signature sound. Perhaps I have sacrificed some identity in the process, but it keeps me working. I never think of drumming to be famous or recognized... I just wanted to do something I loved for a living. It's my ability to make a lot of different sounds that has been my strongpoint, so perhaps versatility is my signature after all?

Bermuda

I'm a band drummer as well, although my primary gig requires that I don't have a signature sound.
You're in a unique situation. I imagine it's a lot of fun to use as many snares as is required for your various re-creations.

But even having a signature sound is a pigeonhole to a large extent. It might be personally satisfying, but not good for getting work beyond those who want that sound. Even drummers playing in one band for a length of time have to evolve with the band.

My goal is not to force my signature sound, but to adapt to the band's signature sound.
Sure, if you're not going to alter your sound just for consistency's sake, even if you're now enamored with another sound, then yeah, you risk pigeonholing yourself.

As far as not getting work... I have no illusions that I'll always have my day job to pay the bills, and my drumming will remain whatever my whim is and whatever little (interesting) garage band will have me (sad but true).

No disrespect, but hasn't Gadd always used pretty much the same snare sound?

It will work shoot I've heard of drummers using piccolos in rock it all depends what sound you're going after.

BL

I listened to some Omar Hakim YouTubes and liked the sound (originally inspired by seeing an ad selling one) and am wondering if that snare or one that size would give enough body for rock.

Any players have feedback on this topic?

Of course it will. Since when are sizes bound to music styles?
Body is more a matter of depth than diameter. Just stay away from shallow piccolos if you want body.

I have a 13" brass and it rocks. You can check it out by following my signature.
It rocks more than the 14" maple I have. Just play whatever sounds good to you.

As far as not getting work... I have no illusions that I'll always have my day job to pay the bills, and my drumming will remain whatever my whim is and whatever little (interesting) garage band will have me (sad but true).

And therein lays a freedom that I can't afford. :(

No disrespect, but hasn't Gadd always used pretty much the same snare sound?

I'm not sure exactly what his sound is... the '70s tight, muffled sound is what I associate with him now that I have to think about it. But Gadd is hired for his playing, not his sound. I could easily copy his sound - and work for half the money - but I still won't get his gigs.

Bermuda

I'm not sure exactly what his sound is... the '70s tight, muffled sound is what I associate with him...

That's the one. Sounds a little thwacky with kind of a soggy bite. Never been a fan of it myself, but its been working pretty well for him!

It's not a sound exclusive to Gadd though. Jeff Porcaro, Hal Blaine, and almost every other pop/funk drummer in the '70s employed that snare sound. FBOW, Gadd hung onto it.

I understand the sentiment of the remark "Do you want to sound like the rest or sound like the best?" But the fact is, if you want to sound like a pro, you do what the pros do... and that's to use the appropriate sized drum for the gig at hand.
Bermuda

I made that slightly ill thought out remark to encourage individualism. Your advice regarding multiple drum choice is, of course, correct.

Fortunately for me, like MikeM, I too don't have to rely on drumming to earn a crust so I can afford the luxury of going with whatever sound takes my whimsical fancy. I'm used to being barrated for my snare choice, but as I'm not relying on my critics for work, I'll go with what makes me feel good.

Since when are sizes bound to music styles?

Sizes aren't bound to styles, but they are guided by the music/song/production and to a large extent, genre. There may not always be an absolute sound for a song, but there's a range, and it may be very narrow.

While it may be groundbreaking, is it right to use a piccolo snare on a moody ballad? An 8x14" on a ska song? Or trigger/program 808 sounds for progressive jazz?

I'm not gonna say it's wrong, but the artist/producer won't be amused (or inclined to re-hire a drummer who doesn't know how to help the music.)

It's not about 'playing it safe' or lowering onesself to a common denominator or sacrificing creative integrity - it's about using the right tools for the job. Like it or not, there are certain expectations and rules in making music.

Will there be a time when there aren't such rules? Possibly... probably... but not anytime soon.

For those drummers who wish to push the envelope and do things their way - music be damned - best of luck to you. Be a pioneer. Prove me wrong. But every time a band or artist or producer asks you to change your drum sound, I want you to come back and read this post.

Bermuda

Back