Best $2000 or Less DRUM KIT??

DaNo

I'm looking for a New/Used kit w/ 2 rack toms, 2 floor toms, and a 22" bass drum.

Don't really need a snare drum.

Please let me know of any suggestions you may have in this price range of $1000-$2000.

Thanks!

Need more info. What kind of music, any sets you saw that you liked so far, brand loyalties, etc.

Ludwig Centennials have a very fat, rock sound and are reasonably priced at around $1600 for what you want. Mapex Saturns can be found on eBay for around $1400 for what you want, as well as Mapex Orions. Tama Superstars sell for about $1200 in a 6 piece config, but they're not your standard sizes/wood combo, so you'd have to try them out first. Peal Masterworks sells a 6 piece combo on Musician's Friend for around $1600.

In that price range, there's alot of options. Honestly, you can easily get a professional quality set in this range. Just don't expect natural to green fade transparent lacquer over olive ash burl veneer that you might get from DW.

A lot really depends on the type of music you play and your experience. The higher end Gretsch kits are wonderful for jazz musicians. The Tama Starclassic birch/bubinga sounds great in a lot of different genres including rock. A lot of companies have the Gretsch Renown maple kits at almost blow out prices, I own one and they sound spectacular.

By the way, if anyone can find me a six piece Pearl Masterworks kit for $1600 USD, I'll take one or two. The Masterworks are Pearl top of the line kits which are usually made at the time of the order. They are somewhat "custom" that you can designate the type of wood, shell thickness, bearing edges, hardware and colors to choose from. The lowest price I've ever seen was about $3000 for a four piece kit.

Dennis

Tama starclassic maple. I've seen them around but they are hard to find. You just have to keep looking.

I personally would go for the new pacific's.

I just ordered one and with the money I saved I used on DW hardware.

and Pacific makes an ACE snare that is its own version on a black beauty.....

but this is just an option.

I would look for a used Mapex Saturn, sick kit, nice and warm with some attack, can be used for hip-hop(as shown by Eric Greene and Daryll Robinson or N.E.R.D), rock(Will Calhoun amoung other from Living colour) and probobly other if you get the right set of heads. I got mine a Speciaal Edition brand new, for 2300 i think, so you should be able to find a normal used one for under 2000

Yamaha Oak Customs, great sounding and very affordable. Also the Yamaha Absolute series drums can be found in that range used.

Dude, for that price, in this economy, buy used. Look around eBay and your local Craigs Lists, be dilligent, don't get impatient, and you can easily get a top of the line custom kit for that price.

I saw a Pearl Reference 7 piece used but looked great, for under $2000 with hardware today on ebay with free shipping. It sounds too good to be true really. I wish I had the money together and I'd get it myself...

Im a fan of the Gretsch Renowns, Pearl Masters, and Pearl Reference. You should be able to get 4 or 5 pieces for both under 2k.

Back