Hollywood Drum Show 10/18

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all - anyone in the Los Angeles area planning on going to this show? It's in Glendale this Saturday and runs from 10-7pm. I'm debating going although it's only $20 per ticket at the door. I've never gone, and it might be cool. There are concerts and clinics, and of course, door prizes.

Anyone?

Hey Bo,

Kind of the same here. Always contemplated but never yet attended. It always looks like fun, but haven't yet gotten there.

This year will most likely be no different; time constraints will make for too much of a rush, and that's no good.

Maybe next year.

I've attended most of the shows, including the very first one at the sound stage on Sunset. I'll be at this show as well, and am going in today to help with the Ludwig booth. Should be a great show!

Bermuda

I've attended most of the shows, including the very first one at the sound stage on Sunset. I'll be at this show as well, and am going in today to help with the Ludwig booth. Should be a great show!

Bermuda

This means I can bring my Weird Al CD in and get it signed by Bermuda himself!

Hey all - anyone in the Los Angeles area planning on going to this show? It's in Glendale this Saturday and runs from 10-7pm. I'm debating going although it's only $20 per ticket at the door. I've never gone, and it might be cool. There are concerts and clinics, and of course, door prizes.

Anyone?
I'd go if it didn't mean travelling up and down the 5 freeway across LA, but it does, so I'm not going.

Oh crap. I always go to these but I didn't realize it was happening this Saturday, TODAY. Here I am reading this at 4pm, it'll take me an hour to get there... I guess I'm not going.

I was there (missed you Bo if you were, too.)

Good show, not too crowded but definitely noisy, with some great entertainment every other hour. Some of the exhibitors did okay sales-wise, some not*. I found only a few things I couldn't live without, including a Dunnett 2N snare with a Supra flanged top edge, and a Dunnett (straight) bottom edge.

Nice raffle prizes, including a sweet Craviotto snare. I won a nice Pork Pie throne and $25 Pro Drum gift certificate. :)

Exhibitors included collectors like Butch Carlson, John Grandt, Joe Kenney, Darren Carr, Patrick (Boneyard Drums) and Dave (I forget his last name) from San Diego. Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Taye, Spaun, Pork Pie, Dunnett, Fever, San Francisco Drum Co, RBH, Kumu, Mayer Bros, and curiously, SJC, were also there. Paiste, Pro Drum, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Keller, Ford Drums, Superdrum (12-lug snares) and Chicago Drum Co. had booths, and I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

There were some nice vintage snares in particular, but generally way overpriced (which accounts for the general lack of sales I mentioned.) Lots of used/vintage Ludwig, but a surprising dearth of collectable brands like Rogers and Camco (I believe there was only one kit of each in the whole show) or Gretsch, either. I don't think there were any Slingerland kits at all.

Even where stuff was priced sensibly or even fairly low, it didn't move.

So, I had a great time, but I couldn't say if the show was successful or not in terms of what Kerry needs in order to continue to do them on the scale he does (live entertainment, attracting name companies and collectors, etc.)

Bermuda

* Let's put it this way, I was seriously considering getting a 10x10 space, and filling it with snares, Paistes, Istanbuls, and assorted hardware to sell. I'm glad I didn't!

Thanks Bermuda! Sounds like I would have enjoyed it. Too bad about the low sales volume though. I hope it won't need to be scaled back.

Bo,

So, did you go? And if yes, what were your impressions?

I'll make no excuses, other than saying Saturday morning everything just seemed to hit the fan at the same time. So, no, I was not able to make it. I'm glad it seemed like a good time - I have several friends posting about it on facebook too. Hopefully I can make it next year,

Back