Ist gig done...underwhelming

MaryO

Platinum Member
It's after 3:00 am here so this won't be a long post but letting you know the first gig has been completed. Overall I did okay but unfortunately my fears came through about the band... They were sloppy, intros and outros were horrible and way too much time between songs. I wasnt at my best because i was]having a hard time just trying to work with what they were throwing at me. Amazingly, we've been asked back to the bar but I'm not sure I'm going to do that. Have a lot of thinking to do.

The boyfriend did some recording so we will see how that turned out and if it's anything decent ill try to post something in the next few days. I think I need a couple of days to just process everything and look at it objectively.

I'll update when im not so tired.
MaryO

Well done you! The most important thing is that YOU did ok and you coped in difficult circumstances. That's a huge achievement.

I'm glad it's out of the way. Looking forward to hearing where you decide to go from here.

Oh Mary, well done again!

Well done you! The most important thing is that YOU did ok and you coped in difficult circumstances. That's a huge achievement.

I'm glad it's out of the way. Looking forward to hearing where you decide to go from here.

Oh Mary, well done again!
Yes Mary, that's the thrust right there. What you've just achieved is huge! Much bigger deal than you think it is right now. Most people look forward to their first gig with a combination of trepidation & excitement. You went into this concerned, & that's a lousy first experience. Kudos for seeing it through!

As for where you go from here, ask yourself but one question: "Do I think I can make a difference?" If the answer is yes, them maybe stick around. If the answer is no, then state your reasons rationally face to face with the band, let them have their say, & reverse gracefully away.

That's big tick number 1 in the box!!!!

Well done ,keep it up ,for a drummer is every gig a lesson[for me it is] ,you learn more every gig.
Youre band as well .
As drummer you must go for the extra miles on the drums especially on gigs.
Even the when its going not so good with the band.
But you have to give and take feedback [negative and all ways end positive].
Learning to play drums is one thing ,playing together and sound good is a other .

good luck

1st gigs never go like you like you imagine they will. That's natural. I remember playing my first gig back in 1974. The whole band was paid $50!
But, we always recorded our gigs and listened and learned from them.
Obviously you have to do what's best for you, but let it sink in, listen to the recording, and move forward. See what the rest of the band has to say and how they feel. It's all about fun and if your not having fun then maybe it's time to move on. Very few people earn a living playing drums, it usually a hobby or just a passion.

Congratulations. Good job just for soldiering thru the gig despite your expectations.

If you decide to find another band and tell this band why they might decide to make an effort to tighten up the act.

I wish you luck in what ever you decide to from here.

Yes Mary, that's the thrust right there. What you've just achieved is huge! Much bigger deal than you think it is right now. Most people look forward to their first gig with a combination of trepidation & excitement. You went into this concerned, & that's a lousy first experience. Kudos for seeing it through!

As for where you go from here, ask yourself but one question: "Do I think I can make a difference?" If the answer is yes, them maybe stick around. If the answer is no, then state your reasons rationally face to face with the band, let them have their say, & reverse gracefully away.

That's big tick number 1 in the box!!!!

Well said Andy!

Congrats on getting through the first one!!! It's tough when things don't go like you expect. The other question is do you think the others in the band have the talent to do better and it's something you all can work out?

Well said Andy!

Congrats on getting through the first one!!! It's tough when things don't go like you expect. The other question is do you think the others in the band have the talent to do better and it's something you all can work out?

I think that video your man made will be a good tool in examining the performance and talking through a couple things with the ladies.

Congrats Mary. I love that you are doing this.

Congratulations on your first gig. Don't over worry about your band mates. Just focus on you. If they were that sloppy then you need to decide if you want to stay or leave the band. But in terms of you as a drummer, if you feel you gave it your best shot then that's all that should matter to you. Keep on drumming and remember to have fun.

Congrats. I'm not sure I wouldn't be ready for gigging with such little time to prepare but you pulled it off and sounds like things could only get better

Last edited:
Well done Mary. At least you have your first gig under your belt. It must have been ok to be asked back. Keep up the drumming and don't beat yourself up too much :)

I guess only you and the band noticed the mistakes,which is usually the case.It certainly couldn't have been that bad if they want you back.

Once you listen back to the tape,you may change your mind.I've found over the years that what you thought sounded bad,actually came across as pretty good.The opposite is also true,as some nights, I though like the rest of the band,we were killing it.....but the tape dosen't lie...we were terrible.

Just take it all in and learn from it.Work it out in rehearsal and practice.It takes time and even then,no matter how good you get,you'll have bad nights.

One of my favorite lines from all three Batman movies is when Alfred says to Bruce Wayne,"why do we fall down master Wayne"?..."so that we can learn to pick ourselves back up".

It's all good Mary.Just keep at it,and wear your good luck leopard gear,and take pics for Larry...smile.You just did something most people wouldn't have the pitts to do.Playing in front of real people.:):)

Steve B

You did it, and it's experience... and in the end, that's what matters. Kudos for you for getting out there!

I understand your feelings of disappointment, because it is tough emotionally when our "first" at anything is not we had hoped for. But everyone here is right - you deserve huge kudos, not only for having the guts, but also for doing your part to the best of YOUR ability. That's all you'll ever have control over.

Congratulations, and I hope you keep on rockin'!

Right on, Mary. Glad to hear you survived in one piece. It's good experience. Be aware of any mistakes, but don't dwell on it. Upwards and onwards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvmGRdDrzCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPMZkggUj5k

Okay here's some audio of a couple of our songs last night. Video is nonexistent so you can't see me and audio is pretty crappy with lots of bar background noise but maybe you'll get the idea. I was "lucky" enuf to be seated directly under the big tv screen...lol. Made for an intersting night. Not to mention the drunk guy who was talking to all three of us during almost every song....lol. Definitely got some experience under my belt.

I feel better after listening to a couple of these. Let me know what you think if you can tell anything from the poor quality. Hopefully somebody got some better video. If not, I've got well over an hour of this stuff to go thru! Ugh.

Congrats, Mary. Certainly, you've come a long way since first picking up the sticks.​
As far as the future, make sure you're happy. Dedicating time into a musical situation that you're not happy with, is a bad place to be.​

Back