My first kit upgrade, what should I get?

Reilahnator

Hey, I've been rocking a pearl forum kit for 3 years now, it was my first kit.. but its rusty and battered and it looks awful and its time for a new kit, especially since ive just started gigging with a band i joined.

I was looking at the Ddrum - diablo, dominion Tama - hyperdrive ( probably not this one because, i dont like the look off rly short toms from the front) Taye - Pro x

Im not sure if there are any other brands with kits around the same prices. If so, please tell me. I really want a virgin bass drum with the toms hanging off the stands. I dont really need a snare because ive already upgraded the snare, cymbals and pedal.

what do you think, thanks.

Buy used. You can pick up a really nice Mapex Saturn, Gretsch Renown, Pearl Masters, Tama Starclassic, for around $1000. A Saturn would be my suggestion. I love those drums

What is your budget? What kinda music you play? Are you ok buying used? I had to have new and went with the Sonor 3007's great drums though the bass isn't virgin (which from what I learned on this site lately may not be all that big a plus) if your a hard hitter you may not want your toms hanging from a cymbal stand. DW performace series are very affordable...you might even catch a lightly used or display one even cheaper then the $1500 the new ones go for..

I'm not planning on a new kit for at least a couple years, but when I do it'll be a DW Performance.

@OP: If you use any muffling at all, you won't get any appreciable improvement in sound by using a virgin kick. However, if it's a looks thing that drives you, fair enough.

+1 more on buying used - wisely.

I would buy used as well. However, I would get into one of the older Gretsch Catalina's. A lot of versatility in those kits if you can get em with the 14 and 16 tom.

Braincramp, it sounds like you recently purchased a set of Sonar drums. I had a set back in the 80s, back then they didn't offer all different style categories they do now. I really enjoy playing them but they weighed a ton. Are the new sets still as solid as they used to be?

Mapex Saturn. I am a little biased, but give one a try.

If your gonna gig, they may get beat up a little unless your really careful and use bags/cases. I recommend used, just because it's the way to go! haha, no but seriously it will save money for a better kit which you could use for new cymbals.
-Ex Nihilo

Braincramp, it sounds like you recently purchased a set of Sonar drums. I had a set back in the 80s, back then they didn't offer all different style categories they do now. I really enjoy playing them but they weighed a ton. Are the new sets still as solid as they used to be?

The 2007 and 3007 kits Braincamp is referring to are actually Sonor's intermediate line from China. I owned the 3007 as well and for the price, those kits absolutely rock! The 2007s are solid birch, and the 3007s are maple. They are not as heavy as Sonors or yesteryear, but I'm sure Sonor's top-of-the-line offerings can be as heavy. What surprised me about them is their singability. The 3007 snare is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Mine was really throaty and sounded great. I think Sonor has hit a homerun with these kits (with the Safari and Bop too) and I tell everyone they should at least check them out. Like any intermediate kit, the only immediate upgrade I would do is new heads. Other than that right out of the box they're good to go.

Buy used. You can pick up a really nice Mapex Saturn, Gretsch Renown, Pearl Masters, Tama Starclassic, for around $1000. A Saturn would be my suggestion. I love those drums

Any of these would be FANTASTIC!

There are plenty of places to find some sweet used gear. Ebay, craigslist or local used stores. If there is one in the area I'd recommend checking out Music Go Round.

You could even save more or buy new if you need and go with an intermediate kit like Sonor Force 3007's, Mapex Meridians, Gretsch Catalinas etc.

+1 I can tell you now, if you get a sonor force 3007, put emperors or ambassadors on it, it can get low down or high, ping like easily. You can choose between drilled or undrilled bass drums aswell and there are lots of finishes. But try the drum kit and other ones first to choose the best sounding and looking. Hugely recommend sonor but there are other kits at that level like renowns and catalinas

Back