My 1st post: Help with Ludwig Snare.

2underpar

Silver Member
I picked this up today for $40. Even I know I got a good deal but what exactly did I buy?

I have an older 1966 Acrolite that I play with my 1968 Keystones but I'm assuming this (new-to-me) snare is much newer. I'm guessing a 90's Supraphonic. The Sn. # is 3253760 Monroe N.C. USA.

What's the best way to clean the pitting in the chrome?

I have a new 25 strand snare that I will replace the broken snare that's on it currently.

The Fiberskin batter sounds quite good. I think I'll keep it on there.

Once I figure out how to clean the chrome it should be a nice addition to my line up. I have 4 kits set up in my basement.

Thanks for listening and any advice on how to clean the pitting is welcome.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 433
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 396
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 422
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 390
Supra. And the fact it once had a muffler tells me it's probably earlier than a 90's model. Probably mid eighties.....around the time of the shift from Chicago to Monroe, at a guess

There's not much that can be done to fix the pitting. It is the result of an adverse reaction in the bonding process between chrome and aluminium. Any aggressive scrubbing will just cause the chrome to flake and it'll end up looking far worse than it does now. As far as pitted snares go, that one is not too bad. I'd just give it a light once over with a soft cloth and play it.

$40 is an utter steal. Well dealt! Enjoy!!

What you have is a Super-Sensitive that was converted to a Supra by taking off the SS strainer and butt and throwing on a P85 and P32. Clues: no rim over the snares on the bottom, extra holes on the sides. Still should be pretty decent, and a steal for what you paid.

What you have is a Super-Sensitive that was converted to a Supra by taking off the SS strainer and butt and throwing on a P85 and P32. Clues: no rim over the snares on the bottom, extra holes on the sides. Still should be pretty decent, and a steal for what you paid.

Initially I thought those holes were for a muffler but I see what you're getting at, Al. Aren't they too high for the SS mechanism though?

Previous owner (who claims he rocked this snare for 30 years, no reason do disbelieve him) said those holes were from a muffler that he removed.

He is 85 years old and a well know Pittsburgh area drummer.

This snare has been apart at some point in it's life hence the couple mix/matched nuts and washers.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 359
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 365
I have a period muffler in my "box of goodies" that I'll try to mount in the following few days. We'll see how it mounts up.

As for a Super-sensitive, I've never heard of one before. I had to Google it. Admittedly, I'm not a big gear head. I just like to bang on my drums.

The open snare hoop is something I've never seen before. It looks factory. Very smooth and unison edges. Certainly not a hack job.

Yeah, OK, maybe a removed muffler. I saw the hoop and guesstimated.

Now maybe what you have is a Supra shell and hardware, an after factory hoop with open snare channels, and some pitting.

That's what I get for gliding by right before supper!

Any case... STILL a damn good $40 spent!

Nice buy !!!! I noticed you have a couple of strands missing on the snares. Try to remove the opposite strands (on the other side) to make it even.

I have a new 25 strand snare to replace this one with. Although, the first thing I did when I got home was to set it up on a kit and play it. I must say it sounds great as/is.

That's not a P85 strainer either, is it? It looks like a Taiwanese copy as it doesn't have Ludwig written up the strainer.

That's not a P85 strainer either, is it? It looks like a Taiwanese copy as it doesn't have Ludwig written up the strainer.

Do I need new glasses? Good spot!

OP, do you have a picture of the badge? This might not even be a Ludwig shell...!

Do I need new glasses?

OP, do you have a picture of the badge?

The answer to both questions is "yes". The badge is pictured in the first photo of the OP. ;-)

That snare appears to be a SS convert, or a Frankenbeast combination of several snares. It's a nice snare and well worth the $40 spent on it.

That doesn't look like a SS model. It would have extra, matching holes on both sides like it was drilled for 2 throwoffs.

I suspect somewhere along the line someone swapped out the stock hoop for an SS hoop. Great score.

That's not a P85 strainer either, is it?

Good pick up. I missed that too.

Regardless, the OP has a 402 shell, Imperial lugs, P-32 butt plate and a Keystone badge......the bulk of a genuine Supraphonic is in place. Should he feel the need, it's only a few cosmetic upgrades to bring the thing back to "official" status anyway.

For $40 bucks, I could live with the fact the throw off and bottom hoop are non-Ludwig replacements. Even if he chooses to upgrade them, he's still well ahead of the game.

...Regardless, the OP has a 402 shell, Imperial lugs, P-32 butt plate and a Keystone badge......the bulk of a genuine Supraphonic is in place. Should he feel the need, it's only a few cosmetic upgrades to bring the thing back to "official" status anyway.

You sure about that Jules? That looks like a 5" deep shell to me.

Still a great deal either way though.

You sure about that Jules? That looks like a 5" deep shell to me.

Still a great deal either way though.

Might cover all bases and just call it a 400 series shell then.

How's that for back peddling, arse covering and flat refusal to admit an error? I should have been a politician.

Great catch on the none-Ludwig throw off. I totally missed that myself.

The shell is 6.5" and (to me) the badge looks authentic for something from the 80's or 90's.

Thanks for all the great info.

I played it tonight during a little impromptu jam session with my Niece's boyfriend after hosting Thanksgiving dinner (he's a very good guitarist and I just happen to have a Fender laying around). The snare sounded great.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 271
Looks more like a 5" shell. You're counting the rims. But if the badge is legit, you got a smoking deal. And of course, it's all about how it sounds.

Back