your throw off ....where is it?

A

Anthony Amodeo

.......random thought.....and I have no idea why I notice these things....but

I watch a lot of drummers play and I always for some reason check out where their throw off is.....most guys have it somewhere between 6 and 8 o'clock

I was watching a drummer last night who had it at 12 o'clock....never saw that before...

I personally leave mine right between 6 and 7 directly to the left of the bottom snare basket arm

....so purely out of curiosity ......where is your throw off?

Mine is at 9 o'clock and always has been. Drop my left hand and on/off

Usually keep it angled inwards towards the middle of the drum set. I used to have it more accessible, but I accidentally turned the dial a few times with my hand, so I moved it out of the way.

Usually keep it angled inwards towards the middle of the drum set. I used to have it more accessible, but I accidentally turned the dial a few times with my hand, so I moved it out of the way.

hmmm... interesting.

this is exactly why I started this thread

I keep it at 7 or 8 O'clock usually. Basically where it's comfortable for my left hand to reach if I need to switch while playing.

12 o'clock is crazy unless you're sure you will never need to turn them off.

I've never given it much thought. I always under the impression it should just be on the last side of (or right if you're left handed). It makes sense that way. To me anyway.

In the general vicinity of my crotch.

3:00

thanks for the thread. i was wondering. when my (real) drummer comes over, he turns the drum to 9:00. i have no plans of changing it, but wondered what the standard is. as usual, there is no standard.

good one, Gv.

8 o'clock. I have easy access to it there. But I recently watched a video with a drummer who argued for the 12 - 6 o'clock position. His point was that it places your snare wires under every point through the center of the drum from far rim to near, so you get full snare sensitivity at every point along the way. Especially nice when you want to crescendo your buzz role from the rim to the center of the head, etc.

You know, I'm starting to notice that an awful lot of threads end up somehow being related to Larry's crotch in one way or other.

Hey, it's a fine crotch. Nothing bad or rotten about this crotch lol.

Depending on its design and type of activation, anywhere between 6 and 8 o'clock.

Dennis

My snares have dual throw offs so on my main snare they are at 9 and 3 and on my side snare 7 and 1.

Last edited:
My left side piccolo, 9:00. My main snare, about 4 to 5.

Back