finally...new custom kit is finished!!!

drummerern

so, i decided i couldn't stand having a kit that someone else could just go buy. so i sold both my gretsch catalina jazz and the renowns, along with the patina snare. started the build about a month ago, and now i have a full custom kit!!!

specs-
22"x20" kick
12"x8" rack
14"x14" floor
14"x8" snare
10"x5.5" tama side snare

14" a custom mastersound hats
16" aax-plosion crash
18" aax-plosion crash
20" k custom pre-aged special dry ride
20" vintage zildjian crash/ride
21" k consatntinople big band ride

all tama hardware-
roadpro cymbal and snare stands
iron cobra hihat stand
iron cobra kick pedal

vic firth 85A sticks, vic firth steve gadd brushes, vic firth talawands

remo emperor coated on tom tops, ambassador clear on bottom
remo control sound coated snare top head, ambassador hazy on bottom
remo powersonic batter bass drum head, ambassador coated on reso.

lemme know what ya'll think!...any questions, feel free to ask

Attachments

• iphone 2-9-09 003.jpg
    iphone 2-9-09 003.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,240
  • iphone 2-9-09 004.jpg
    iphone 2-9-09 004.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,235
  • iphone 2-9-09 007.jpg
    iphone 2-9-09 007.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,226
  • iphone 2-9-09 008.jpg
    iphone 2-9-09 008.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,227
  • iphone 2-19-09 001.jpg
    iphone 2-19-09 001.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,213
  • iphone 2-19-09 005.jpg
    iphone 2-19-09 005.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,229
  • iphone 2-19-09 008.jpg
    iphone 2-19-09 008.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,216
  • iphone 2-19-09 010.jpg
    iphone 2-19-09 010.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,188
very nice, did you do the bearing edge yourself, how do they sound? Can you PM with how you went about doing everything (i'd like to build a custom kit)

yeah, cut them myself, just got a router table, it's honestly worth just ordering the shells prec-cut, that way you know they're perfect

First...looks like you did a top notch job there!

Questions: Where did you source the (Keller?) shells/wood hoops?

Also, are they 8 or 10 ply, or something else?

Thanks!

Wow!
That's quite a beauty you got there!

For a homemade kit, that's sweet.

I'd love to here how they sound.

yes, all keller shells, lol, and they are are 8 ply toms, 10 ply kick and snare.

If someone would have told me in words that you had a teal sparkle wrap kit with wood hoops and gold hardware I would say, "bleeeech!"

However, everything works on this kit. EVERYTHING. My favorite touch is the natural hoops on the kick drum to compliment the toms' wood hoops. Spectacular work.

One of the most beautiful amateur build custom drum kit. I dig the gold hardware, the yamaha style wood hoops and the aqua glass glitter.

Again two thumbs up for your awesome work.

thanks guys, love the compliments...the turquoise glass glitter just stuck out, couldn't resist it, i wasn't sure how everything would fit together, but it turned out perfect for me...im playing the kit for the first time this wednesday, i'll have pics and hopefully some sound clips thursday

Absolutely gorgeous! You should be proud.
one observation....the front of the kick seems angled up...this kills resonance through hoop distortion, as well as tends to loosen tension rods over a short time.
great job!

Very nice great job.

Would you mind sharing the price of the whole project?

Personally I would have gone with a 16" floor tom, or at least a wide interval between the toms but that's the fun thing of a custom kit: you get to do what YOU want ;) I really like the finish and how it combines with the gold hardware!

the front of the kick seems angled up...this kills resonance through hoop distortion, as well as tends to loosen tension rods over a short time.

Yeah, but it doesn't kill the resonance as much as having the whole drum on the ground. Having the front of the kick off of the ground by less than 1.5" is fine for the hoops, and actually increases resonance of the bass drum.

...Anyways, sweet kit! I dig the teal/gold combo (never thought I'd say THAT).

Well, it certainly is apparent that I am not the only one who thought the color scheme of things would not work and I am usually pretty good matching colors up, but WOW Dude nice choice and job! Great looking kit cannot wait to hear it as well as what you thought about your first go at it...thanks for sharing.

JIM

Back