Virgil Donati

Virgil Donati.....I have heard three of his albums...and I'm sure he is the greatest progressive drummer.... also he gots the best double bass beat's composing ability i've ever heard.....have you ever listened "Trencherman" of "On the Virg"??

Wow Bernhard,

I'm really diggin Virgil's sessions with Hoekstra that you put up...You really get to see another side of Virgil's playing, other than the "alien-like" technical displays featured on his page on DW...

Loving the groove he lays down in this one...He is always complimenting the music and groove only the way Donati can...http://www.drummerworld.com/m3u/Virgildonatiurban.m3u

Good stuff Bernhard...

Donati has absolutely insane chops, i saw him play a solo on a steve vai dvd and i'd never seen anything like it, blew me away. i would like to hear more

NUTHA JASON said:
i got to believe this. a guy like virgil has miles of studio tape with his drumming on. very few of us can claim to know the full length of virgil's career. judging any drummer must shurely involve at least looking at half of his/her whole recorded material and virgil's is huge and obscure. what he does these days is so far off the envelope that it doesn't sit nicely in my ear but i have to believe that he can hold down a four on the floor should the song call for it. lol...imagine him covering an AC/DCsong. (that said, i learned more about drumming from phil rudd than i ever learned from virgil)

j

A couple of years back (the last clinic I caught him at), Virgil was asked a question that kind of went like this:
"Do you play any straight stuff?" (not an exact quote)

Virgil mentioned that he was just fresh off some LA studio sessions, doing some studio for a project that included some Rolling Stones dudes.... It was a very straight rock album.

I'll try and find the credit. I've not heard it myself, but I would have to assume that Virgil can hold down a 4/4 feel just fine.

I got Virgil's play-along recently and honestly it made me think he may be the best power drummer on this planet. He played a groove in 7/16 with his hands, but he was a playing a 4 feel underneath it like, 1..4..7..3..6..2..5.., etc. on the kick drum. It really blows me away the stufff he is able to do on a set. Another example is the craziest lick I have seen in the Middle of Native metal. I LOVE THIS GUY!

brittc89 - are you an On The Virg fan? Haven't seen it mentioned much here. It's probably my favourite drumming album, and I think the production is amazing. Check out the song 'Trencherman' if you haven't already.

Virgil Donati is one of the most professional, most versatile and simply most amazing drummers of our time. And it is in our time only in which the best drummers exist, of course, because the boundaries have been pushed always further and further.
Now many could say of course that old drummers like buddy rich had better feel and so on.... well this is a matter of taste. Also that they were more entertaining and real superstars...Personally I don´t really care much for this entertaining thing and this whole flashyness, at least not in big bands.
People are saying here that the music Donati plays is often very boring and even "amateurish" which is a really bold and unfair statement I think. Ok I know that finnhiggins said especially his choice of parts is boring not the whole music and drumming and that there is no real release and tension in his playing and so on. I think statements like these are very dependent on opinion, which is ok, but by saying them the way some people said here, they seem like facts and really diminish all the greatness of this great drummer and musician.
It is really not fair to talk about Virgil that way , I have such huge respect for him, all the time he spend practicing on all things possible and dedicating his life to music and drums and then there is a huge load of negative comments about his drumming and music.

In my opinion this is a bit sad, I really enjoy his drumming, watching him....I don´t know any other drummer who plays with that passion and also that seriousness. For me drumming is also something very serious(which does not mean that it should not be fun as well). Look at his face while playing, so passionate, I think this man real embodies drumming.
Personally I enjoy his music(the things I know,at least), escpecially planet x

Now somebody also said that one can not always be friendly, even on this forum, and one has to be direct and clearly say his opinion no matter if it hurts someone....come on this forum is sometimes too friendly I think.Of course, there has to be respect but people are very indulgent here I think with many drummers and musicians who are not that good and deserve all that credit.
But why "bashing" virgil, does not make sense to me.
I didn´t want to offend anyone with this post, everyone can have his opinion of course, I just wanted something positive here to be written for such a great guy...maybe he will read this one day. My biggest respect for him

I have only viewed brief video clips of Virgil Donati playing, and from what I have seen, I'm very impressed with the guy. I know this much:I bought a 16" Sabian Saturation crash that he helped design, and it's one of the favorite cymbals in my setup. I play it alongside of my AA medium/thin crash, and it has so much defintion in it; it's hard to describe. Great for soft buildup with mallets, and for hard rock, it's second to none. I think that Donati is a very valuable and worthy input for anyone who likes more complex "rock" based music, and especially for drummers...
my 2 cents

VampiricNightMachine said:
Look at his face while playing, so passionate,

"Constipated" comes to mind ;-)

I don't think Finn is "bashing" Virgil, nor am I. We just don't care for it too much, and explained why with fairly clear logic.

We appreciate your enthusiasm for Virgil and your comments.

Virg is one of the great Pioneers of the drumming world regardless of what a few think. We can talk about styles we like and he does not do enough of this or that. All that aside very FEW!! and I mean few have pushed the technical and creative boundaries of drumming as much as Virgil has. And let me tell you there are a few here and there who criticize Virg to no end but let me tell you he has PLENTY!! of drummers and fans alike who have great admiration for him and his drumming contributions. Many more who admire him then those who like to rip on him. That I do know. He sure does not have a lack of people showing up to see him perform. And Stu I am not talking about you just so you do not think I am singling you out since you replied right before I did. I am talking in general here.

By the way here is a small but cool clip of Virgil SOLOING! at Pasic. This is a solo at a clinic not Virg playing with a pop band, remember that. Just go to the bottom left hand corner of the PAS home page and you will see the clip. Enjoy.

www.pas.org

And yes Virg did lay down tracks with Mick Jagger for the Alfie soundtrack. And Virg will also be featured on TOTO vocalist Joseph Williams new solo album. It will be in the melodic pop-rock vein more then likely. More then likely reminiscent of TOTO. The guy can play anything he wants in a convincing manner. That is why he gets hired.

tleetech said:
anyone see him Saturday night at the Baked Potato in L.A.? He was off the map!!! My mouth is still hanging open. :)

I'd love to see him at the Baked Potato. Who was he playing with? Even Vinnie admits to going to see Virg there, and being in complete awe.

I wasn't able to catch him this time because I had to work, but he plays there fairly regularly so it's just a matter of time. They only post the calendar for the Baked Potato online once a month, so for someone who lives as far away as I do it can be hard to plan ahead. I swear that place is the best kept secret ever. Also there this month: Abe Laborial Jr., Jimmy Branly, Gary Novak, Chad Wakerman, and Marco Minnemann.

Last edited:
jonny said:
I'd love to see him at the Baked Potato. Who was he playing with? Even Vinnie admits to going to see Virg there, and being in complete awe.
See below! It was absolutely amazing!

Attachments

• virgband_april06big.jpg
    virgband_april06big.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 813
Yeah, well the problem is that I live in London so ... I guess I'd have to build a visit to BP into a holiday, if I ever have that much money.

I guess I shouldn't complain. Last year I saw two performances of the Virgil Donati Band in Australia (the lineup with Steve Weingart). Those were amazing gigs. And I caught a few clinics as well.

When I saw him live, the first thing that struck me was the sheer power he plays with. I've seen loads of videos of him, but nothing can prepare you for seeing him live. His bass drum work whenever I've seen him has been so clinical and precise.

DogBreath said:
I wasn't able to catch him this time because I had to work, but he plays there fairly regularly so it's just a matter of time. They only post the calendar for the Baked Potato online once a month, so for someone who lives as far away as I do it can be hard to plan ahead. I swear that place is the best kept secret ever. Also there this month: Abe Laborial Jr., Jimmy Branly, Gary Novak, Chad Wakerman, and Marco Minnemann.

I saw him play at the Baked potato thru a friends recomendation and his chops blew me away....I wasn't really diggin the music too much but I really like his performance...
The Potato is a cool spot to check out bands...

BTW - Jimmy Branly is really tastey....kinda sounds a little bit like Weckl's latin chops.....

I never heard of the Baked Potato until DW forum. Note to self: skip Disneyland next time and head for the Potato...

Think of it like this .... the Baked Potato is to good drumming what Florence was to the Renaissance. I've haven't been, but the amount of good bands and drummers frequenting that club is amazing.

Back