What's the earliest age to learn to play?

Chunky

Silver Member
IMAG0129.jpg

Here's my son Axl copying daddy's 'rock poses' lol.
It got me thinking, what is the earliest you can start to learn to play the drums?

First off, your kid's name is Axl!?

Secondly, whenever hitting things with their hands doesn't harm their growth anymore.

What a cool photo.

Yep, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, does it?

He will be ready to rock by 4 y.o. probably. Have you seen the kid who plays KISS songs?

First off, your kid's name is Axl!?

Secondly, whenever hitting things with their hands doesn't harm their growth anymore.

Yes, Axl is his name.

I find babies hit things with their hands after a few weeks! And hit things off of their heads even more!

Not that I'm thinking of making him a drummer but, when he's older if he's keen I'll teach him.
Just curious as to how early you can really learn as I've heard a few great drummers say they started at aged 3!
That seems insane to me!

What a cool photo.

Yep, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, does it?

He will be ready to rock by 4 y.o. probably. Have you seen the kid who plays KISS songs?

Hahaha, thanks. Yeah it's funny just how much your kids automatically are just like you without even knowing.

I haven't seen that vid, one of the youngest I saw was Tony Royster but he was maybe 9?
Still I could not believe it. How can a child phrase things so....maturely?

Amazing!

Very cute! And that's exactly the right age to start!

My daughter is 18 months, and she beats the snot out of my practice pad. She has great rhythm. She dances all the time, and is able to maintain great coordination with the rhythm. As soon as she's a little more calm - like maybe three or four, then she'll get a junior kit. I'm no gonna force anything on her, but I come from a long line of musicians - everyone on my mother's side of the family plays something. But if her current habits are any indication, I think she'll take to drums like a duck to water.

This is her on my practice pad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIwHPtMgOzE

Wow, makes him look older as he's moving like he knows what he's doing!
I know what I mean anyway...

That's cute Stick's, she's clearly enjoying herself! If she keeps it up she'll be awesome by the time she leaves school.

Always wish I started younger, so I could be pro level by the time I was 16 so I could race out into the world with childlike enthusiasm, confidence and energy with the skills to get it done.

Very cute! And that's exactly the right age to start!

+1. Never too early but obviously early childhood is a time of exploration and fun learning with zero pressure.

If I remember rightly, Buddy and Gavin started around age 2. If you can think of anyone else with that level of skill and control, chances are they started young too. Simon Phillips, age 3. Steve Smith, 2 (started lessons at 9) ...

Mom and dad let me do whatever I wanted to (but they got me a snare drum, sticks, and a pad, and let me rock on with whatever I was listening to with an old dilapidated Slingerland kit my uncle had for $50). But by age 12, they wanted me to take lessons, and I've continued on ever since. Those years before your 10 I think should just be fun exploration time. I can't tell you the number of kids I've met who hate music because mom and dad made them take lessons too soon, or when they weren't interested. So if I had a child, it'd be encouragement time until they told me they want to be serious about it.

Pshew, I was worried I had rushed things a little by starting at 43!

Awesome pic of your boy, you're going to have your hands full.

MaryO

.....But by age 12, they wanted me to take lessons, and I've continued on ever since. Those years before your 10 I think should just be fun exploration time. I can't tell you the number of kids I've met who hate music because mom and dad made them take lessons too soon, or when they weren't interested. So if I had a child, it'd be encouragement time until they told me they want to be serious about it.

I do have a child and this is my approach.

Put me in the camp of teaching students who have been forced to be there because Dad was a once drummer who regretted quitting. Kids crying during lessons and telling me how much they hate playing music begins the story of why I won't teach in a music store any longer.

My daughter can play a basic money beat and simple 16th note fills at 4 but I think lessons would ruin it for her as it is currently just an occasional fun thing with me.

Make it fun for kids until 8-10, I agree. Just have instruments around and play them like its no big deal. They will catch on and pick one.

Pshew, I was worried I had rushed things a little by starting at 43!

Awesome pic of your boy, you're going to have your hands full.

MaryO

Hahaha thanks! And yep, I sure will have my hands full as I've got twins on the way aswell! Lol.

I think the message on here is to just let your kids enjoy it, if that's what they want to do then, take it further when their older if they want to do it.

I hate those programs about pushy parents, they always seem so blind and although i've never had anyone cry in my lessons before I've also never taught anyone under the age of 10.
I know this myself as I'm also good at art and when I first entered secondry school (high school) they wanted to put me through my art exams there and then as they thought I'd ace it. 5 years later after being forced to draw apples repeatedly I didn't even show up to the exam...
Didn't pick up a pencil again 'til i was 24...

I sometimes put little speakers next to Axl's walker so he can quietly hear what I'm doing on my e-kit, just to entertain him when he's bored of his toys and he loves it! He goes silent and just stares and occasionally dances! It's cute.

I would say as soon as he starts learning the world around him. A 5 year old studying the world with a hard working brain can learn a lot :).

When my son first learned to crawl at around 6 months, the first thing he crawled to was my bongos lying on the ground and started hitting them in a nice steady rhythm...I was lucky enough to catch it it on video too! from there he went to pounding on my practice pad and now at age 3, we have fun drum time every day for 10 minutes after my practice sessions... He walks into my practice room with his own little sticks and headphones over his ears :) my plan when he gets a little older is to fill a room with many different instruments, and let him gravitate to whatever he wants to, although it's pretty evident he will be a drummer :) I can't wait to see what my 3 month old girl will do! I believe in letting them choose because it will always be more fun that way and keep them more engaged, especially if i'm going to pay money for lessons

The best musician I know basically started in the womb. His dad was in the symphony orchestra, so he heard everything from practicing to full-blown concerts before he was born. The guy’s got amazing ears, and he can play pretty much any genre you throw at him.

It’s never too early to start.

I don't think it's ever too early. There's a currently 10 or 11 y.o kid named Julian Pavone who was offered a contract with a drum corps at 18 months. I wish I had started earlier (maybe not that early).

I started my kids on doumbek and bongos before 1 year. My son started drum set at 2.5, and my daughter at almost 2. Pracitce pad for both of them around 1y.o. My son started piano lessons at 5, and now I'm introducing guitar/uke to him. My daughter is eagerly awaiting her chance to play piano, but she has to show that she can keep up her drum set practice routine. They both sing all the time, too. My son WANTS to play drum set, piano, and guitar. My daughter WANTS to sing, play piano, trumpet, and congas.

...that's my take. I'm waiting for them to be ready for it, developmentally, before they begin serious study. But, before then, I'm exposing them to the various instruments, and watching them salivate with anticipation. Looks like your boy is salivating, too... :)

Back