OCDP ACRYLIC SNARE... ????

matt spaun

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a orange county acrylic snare 14 x 6.5. I've never owned an acrylic anything but I'm really interested in them and fancy one badly but don't want to throw money away. So any thoughts????

I have a Spaun kit, maple keller but just fancy an acrylic snare and the OCDP looks cool but have never owned anything acrylic so dont know what it will be like to live with??

Have you played one? I find them to be a bit harsh but they do sound unique and can produce some serious volume.

I would see if your local mega music store has one you can play. Don't know what stores you guys have in the UK.

I'm not a fan of acrylic snares personally.

I have never played one just fancy it. Its on ebay UK for £500, the chap says it cost £1500 new inc import tax from california, maybe a good investment??

I have never played one just fancy it. Its on ebay UK for £500, the chap says it cost £1500 new inc import tax from california, maybe a good investment??
Noooo, that's way too much money. With the exception of something with incredible artwork or other embellishment, you're talking about some bought in acrylic tube, generic Asian sourced hardware, heads & hoops. The level of "crafting" in such an instrument is fairly minimal. In other words, one acrylic snare drum is fairly similar in terms of performance to another. Good investment = certainly not!

For a basic acrylic snare in the UK, go to Carl at AD Drums. He'll build you one for way less than £500. Hell, Carl only asks £500 for this model new, & there's actually a bit of work in this http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/drums/ad-drums-maple-acrylic-hybrid-snare-568571 & for under £1,000, Carl will build you an entire kit! http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/drums/forecast-drums-acrylic-kit-612962 DW's just entered the "buy some plastic tube & throw some cheap hardware on it" market too, so lot's of choice out there.

But for £100 more on your snare budget, you could buy a supremely crafted solid wood instrument of peerless quality & sound, from another UK manufacturer I happen to know quite well ;) ;) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys, Maybe i will steer well clear of that then! Being new to acrylic i had no idea about value, tone, build quality etc etc etc...

Cheers guys, Maybe i will steer well clear of that then! Being new to acrylic i had no idea about value, tone, build quality etc etc etc...
I know it's a bit of a journey, but why not visit the Manchester drum show in May. You'll be able to try out a vast range of snare drums, including acrylics, all in one place. If you've got £500 burning a hole in your pocket, I can help you spend a touch more than that on a drum that out performs anything you've tried before :)

I've been meaning to get to a drum show for ages just so i can drool at all the stuff you only see in the mags. Ive also been looking at an SJC snare... Keller maple, stunning finnish and large wood hoops 14 X 6, same price as the acrylic but never been played so as new...

Back