Recording with K Cons

adamosmianski

So I'm heading into the studio for the first time since I got my 22" medium thin low. I've been recording it on a little Zoom digital recorder just to get an idea of what things might sound like, and it's coming across with far more wash than I had anticipated.

Does anybody have any experience with recording these cymbals? Do find that a lot of those overtones get cancelled out in the studio, or have you ever taped them at all?

I normally use a huge 24 inch 3500 gram ride that can really sound like a huge gong in the room if it gets out of hand. It's literally never been a problem for recording. It's a matter of setting levels and pads, and then a bit more work in post-prod. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless Tony just sent you a bombshell of some kind.

Sounds like you just need to adjust your technique a bit to keep it from washing.

I have Cons that I have recorded very well for me and not had a wash problem at all. The engineer should be able to help you in the studio.

Sounds like you just need to adjust your technique a bit to keep it from washing.

This is also true. I forget sometimes because it is second nature at a point. You just know how much to apply for different sounds.

The 22 medium thin low does have more wash than other Kcon models. I use 1/3 of a moon gel on the top of mine , (eventually falls off if you put on bottom) or you can use tape.

I seem to remember Lewis Nash with a big piece of tape on the bottom of his ride in a video but for the life of me can't find many examples on the web. Matt Chamberlain had a bunch of big, thin wobbly cymbals for sale hear in Seattle that had tape residue all over them so if that's what it takes then there is certainly nothing wrong with that. I have also found that rolling off the bottom end with a low pass filter on your overheads helps to take some of the rumble out.

There is also these.http://www.cympad.com/

I don't have the 22 MTL but I have a KCHighDef and it has similar qualities.

My guess is that it is the dryness that is appealing but the thinness gets washy when you spank it.

Try playing just a little closer up the bow toward the bell and it will sound great when recorded.

i just recorded an album with a 22 KC bounce ride. i know what you mean with the wash, but like someone else said, play closer up to the bell.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. All the stressing was about nothing. Once I got in the studio, it sounded awesome, with no tape. All I did was tone down my technique a little bit and stayed away from the edge. I'm actually pretty pumped about the cymbal now. Sounds great.

Thanks again!

Back