RIP BB King

one of the greats ! RIP

His expressiveness was an inspiration for millions of guitarists. He was the same age as my dad when he died, but BB was amazingly still touring not long ago. One of the greats.

I remember driving in northern NJ in about 1980 or thereabouts. The car in front of me was a little red Toyota Tercel (I think that was the model) Anyway, there was a large black man driving it who had a vanity plate that said BB King. He really looked way too big for that little car. I really think that was him.

That man gave the music world so much. What a great life.

Thanks to recordings, the thrill will never be gone, but he is now riding with the king.

BB King was an interesting guitarist, in sorta the same manner that Ringo/Watts were interesting as drummers. BB was not a virtuoso, and could barely even play chords. His leads were mostly pentatonic minor based with a bit of variation that was derived from his intuition rather than any sort of academic training.

What he possessed was an unusual vibrato (bug thick fingers), impeccable taste, and a great sense of melody and dynamics. The result was that he was one of the most mimic'ed and influential guitarists in history (like Chuck Berry). His playing was both accessible and enjoyable for aspiring guitarists to learn. I still use his technique to this day when asked to sit in with blues bands/jams.

Sad to see him go.

BB was not a virtuoso, and could barely even play chords. His leads were mostly pentatonic minor based with a bit of variation that was derived from his intuition rather than any sort of academic training.

Like many, he's a melting pot of some seminal guitarists before him, who he studied. This is a great down to earth clip of who he is and where his playing derived. Such a great modest man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqUhdBAJfsk

Back