Black Panther vs Gretsch Snare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalton M

Hi everybody, I'm looking at a kit on the net, but it doesn't come with a snare. I've found two snares that I think are worth looking into. Their respective prices are about $25 apart, so money isn't a deciding factor here.

The first snare is a Mapex Black Panther with the natural maple finish. It's 14x6.5".
The second snare is a Gretsch Polished Hammered Brass Snare, and it's 14x5".

Which would provide for an all-around big and clean sound in rock, funk, and some world rhythms, and would cut through the sound the most? I know this is really an opinion thing, but I'd appreciate the advice of the many wise drummers here.

Thanks!

I lovee the sound of brass snares.
It is the best metal for snares in my opinion.
I think it will cut through the mix the most, and it will have some warmth to it, but since it is metal, it will be crazy loud.
It's like the best of both worlds.

Wood snares are warm but I always use a metal snare for it's ability to cut through the mud so to speak. I use wood for recording because of the warm tone. Chrome or brass, Take your pick! I like metal best for live sound.

For the Black Panther, won't the extra 1.5 inches of depth help compensate for the lack of the cutting sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back