New BD reso artwork & Onyx heads & Paiste crash

cadwiz

Hey All,

I updated my ddrum kit with new BD reso head and artwork. I created the design using photoshop and illustrator. It was printed on "car wrap" material used for advertising on cars, buses etc. Then, cut out and applied (wet) directly to the head. This is my second reso done this way and I have had great results. No shrinking stretching or peeling. Once it dries the material stays on and yet can be peeled off easily ( in case you quit the band lol). Anyone looking for a low cost alternative to adding custom artwork to their BD reso should look into this method.

Yeah, but how does it sound?
There are many factors that influence the sound. (As you all know) Head quality, diameter, material, finish, mic hole size, shape and placement all contribute to overall sound. Based on my ears, adding the material does not adversely affect the sound. I probably would not use it in a studio environment. In a live setting you'll never hear the difference.

I had seen some creative port/mic hole arrangements looking through the gallery on the OCDP website. I decided on using 4 - 6" oval bass drum O's in chrome for my design. BTW, they have to be special ordered. None of my local shops carries them.

Evans Onyx heads
What can I say, they sound great. They're dark, warm and focused with lots of attack. Plus, I think they kinda look cool on the kit.

20" Paiste Sig thin crash.
I saw this cymbal at local GC on sale for $199. I guess it's a discontinued model. Once I heard it, I was sold.

For all you camera buffs...
These pics were all shot using a Nikon D90, 18-55 lens, Programed exposure, and Vivid +2.

Thanks for looking.

AL

_DSC0233.jpg

I
_DSC0192.jpg

_DSC0194.jpg

_DSC0216.jpg

_DSC0201.jpg

_DSC0241.jpg

I haven't been posting a lot lately, but I had to comment on this. Just gorgeous! So classy, yet so badass at the same time.

Something about Paiste...they know how to make clean looking cymbals...

Looks good!

So there is such a thing as Suburban bliss???

I'd thought it just a myth.

Nice set up you have there.

Oh dude that's gorgeous.
How do the onyx's sound?
I've heard mized reviews...

Well it's like with everything some people love 'em or hate 'em. I personally think they perform as expected. The Onyx heads give me the sound I'm looking for.

everything is so clean and neat

Yeah, according to my GF it's a sickness with me. She gives crap because I clean my cymbals and a complete wipe down of the kit once a week.

Is that bad? I don't think so.

so you think the new onyx heads sound good on the ddrum ash kits?

what kind of reso's do you have?

Back