2001 PDP CX

I was in the market for a cheap shell pack (around the $400 Canadian range) and I got this 5 piece cx series, all maple shells I believe. They're from 2001 and owned only once. I'm sure everyone's seen a million of these kits already, but I'll post my gear anyway :p They're a greyish/blue color with a tiny bit of sparkle, if anyone knows what the color is called let me know

I put Evans ec2's and g1's on the toms, they had old beat up pinstripes tuned wayyyyyyy too high and the previous owner swore by his drum dial...the toms sound pretty sweet with the new heads tuned mid to low range. I'll agree with people who say that these evans heads give a 'plasticy' attack, I believe it's true to a certain extent. I can definitely live with it for now, I may try something different next time around and try to open the drums up a bit more.

The snare came with a nice dark-nickel colored Tama starcast hoop and it sounds decent, useable indeed and I have a pearl masters series maple snare as another option

I'm having some difficulty getting a nice low thud out of the kick drum, it came with a newer Remo Powersonic bass head and has the original reso head. It sounds a bit too ringy, even with muffling. I think it has to do with the reso head, I may try something heavier or coated? If anyone has any tuning tips for me, hit me up

As for the pics, I've been experimenting/adding to my kit just recently, I play a much smaller kit when I'm away from home. I just began using my 13x3.5 pearl snare as an alternate and it's a lot of fun, and I threw a little cracked splash on top of a crash due to lack of stands lol that's also fun, let me know what you think of the buy, overall I'm really happy with the way the kit sounds and it was right at my budget of 400 bucks, I'm gonna record some stuff in the next couple weeks and try to post it, cheers
16" A Custom Projection Crash
8"K Splash
16"A Custom Crash
14" Sabian vintage Flat Hats
18" Thin Crash
20"Rock Ride/AAX Dry Ride
17"K Custom Dark China

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,601
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,518
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 886
nice kit... very clean looking. looks like a ton of fun to play.
as far as the bass drum.. get an evans EMAD2 or equivalent... ill never use anything else again... it sounds absolutely amazing, and there is no need for any other muffling. so there is my reccomendation anyway

I recorded my CX with an EMAD (Single ply). You may wish to try the G2 coated next go around if you wish to stick to a 2-ply head. I have only used 2-ply heads on my CX. I don't know how much overtones you prefer but G1's will sing even more. They really are great sounding drums and don't cost a ton of money. Not sure about the finish, that's a new color to me and don't remember seeing it before. Congrats..

Great looking stuff! I dig the set up, too.

As far as heads, I have had great results with Aquarian Super 2 coated over Classic Clears. No plasticky sound and they're available in clear as well. They have 2 different thicknesses on the plies so they tune easily and have lots of attack but are very warm, too. With the kick, I have SuperKick II over Regulator reso head. They both have their own muffling so I have nothing in the drum and BOOM goes the dynamite!!!!

there is no shame in posting a great kit! and i love the user name! made me laugh. good ol' Seinfeld

nice kit!........I have a pdp mx, as for the bassdrum i have the stock pdp head and tune it just above wrinkle, and put an emad on with a tiny pillow or towel and lay it against the resonant head. It gives a huge loud BOOOM. I have ec2s too they sound pretty good but im gonna try coated g2s next.

thanks for the comments people, i'm happy with this kit every time i sit down at it, which i seem to be doing quite frequently. they need a little fine tuning but i love the way these tubs sound with a nice low tuning, I have no idea why the previous owner insisted on these drums being tuned as high as he had them. He wasn't a jazz player or anything, played punk and metal i believe, and i was shocked by how tight the heads were.

the kick drum came with a Pacific brand pillow (lol) with velcro that attached to some velcro strips inside the drum. pretty neat i thought, but I still need to tune that beast. I'm gonna slap a coated remo amb bass reso head on there and see if that's any better than the original pdp reso. if not i'll look for a new batter head in a week or so.

as for the setup, i dig it too. i wish i had a genuine virgin kick drum, but that will come with time. the mounting hardware is fairly sturdy, though they can bounce around a bit when you get bangin on them, still seem to stay in their position no problem. again, I'm pretty stoked about this kit, it's a big upgrade (IMO) over my late 80's pearl pro dx kit for little money. i can't wait to take this kit out to a gig. cheers

For the THUD I would try tuning the Powersonic to JAW, The reso up untill it doesn't sound papery, then moving the pillow so it only muffles the reso.

as far as the bass drum.. get an evans EMAD2 or equivalent... ill never use anything else again... it sounds absolutely amazing, and there is no need for any other muffling.

I would have to agree. I use EMAD2 w/ larger muf ring and nothing inside. It sounds awesome.

Back