My Alesis DM10/Zildjian Gen 16 electronic kit

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
Hey guys,
Thought it was a good time to share my electronic drum kit.

ukkz.jpg

9nas.jpg

fy0e.jpg

jzpe.jpg

Thanks to the added configuration flexibility when I got a stand-mounted hi-hat, I was able to switch to a three-legged setup. Better double bass placement too!

Hope you enjoy the pics! Cheers!

- Reggae Mangle

Great little hybrid setup there Reggae. How do the Gen16's compare to the rubber (Roland??) cymbals in terms of response/playability?

The only place that I've seen these are at Guitar Centers. I've tried their displays at four different GCs and at least one cymbal from each set was not working.

Actually I also found these at a Best Buy several months ago and the entire set didn't work. Maybe they'll soon get the bugs worked out.

Dennis

Thanks, toddmc! The metal cymbals are definitely a big step up from rubber pads, a much better bounce and you're able to play realistic cymbal swells and choke them, something that's not very convincing on lower end modules, though I believe the $4000 high end stuff is really good.

There's a DSP processor that comes with the set, BacteriumFenderYoke. It powers the microphones that capture the sound.

audiotech, apparently there were issues with structural integrity of the cymbals early on, but I believe Zildjian has improved the alloy and taken note of other issues with respect to durability. I think there's a lot of stuff that doesn't survive the beatings at GC! That said, I play these like I play with my e-kit: with passion and a modicum of restraint. Wouldn't trust anyone else to do that with them!

The Zildjians seem to be gaining traction with a lot of electronic drummers. The hi-hat is the best part of the kit, works just like a real hi-hat set, so a huge jump over most of the hats you'll find on electronic kits. A lot of people say that alone is the price of admission, but I feel there's a lot of stuff in the kit that should be as nice...

Acoustically, the ride and crash sound good, but there seems to be scope for improvement when things are digitised: they don't sound 100% on recordings with the stock microphones. My recording skills suck too, but that's another issue altogether. There are also issues with feedback if volumes are really high, so unusable in a high octane stage situation.

But turns out they've now developed a new kind of microphone called a direct source pickup. Completely isolated which helps with DSP processing and also eliminates the feedback issue. Some pretty good videos and I would love to make the upgrade, but since I just got these and I don't have a recording deadline, happy to fool around for the time being :)

- Reggae Mangle

Back