cycles of playing

I've noticed that I seem to go through cycles or phases of playing. Basically what happens is that I will be really into practicing for a little while, and will find new songs to play along with and things, but then I will hit a wall and find that I just don't have the technique to be able to play what I want to.

This will cause me to want to stop practicing set, and start working on my hands again developing better technique. Like right now, I've been watching videos on youtube about gospel/triplet fills, and have really been inspired by them. I've been practicing them for the past week or so, but I'm starting to notice that what is really holding me back again is my technique and the fact that my hands just aren't fast enough at playing singles.

So I've decided that now is the time to start working on my hands again and getting faster at singles. During this phase I usually just play on a pillow with a metronome anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes a day, and that will be all. After that I get tired of doing this for a week or so, I usually go back to the set and try to apply what I've done.

The next phase is I've been through before is where I'll just completely stop playing and go through intense listening periods. I'll try to find something new to listen to, and just listen to it as much as possible. I've found that sometimes after I do this when I go back to play, I start playing stuff I've heard without even thinking about it.

After that the cycle will start over again.

I think the thing I need to figure out how to do next is during my technique phase I need to come up with some way to work on my feet. I would really like to be able to play more hiphopish type stuff on the bass (my left foot since my set is setup left handed). I just need someway to work on this without having to be in front of the set.

I know what you're saying. I found that having quick hands on the pad doesn't necessarily translate to the kit. I try to find ways to do my technique work on the kit. I'll do my Stick Control on the snare while playing quarters on the kick and HH or a samba pattern. I also do pp. 7-17 from Master Studies with the right hand accents on the floor tom and left hand accents on the rack and all other notes on the snare while keeping time with the metronome with my feet in some fashion. This seems to help with my fluidity around the kit. Anything to keep it interesting! This also has the added benefit of getting in a good half hour of footwork without really thinking about it because I'm concentrating so hard on the stickings, not hitting any rims, etc.

Back