Buying options, need help!

Also looking to but a cymbal set package. Preferably with 2 crash's a ride and a splash hopefully under $400.00 if not one crash will do. What package would do the trick.

These are all more in the $500 range but I think if you got one of the kits I mentioned above which are all around $900, you'll even out your budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/meinl-classics-custom-medium-cymbal-set-with-free-18-inch-crash

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/paiste-alpha-rock-cymbal-pack

or in your price range:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/sabian-b8-pro-performance-set-brilliant

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/zildjian-zht-rock-4-cymbal-pack

I would personally do either the Meinl Classics or the ZIlldjian ZHT's with either the Pearl or the Tama SIlverstar. They're known to be very reliable, easy to tune up with tons of parts and accessories if you ever want to upgrade anything, and they're very world wide well known brands that will be easy to obtain anything you need for it. It's entirely up to you though.

dag. we've been trolled gents.
Yeah, that's a little different than the $1,000 for drums I was thinking.

In this case, I'd purchase a new or used snare (used Ludwig Acrolite?) and some nice used or new cymbals with the money, and keep the SP 5pc kit. A nice cymbal pack, or selection of used -and that snare, shouldn't be more than $800-$1,000 and could last a lifetime.

I have recently decided to buy a new drum kit. I have a sound purcussion 5pc drum kit. I've been playing for about 4 years. I have about $1000.00 to spend and I already have a couple options of what i would like to buy. The tama silverstar 6pc or the gretsch Catalina 7pc. What are the pros and cons of those two sets and are there any other kits that would be better thanks.

Please use the search function of the forum,since this topic has been discussed here, ad infinitum at least 1,000 times.

Steve B

I mean they're good if you plan to use them for a year at most. I got a ZBT pack a while ago and they're all finished except for the bottom hi-hat. I think if you have a $1000 bucks for drums and $300 for cymbals, you should spend money on some new heads for your SP kit, get a used snare somewhere as Brian said, and spend the rest of your money on a NICE ride, two NICE crashes and maybe some kind of effect cymbal (china, splashes) especially with rock and metal.

I would watch videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udooOap4m2c and see if you could get the best out of your kit, and spend the rest on cymbals. Makes a little more sense I think.

Well the problem is my sp kit I have right now is so trash, that's it's more economical to buy a new kit. So my plan was to spend about 1000 on a new kit 300-400 on a cymbal pack and then keep upgrading cymbals and china exc and eventually snare.

Well the problem is my sp kit I have right now is so trash, that's it's more economical to buy a new kit. So my plan was to spend about 1000 on a new kit 300-400 on a cymbal pack and then keep upgrading cymbals and china exc and eventually snare.

I would spend $500 on the drums and $900 on the cymbals, or $700 and $700. Mid-range drums can be made to sound good with good heads and tuning. Cymbals sound how they sound. Peace and goodwill.

Then what if you get a five piece silverstar or catalina which is around $600 and then spend the rest on cymbals?

I think that's about the best idea going. Your total budget is ~$1500. You can get an excellent intermediate kit for half of that or less.

As others have noted, pretty much any kit can be made to sound good (for a given value of "good"), provided it has good bearing edges, good heads, and judicious tuning. Your cymbals are what they are.

If it were my money, I'd reverse priorities between drums and cymbals, get the cymbal sound I want, then go look for the best drums I can find - new or used - with the remainder.

Check out Craigslist.
You can often get a decent deal with shells and cymbals that might fit your price range, though your choices will be a little more limited.

Sounds to me like you have a budget of $1400ish?

If I were you, I would get an intermediate kit for 500-600 and spend the rest on cymbals and hardware. Those tama silverstar kits are good kit. So are the catalinas. There are also a few other kits in that price range that are good too! I would spend some good money on cymbals. Kits can sound good and be made to sound great with aftermarket heads and a tune, cymbals cant. If you buy crap cymbals, your pretty much stuck with crap sound until you sell them. I recommend looking into the common stuff...

Good/decent stuff - sabian xs20 or paiste pst7, alphas
great/pros stuff - zildjian A, A custom, and K's..... sabian AA, AAX, HH, HHX...

theres a few others too. Do your research and go test stuff out at your local music store...

ive had the sabian xs20s in brilliant finish and they were good. I only recently swapped over to zildjian A customs. they were what I originally feel in love with when I started playing 10 years ago and didnt have the cash for. Hit a few of them, determined they all sounded great and bought a box. Even got a small discount cause it was black friday. I couldnt be any happier with them.

There are ways to make crap drums sound better..I think you have your drumming priorities mixed up. Get the good cymbals and snare first, then worry about the drums. To be honest, if you can tune OK, and you know how to change a head, your drums will sound fine and nobody besides you will really give a crap about the drum sound. Nice sounding drums are great, I love them too, but having good cymbals, a good snare & back-up snare, and gig-ready hardware is more important.

Back