"Welcome...to Fantasy Island"

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I know that some of use here are old enough to remember that line from a TV show back in 1970's.
So now you're the drummer arriving off of the small plane to meet Mr. Roarke so he can make your musical fantasy a reality. What do you tell him?

I would pick either the Count Basie Orchestra circa 1960 or The Moody Blues around 1972 with the original five members.

Slayer 1991 (with all original members).

Tony Williams with Allan Holdsworth, mid 70's.

I used to watch that show. Remember that episode where these kids showed up to live out their rock 'n' roll fantasy? I think Scott Baio was one of the kids, and they got him on a Ludwig double-bass tri-color vistalite kit with the tivoli lighting. Why do I remember these things?

I agree with playing with Count Basie or Duke Ellington - there's nothing like a big band swinging - and I remember being in college playing in the big band and feeling cheated that we didn't do enough Duke or Basie charts. It was always that high, fast, and loud crap nobody wanted to hear (Bob Florence and Maynard Ferguson comes to mind....)

Or being in James Browns' bands ;)

Is there really any question here? I wanna play drums with Ringo! The actual fantasy would be me, Ringo and Jim Keltner playing drums for The original Traveling Wilbury's line up. Yep...that pretty much does it for me.

Bo: I couldn't find a clip of them actually playing but here's a clipt from the episode you were talking about. Man, I had forgotten how bad this show really was...lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMPl5chfqwk

For me, I'd want to be placed in the Ludwig Chicago factory in mid 1964. I pilfer at least 100 full black oyster pearl kits with matching jazzfest snares in the boxes and store them away in a secret warehouse for future considerations.

I cant think of a band or musicians, to many to choose. I can tell you that I would want tatoo to shlep my gear.

Pretty funny Scott. Gave me the days first laugh, thanks.

I'd ask that Sticks4drums take up the clarinet.

For me, it would be playing drums behind John Mayer night after night. Not sure how he's received around here, but I think he's a fantastic guitarist and I can actually play just about all of his tunes.

Wow, Fantasy Island! Never watched it....didn't it come on right after The Love Boat on Saturday nights from 8pm-10pm, no cable during that time and only the local stations. Hey I used to watch BJ and the Bear too though right after CHiPs : ) Of course I watched Fantasy. Loved the white suits...so clean looking

Wow, Fantasy Island! Never watched it....didn't it come on right after The Love Boat on Saturday nights from 8pm-10pm, no cable during that time and only the local stations. Hey I used to watch BJ and the Bear too though right after CHiPs : ) Of course I watched Fantasy. Loved the white suits...so clean looking

You're bringing back memories of my childhood........................you forgot "Dukes of Hazard" and The Hulk" on Friday Nights.

If I had to do the Fantasy Island thing...............I'd ask to jam with SRV............would have been amazing to watch him play

Ah yes, the late 70's TV line ups. Watched all those shows when they were NEW as a child.

Anyhow, my answer: The Who circa late 60's/early 70's.

I would say sitting behind the kit with the Beatles for the Ed Sullivan Show. I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I do like them. However that would be one's highlight in any musical career. That or playing for AC/DC during the Bon Scott years. That would have been pretty darn cool!!!

Is there really any question here? I wanna play drums with Ringo! The actual fantasy would be me, Ringo and Jim Keltner playing drums for The original Traveling Wilbury's line up. Yep...that pretty much does it for me.

Bo: I couldn't find a clip of them actually playing but here's a clipt from the episode you were talking about. Man, I had forgotten how bad this show really was...lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMPl5chfqwk

Ironically, I think every generation looks back on what they used to watch and note how bad it is !

Pretty funny Scott. Gave me the days first laugh, thanks.

I'd ask that Sticks4drums take up the clarinet.

Then some clarinet forum would've been inundated with his impressive clarinet collection and members getting badgered about how Bundy makes the best clarinets or something ;)

It'd be a different kind of hell for a different set of people.

Then some clarinet forum would've been inundated with his impressive clarinet collection and members getting badgered about how Bundy makes the best clarinets or something ;)

It'd be a different kind of hell for a different set of people.

Spread the love, I say :)

I'm not sure who would play the guest (or antagonist in this case). Maybe Weird Al ?

Play one song with the BeaTles or a song with Jimmy Smith, jazz organist.

I would be Buddy of course.
I could play as I wished and be glorified while I said whatever I wanted to anyone. Does it get any better than that?

Back