Ian Paice

That was Tremendous! I have never seen that before looks to be late 80's Thanks Ian you have great taste in drummers

Yeah!!! Pete York's Super Drumming concept album and TV show about drummers from the mid 80's.

Really groovy...

Still got that double album on vinyl records...

Ha! interesting mix of people. thanks for that.
The fastest tempo I've ever heard David Gilmour play at. I don't know if Nick Mason could have kept up.

Good question!

I have been searching Paice's cymbals subject for some time to clarify concerns.

It is confirmed that Ian is a full-blown Paiste player and is an Paiste Official Artist Since April 1971. As per quite few drumming articles and cymbal reviews, during 1960 to 1971 he played Giant Beats until the 2002's emerged and switched to them until the present.

Regarding the Speed King video, looking at the top flat of the cymbal bells...they give the impression of 602's line set.

The 602's are since 1959 and Giant Beats since 1960...so just 1 year difference between cymbals!

so the Speed King vid - what cymbals you think he was using? Its 1970.... so GB's? they don't look the right sizes. I'm guessing 602's, as to my knowledge he was always a Paiste guy.

Last edited:
Ian Paice--not enough said.....

I started playing guitar when my sister brought home a little 45 of deep purple playing 'Hard Road' from the late 60's. I heard it and went, wow, what the heck? i want to play guitar. Since I started learning drums I went and listened to some old DP stuff and went, WOW, what the heck? I want to play drums.....

Ian Paice is absolutely incredible. And after starting to learn 'Bloodsucker' from Deep Purple in Rock, I realize now why everyone says to practice rudiments because to keep that groove I can see that Paice is a very technical rudimentary drummer.

I saw the thread comparing Bonham and Paice, and they are like the alternate universe mirror of each other--Paice the very technical, linear, rudimentary drummer, Bonham the very improvisational, non-linear, esoteric type drummer, yet each could easily slide into the others style, I think, with ease.

I think paice would have been one of the few drummers who could have filled Bonhams shoes in Zepplin, and Bonham one of few that could have filled the role in DP. Both so alike yet so different. ...so that is my rant about Ian Paice, who I consider one-half (Bonham being the other half) of the drummer that defined hard rock.

In his own words " I'm a swing drummer that plays rock."
I won't argue with that.
The man can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

He is easily one of my favorite drummers of ALL TIME!

I am glad to see other drummers who share my love of Ian Paice. It was 35 years ago when I first heard the Machine Head album and as a "guitar freak" teenager, I actually paid more attention to the drums than the guitar and got hooked on Ian Paice. To this day, I enjoy hearing his playing more than anybody else's. Perfect blend of technique and groove/swing.

A huge influence on me.. His speed, precision, but most of all inventiveness, is all the more inspiring hearing it 40 years later and realising it is still relevant, still brilliant, and still perfect for the music.

Like Taye-Dyed, I have the Ian Paice signature snare drum..

I'm not an aficionado of everyone that has great snare work, but my ears perk up when I hear it...
What grabbed me with Ian is his snare work. My Deep Purple catalog is deep so I've been hearing his playing for maybe 40 years? Has it been that long?

Clearly a fantastic player...

I saw Purple in the 70s. New haven Civic Center as I recall.

The silver sparkle 5 pc. I was amazed at how fluid he was. He made everything look totally effortless. I forget the warm up band that night, but I remember thinking THERE is the difference between a good drummer and a great drummer.

Absolutely love Deep Purple and Ian Paice. Have been listening to them my whole life as my dad is a huge fan, so I had no choice (not a bad thing at all).

A couple weeks ago I watched DP with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra from 1969. I was thoroughly impressed with not only the performance and how well it was, but also that Ian was reading charts right along with the rest of the musicians. Thoroughly impressed indeed!

Absolutely love Deep Purple and Ian Paice. Have been listening to them my whole life as my dad is a huge fan, so I had no choice (not a bad thing at all).

A couple weeks ago I watched DP with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra from 1969. I was thoroughly impressed with not only the performance and how well it was, but also that Ian was reading charts right along with the rest of the musicians. Thoroughly impressed indeed!

Paice reading charts? he has just slipped a notch in my esteem.

Back