Ludwig Supraphonic 14inch 6.5

piperdoog

Silver Member
Hello, I need some advice on where to get my hands on a Ludwig 14inch 6.5 Supraphonic snare. I live in British Columbia, and the best price I've found, regardless of year is about 500$. If not a Luddy, does anyone have any advice on a steel, brass etc snare that has the same sort of bite the Supraphonic has, without the price tag?
Thanks alot.
Greg

Last edited:
Ya I've been keeping my eyes there but nothing has come around. With the whole ebay thing you can find good deals, only problem is with me living in Canada by the time you put in shipping costs and exchange, hidden fees etc, I probably could get a new one for cheaper.
Thanks for the response.

Here is an older thread dealing with this topic in detail:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31143

I ended up buying a new one, because a vintage in the shape I wanted it would be over $500. I found a new one for only $312.

Whichever you decide to get, you're gonna love it.

You beat me by 3 bucks!

315 shipped to my door.

Unbelieveable snares!!!! You wont be sorry. I wouldn't by another drum. You can find them on ebay for reasonably cheap.

Hey Piperdog, Get the LM 402 Supraphonic NEW !. You will not be disappointed. Change the stock heads and then you will have one of the best snares ever made. You know you want it !!

Thanks for the response guys, I'm gonna get one I do love that sound, hard to match it.
I'll let ya know how things go.
Thanks again.

I am very close to ordering a Ludwig Classic Maple (either Bubinga Waterfall or one of the sparkles) and am not getting the matching snare as I want to hold off and get one of these puppies...a snare that owns.

O.K. Me again, I've done some looking around and the best deal, (me being in Canada) is about 500$ plus tax, so about 540$ for the 402 14x6.5... Where are you guys getting these for 315$?
I will get one but will just take a little longer if I have to pay this price.
Cheers

Really not sure but wouldn't surprise me, everybody recorded with that snare, most recorded snare in history from what I understand.

O.K. Me again, I've done some looking around and the best deal, (me being in Canada) is about 500$ plus tax, so about 540$ for the 402 14x6.5... Where are you guys getting these for 315$?
I will get one but will just take a little longer if I have to pay this price.
Cheers

That $312 I quoted was before tax, and I didn't have to pay shipping. Got it at my local Sam Ash store during one of their weekend sales. It was something like 20% or 25% off their usual price.

If your'e looking to spend less, consider an Acrolite. Here's a link for a new one:
http://www.westcoastdrums.com/luacalshsndr1.html
Or maybe you could find a used one in great condition.

after seeing the pearl post you might want to consider the Pearl "Ian Paice" snare looks

similar and Ian used a superphonic when he was endorced by Ludwig.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Back