Getting another snare. But which one

PDL

I currently own two snare drums. A Sonor 14 x 4 Lite (Birch), which has loads of attack and volume, is dry so great for recording but the tone sits perfectly for cutting through live. I have a Tama 14 x 8 Bubinga which is the same but has massive mids and lows which gives me something different.

So if I was to add a third snare what should I add and why? I don't think I need another wood snare.

Re: Getting another snare but which one?

I will go ahead and say to get a Black Beauty or an Acrolite, because I am sure you will get a ton of people saying the same thing. Both great snares and by all accounts very versatile.

I will go ahead and say to get a Black Beauty or an Acrolite, because I am sure you will get a ton of people saying the same thing. Both great snares and by all accounts very versatile.

^ Agreed. If you were to get something wood, I'd go maple, but it seems like a metal or acrylic snare would be the logical best choice. Maybe go with a 13 x 7 or something similar? That's definitely been my favorite size thus far. Loads of crack and tons of body.

+1.........................the BB is great, but pricey........................IMO, the acro is the best "deal" in the drumming world...........they sell, on average, for around 100 bucks...........a "student" snare that almost every drummer I know has played ...................... and I've yet to hear anything bad about an acro

Priced in the middle of those two, a Supra would also be a great snare to get your hands on.

BB Acrolite or Supraphonic would be my choices. In fact I will be getting one of those as soon as I can get the funds. I miss my supra from the 70s!!!!

Last edited:

An Acrolite is a good drum to try out, and it's cheap. If you like it, splurge and get a Supraphonic, which gives you a similar tone, but crisper.

Get a Pork Pie BOB snare. If you like it, splurge and get a 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty.

Get a Slingerland Artist or Hollywood Ace snare. Wood, I know, but the rounded bearing edges and 3 ply shells have a unique sound which is unique to the snares you have. If you like the sound, consider getting a Radio King.

Have you tried DW Edge snares? Those have their own sound, too.

I’m a new forum member and I wanted to perhaps contribute.

I have several snares in my collection that I purchased new over many years (Sonor D525, Tama Brass PM343, Ludwig Supraphonic) and just bought a new Sonor ProLite 14x5 Walnut Brown Burst. As you will note, the ProLite is the first wood snare I purchased in a lot of years playing and I could not be happier, as it has a snappier sound for the music I’m now playing. As many have said, it really is up to you to choose the sound you like. Some things to consider in addition to the sound: what (snare) heads do you use, do you do rim shots, how is the durability, are you using mic’ing, , what type of music played, etc. If $$ is not and issue, and you can find one, the Noble & Cooley (Zildjian) Alloy Snare (they now go up for sale in the $2K range from time to time) is probably one of the best (sounding) snares you can find.

some form of Black beauty. 7 x 13 is hard to beat.

I think every drummer should have a maple, aluminum and brass snare. 3 different tones that covers virtually every song ever recorded.

Well i only need two,wood and steel.
Thats all i need to cover the sounds i required

May I suggest checking into a wittman stave snare drum. Hand made quality, made to order.

Mike, I wish you would exercise a little more class in promoting your wares on here. These completely unsubtle sales pitches are what give the malcontents fuel when they want to complain about Andy talking about his R&D.

May I suggest checking into a Dre25 stave snare drum. Hand made quality, made to order.

Since you already have two wood snares my suggestion would be to consider a Ludwig 6.5 X 14" hammered bronze snare drum. If you decide to get two "metal" snares then I would recommend adding on a brass snare of your choice. I consider the hammered bronze shell to be a well kept secret.

Sorry did not mean to offend. There are some great drums here ...just thought I would throw some into the mix.

I think the proper thing to do would be to create a Wittman Drums section in the Gear Section and Give us all a rundown on your company, what you do and of course lots of pictures of the stuff you've made. If you have a snare to sell then you can place it in the classifieds section. Easy peasy.

Ok, I'm done Saturning this thread.

Every drummer should have a 5 x 14 metal shell Ludwig snare drum in their collection. Best value would be an Acrolite, but personally I prefer the 400 Ludaloy Supraphonic you can pick up a used one in good shape for not a lot of dough. My personal favourite Ludwig snare drum is the Black Beauty , though the Ludaloy Supra is the most recorded snare drum for a reason they sound great are incredibly versatile and are plentiful used.

If your playing Rock, then I would get a LM402

I always think you should have opposites. If you already wood snares, get some kind of metal one. Then you're covering two distinct sounds. I'll let everyone else suggest which one, as there are so many of them out there. How about different sizes? Maybe a 13 too?

Since you already have two wood snares my suggestion would be to consider a Ludwig 6.5 X 14" hammered bronze snare drum. If you decide to get two "metal" snares then I would recommend adding on a brass snare of your choice. I consider the hammered bronze shell to be a well kept secret.

+1, I have one of these and it ranks up there. Also look at the N&C Alloy Classic.

Back