Anyone have this new Gretsch snare yet?

I've never heard a bad brass snare but it's not much to look at. The sensitone doesn't cost a whole lot more, I'd look at that too.

At a glance.

It's a brass supra clone that's 1mm thick instead of 2mm.

Much like every $200 supra clone, it probably sounds a bit like a brass supra but will lack in clarity, sensitivity, and overtone. It probably does a acceptable job for its price range, though the youtube video is pretty unflattering.

On the plus side, you won't have to buy a new P85 every time you stand up and have it catch on your shorts. It's also pretty and probably sits well with Gretsch's intermediate kits (Catalina)

At a glance.

It's a brass supra clone that's 1mm thick instead of 2mm.

Much like every $200 supra clone, it probably sounds a bit like a brass supra but will lack in clarity, sensitivity, and overtone. It probably does a acceptable job for its price range, though the youtube video is pretty unflattering.

On the plus side, you won't have to buy a new P85 every time you stand up and have it catch on your shorts. It's also pretty and probably sits well with Gretsch's intermediate kits (Catalina)

I've owned a couple of suprahonics over the years and recently played a legend brass drum (it was set up on a Renown kit I was trying out)

It sounded pretty good in store, but not great. The one I tried had a stock head on it and I think it sounded on the thin side...weak compared to a supra. It was tuned on the high side and I dropped it down a bit and found that it started to sound flat pretty quick. Unlike the supra which gets into a meaty territory before going flat.

Still, it had enough tone to it to make me think a better head combo would add some life to it. I'd buy it for $179.

My primary snare is a Gretsch 6.5x14 Legend Brass. Here is my review from three years ago when I had owned it for about a month.

After 3 years, it is still my favorite snare and I don't see that changing any time soon. I put the original batter hoop back on it about a year ago, played it with a Remo CS reverse black dot for a long time, and I now have an Aquarian Modern Vintage II batter head and it sounds great.

Under $200 US? Quite possibly the best deal on a new brass snare drum ever.

I prefer 1mm with brass... add 8 lugs, 5.5" depth and dual adjustable strainer= world-beating.

My primary snare is a Gretsch 6.5x14 Legend Brass. Here is my review from three years ago when I had owned it for about a month.

After 3 years, it is still my favorite snare and I don't see that changing any time soon. I put the original batter hoop back on it about a year ago, played it with a Remo CS reverse black dot for a long time, and I now have an Aquarian Modern Vintage II batter head and it sounds great.

To be fair the 6.5 is a different design, reverse center bead and more, heavier lugs attached in different areas than the 5.5/others. The 6.5 is the only drum in that genus with a reverse bead.

To be fair the 6.5 is a different design, reverse center bead and more, heavier lugs attached in different areas than the 5.5/others. The 6.5 is the only drum in that genus with a reverse bead.

The 6.5" deep Legend snare definitely does not have a reverse bead and it is the same design as the 5.5" deep snare. The same 1mm brass shell, the same strainer, the same rims, and the same heads. The only difference is that the 5.5 has a single bridge-style lug instead of dual lugs (since the lugs would have been too close together if they tried to use dual lugs).

I know that the 5.5 would sound a little different than a 6.5, but I posted my review on this drum so that the original poster could have some kind of first-hand information from someone who has a drum in this series. I haven't seen many reviews of the Legend and I wanted to give my experience with a comparable (but not necessarily the same depth) drum so that the OP could make an informed decision.

The 6.5" deep Legend snare definitely does not have a reverse bead and it is the same design as the 5.5" deep snare. The same 1mm brass shell, the same strainer, the same rims, and the same heads. The only difference is that the 5.5 has a single bridge-style lug instead of dual lugs (since the lugs would have been too close together if they tried to use dual lugs).

I know that the 5.5 would sound a little different than a 6.5, but I posted my review on this drum so that the original poster could have some kind of first-hand information from someone who has a drum in this series. I haven't seen many reviews of the Legend and I wanted to give my experience with a comparable (but not necessarily the same depth) drum so that the OP could make an informed decision.

I was half right, thanks for clarifying. The rest of the line 12. 13 .14 have bridge lugs mimicking the legendary LUDWIG design, and don't know why they didn't use the same on the 6.5. My guess is they didn't want to invest in a large order of longer tension rods, its odd ball for sure compared to the others in the line.

At $300 for the 6.5" model, the 'legend' theme aspect is soiled with the single lugs IMO. Its not really 'legend' like.

For $85 more than the 6.5 you can get this.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 395
About Les Ismore
Biography
Leslie Ismore ... is a girl

Back