What has been your best drum score?

Just a little over 2 years ago I decided I had the drumming itch again after about a 20 year layoff. I really wanted a Gretsch Catalina Rock Kit. Did not want really want to spend $900 on what I believed to be a very good mid-range kit. I waited and patiently waited and finally one showedup locally on Craigslist.(The original white nitron, larger drum sized kit) ffor $650. I emailed the guy and told him I would love to buy the drums but they were still a bit out of my price range. About a week goes by and he sends me an email and says he will sell them to me for $450. I bought them 2 days later. Recently sold them for $525 so THAT was a great deal.

My original drum set was bought for me by my father in 1970. It was a 4 piece Apollo in White Marine pearl with hi-hats and a Zildjian Ride, all for $100. As I got older and knew more about drums I realized that the set of hats were a pair of 14" Paiste 602's pre-serial number. I remember i eventually cracked the top hat so i flipped them and used them that way for years until I eventually sold them and whatever kit I had back then. The guy, to whom I sold all of my stuff, is a friend of mine and he still has the bottom 602 hat. I keep trying to find a way to get it back from him. :0

Bought these from a guy in Maine about eleven years ago. I think I paid $225. 12 14 20 w/ matching snare-

DSC02111_zps12a63bee.jpg

I've often referred to my first snare drum as a bit of a great deal... I received it, and the rest of my (horrible) first drum kit, for $200. Turned out the snare was a 60's Ludwig Pioneer in blue duco, worth well over $200 all on its own. (Sold it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.)

More recently, scored a near-mint set of 13" K/Z hats from the 80's for $100 (saving about $250-$300).

............I have to admit.......I think I'm addicted to searching Craigslist and Ebay for deals.

I've had some great deals over the years, but this was my best one.............

Picked up a DW Collectors 4 piece kit, with a Tama piccolo snare, DW 5000 hardware (2 Booms, 1 straight, double tom stand and hat stand), Older Zildjian cymbals (20" Ride, 2 crashes, new A custom splash and new quick beat hats) and bags for all of the drums for...............

Wait for it.

$700 cash

Amazing deal.........and no, they were not stolen.

Gotta love Craigslist

Canopus HS-1465-10PH for $65. Played it for a fortnight and received an offer I couldn't refuse for it.

005a_zps1b9ea238.jpg

Well, there was this cute girl that came up to talk to me after a show. One thing leads to another, and---Oh, this is about gear, nevermind!

Hmmmm let me see:

My latest kit from GC's used gear a few years back. A four-piece Peace kit in a sunset fade-like finish. Not sure on the model, so I'm still attempting to figure that out. I always thought it was a DNA (intermediate side with iso-mounts), but can't see they ever made one with a 22" x 20" bass drum (with fusion size toms) or in this finish. It came with a steel hand-hammered snare, as well as a brass snare (both Peace).

All that for $325!!!

A pair of hollow logo vintage (I think 70s) Zildjian 14" hats for $50 on Craigslist. A bit too heavy for my taste, but I ended up selling them for $200 to get the ride and hi hats I'm currently using.

Okay, there's more, but I'm done.

I have had a few,

I picked up a pair of vintage Zilco 14" marching cymbals in an antique store for 60 bucks. I use them as hi-hat bottoms and love them.

I bought at vinatge TAMA superstar 5 piece kit online, never saw a snare in the picture and really didnt care, I was after the rest. I paid 350.00 for it. When I open the boxes it turned out to be a 6.5 x 14 rosewood mastercraft snare.

20" Zildjian K - pawn shop, 60 bucks

15 vintage Zildjian 15" thin crash 40 bucks

I picked up a mint shure 545 for 15 bucks

I LOVE pawn shops ;-)

I got my beloved Black Beauty LB416T for 450€ in absolute perfect condition and with guarantee.
That snare was used once or twice maybe. It goes for app. 800 € at Thomann Store

Last week I purchased a 1972 blue sparkle set of ludwigs 12 13 16 22,blue and olive badge,collectors, the dude through in a 62 ducco snare, a set of roto toms 2 high hat stands a snare stand ,top of the line tama throne, cymbal stands to no end, all in excellent condition....1000.00 dollars

1961 ludwig superclassic kit with supraphonic snare..... For $180! Great condition too. Thank you craigslist!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 481
@Kelly... So what was your weapon of choice? Just kidding. Are you sure that wasn't $1800? Which would still be a good deal. Woe is me.

Last week I purchased a 1972 blue sparkle set of ludwigs 12 13 16 22,blue and olive badge,collectors, the dude through in a 62 ducco snare, a set of roto toms 2 high hat stands a snare stand ,top of the line tama throne, cymbal stands to no end, all in excellent condition....1000.00 dollars

Have to say I don't have any deals to brag about.

Don't know if it's because I'm unlucky or just cheap though - LOL.

This confuses me! Stop it! Hahaha ;-)

Kelly I paid more than that for my 60s snare alone....What a great deal...@ through, careful dude I ended up marrying one of those cute girls many years later....sorry about the confusion. :]

$80 for a Pearl Steel 3.5" Free Floater, similar price for a 3" x 13" Remo snare, and a friend is indefinitely lending me his old kit and two snares, as many of you know.

@Kelly... So what was your weapon of choice? Just kidding. Are you sure that wasn't $1800? Which would still be a good deal. Woe is me.

Sounds crazy, I know... But it's true. It was posted at 1am one night and I bought it within 12hrs of its posting lol. I don't believe they knew what they had. Surprisingly, they told me they had it out on the curb at a yard sale the weekend before, and nobody bought it!?!? I paid the asking price, without regret, but almost felt bad about it... 'Til I played them! An opportunity like that will probably never happen again, but I still scan craigslist daily with my eyes peeled and my hopes high.

Rogers Dyasonic snare 10.00 garage sale

I recently picked up a new Brady 14x6.5 Jarrah ply black hart snare for $500, reduced down from more than $1,500. I have wanted a Brady for several years, but could not afford one, until Billy Hyde closed their doors and were almost giving stuff away on the last day or so. I could not believe my luck.

Back