Drum Recording

buzzbuzz

We're supposed to go into the studio soon. I'm new to recording. I have a Mapex Saturn. We recorded last week w/ a guy(engineer) but he got replaced w/ another (better) guy. The new guy was there last time and listened to my drum tracks. He said the kick sounded like crap and when we came back in to start over, he would remove my front kick head. WTH? I also have a port on the head.
Any advice? Just doesn't sound tight to me but I'm not the 'expert'.

You can do either. It's a question of personal preference and the sound you're trying to get. What sort of music is it?

There are a ton of techniques for recording drums, and a the kick drum is usually the most difficult to get a good sound out of. Some people take the head off, some put the mic outside the head, some put it in the drum, some do both, there's also all the different angles and spots you can place the mic. There is no "right" way to record drums, if it sounds good it sounds good. Maybe you should try and work with him to try and get a sound that you both agree sounds good, instead of just writing him off so quickly.

Two thoughts came to mind. He might prefer a cleaner, less resonant sound. Either that or he feels he'll be able to control the sound better.

Agree with TNA, you could have a friendly chat with the engineer and see where the middle ground lies ... it might just be a matter of tuning and/or dampening.

What did you think of the kick sound on playback, Buzz? In the end, it's your recording and the sound should be as close as possible to what the bandleader or band as a whole thinks will best complement the tune.

I agree with TNA, don't write him off, KILL HIM!!! Is he the producer? I'm guessing probably not. Unless he can tell you exactly why he's going for a certain sound, then he's just being a lazy b%^^$%d. The sound is up to the producer, whoever that may be. If you've handed control to the sound tech, then it's up to him. If not, then you tell him what kind of sound you want. If he really needs to remove the reso head to get the sound you've specified, then fine, but unless you want something very specifically 80's concert kick, it really is just a "start with a dull thud & build it up" kinda lazy deal. Aaarrrggghhhhh.

We're supposed to go into the studio soon. I'm new to recording. I have a Mapex Saturn. We recorded last week w/ a guy(engineer) but he got replaced w/ another (better) guy. The new guy was there last time and listened to my drum tracks. He said the kick sounded like crap and when we came back in to start over, he would remove my front kick head. WTH? I also have a port on the head.

Have you heard any tracks this guy has recorded? Ask him for some samples of what sound he's going for. If it's the same sound you want, do what he says. If you're not impressed by anything he's done hold your ground and/or maybe find a better engineer.

Is he the producer? I'm guessing probably not. Unless he can tell you exactly why he's going for a certain sound, then he's just being a lazy b%^^$%d. The sound is up to the producer, whoever that may be./QUOTE]

Many bands go into the studio and produce their own tracks. I've been in the studio and my guitarist who wrote the songs let the engineer/studio owner take over the production. It was a disaster. He let the guy walk all over him. I didn't see eye to eye with the guy between my drum concept for the song and his so I walked out on the project. No regrets.
By the way I'm not telling you to walk away, just to beware of engineers who think they are omnipotent.
I've encountered many engineers who want you to take off the front head and toss a blanket in your bass drum. Keep in mind that sound does have it's place.

Funnily enough just been in the studio with someone else's Saturn today. I've used the exact kit a gig before and the bass drum was truly awful without muffling. However, in the studio, the bass drum with the reso head off, and the mic stuck in right by the batter, its sounded great in the mix. Obviously a lot of EQ effected the sound though, so might sound shitey live, especially without a kick mic!

I've recorded where the engineer asked me to take off the reso head and I went along. It sounded great, too. Last time I went to record, the engineer asked me to leave the reso on and take out my security blanket. I was a little reluctant but I tried it. We did an A/B comparison just to make sure that was the way to go, and he was right. So that's how we did it.

Different engineers use different tricks to get sounds they know sound good. Most I've recorded with have just told me to leave my kick the way it is since that's the way I normally play it (ported reso with small blanket).

The only point where I become inflexible is when you take off the reso, the action off the head becomes a lot less controllable and it affects my playing. If I can tighten the head up a bit and keep a blanket on it, then I'm good, otherwise the reso stays.

As long as the band is the "producer" then make him work with what your sound is (assuming you arrived at your sound on purpose!). But they have their own areas of expertise, too, so as long as what he wants doesn't compromise what you're doing, try to stay open-minded.

He might be going for a really close up sound to minimise spill so he can trigger samples from your kick.

Also, it might not sound great to you sat behind the kit but out in front or through a mic it might sound awesome.

In my experience kick sound is so heavily affected by comp and eq anyway, and with drum replacement if you're lazy/pushed for time you can get anything to sound a million dollars :)

buzzbuzz -

I wouldn't give it a second thought. For about 25 years, the lion's share of pop music was recorded with bass drum's without reso heads. It is still a completely viable way of getting many great sounds. So unless you have really strong feelings as to why it would not be appropriate to your production - I would just follow his lead.

For myself - if an engineer who seems to know his stuff suggests changing something that doesn't directly hinder my ability to play (ie: "Can we move the hihat w--a--y o--v--e--r here?" "Uh...no.") then I'm usually game to give it a try. And taking off the BD reso isn't even remotely unusual.

Have fun with your session!

David

Back