R.I.P.: LOUIE BELLSON

A little bit of Louie lives on in all of us. He is one of the greats. Louie lived to play and played to live. He will be missed.

Well this is pretty... shocking. What a loss.

Poor Louie, and all his family. I was blwn away the first time I heard his drumming and he's always been a big bit of inspiration. I had hopes of someday meeting him, but there we go.

May he rest in peace.

T

I remember as a kid, begging (and ultimately convincing) my parents to let me stay up late whenever Louie would play on the Tonight Show (I used to check the TV Guide each week to see if he or Buddy were going to be on). Man, I'd be hyped for what seemed like weeks afterward, on inspiration overload!

Thank you, Mr. Bellson, for all you gave to us.

spleen

1977, Lincoln Park, MI,....my first clinic, ....Louis!! I'll never forget it!!

RIP

Louie was not only a legendary drummer but he was also a tremendously courageous and ethical man. He was married to another legend, Pearl Bailey, who also happened to be African-American.

This was at a time when blacks were viewed/treated as second-class citizens. Interracial marriages were considered scandalous. He had to defend her honor on more than one occasion with his fists.

He was a man who walked the walk. The world needs more like him.

RIP Sir.

A lot of people have reminded me today of my good fortune for having spent time with Louie. You know when all that's going on, you don't think so much about it. You just assume everything will always be the same and that you will have access to a person into eternity. Today, all those times are burning into my head, and it's a wierd feeling.

I especially feel that way about our last meeting. It was at the 1st year revival of the Louie Bellson National Drum Competition. It took place in his home town of Rock Falls, Illinois. It will be 4 years ago in June, and I was in the 9th grade.

I was the youngest finalist they ever had at the thing, and it really got me thinking about the bigger picture. The whole audition proccess was a submit CD deal. I remember it was pretty detailed. You had to demonstrate a bunch of styles, play along to a music minus one Duke Ellington track, then play a 3 minute solo. The comp itself followed the same format. Before I auditioned, the main concern was my family's prior relationship with Louie, conflict of interest stuff etc... But according to the competition committee, he would have nothing to do with the judging, and it turned out that he didn't. So I was cool.

Besides, as my folks told me: He's not going to remember you anyway.

See, Louie had some health struggles in the last years, and without getting too into it, let's just say they were things that seriously affected his legendary sharpness. Along with the medical condition, he had been hit by a car a few years before, trying to cross the street in LA. His last 10 years were something else. I had seen him at the Long Beach IAJE earlier that year, and he didn't even seem to remember Mom and Dad, much less me.

Mom drove me the 8 hours from Flint Michigan to Rock Falls. Dad was still in Romania with his jazz camp. Besides he didn't want to risk somebody remembering him. Like I've already said, we knew everything was on the up and up, but you had to assume that another competitor would cry foul if they lost, and I wouldn't blame them for at least wondering.

When we got to the venue, Louie came up and shook hands with the 4 finalists. They ranged from the oldest guy, who was 20, to me. The age limit for the comp was 21. The Bellson National had supposedly always been a kid's contest, even back in the 60s and 70s, when thousands tried to get in. And as predicted, Louie didn't remember me from Adam. But just to be on the safe side, Mom never got in direct sight with him. But he just seemed like he was off in space.

The competition itself was the most professional drum comp I had ever seen. I especially liked how they placed all of us in a soundproof room when it wasn't our turn. This kept people from having their ideas stolen. That was a very strange thing, because you were left to stare uncomfortably at the other 3 guys. One of them started to laugh and talk foolishness, but the others/including me/ knew he was the one who was going to lose. The rest of us just sat there stone faced.

Mom said it was a very intense comp, and that everyone was deserving. But it eventually came down to 2 guys/ the 20 year old and me. The contest had been declared a tie by the judges and we were both required to perform an extra solo. With the tie breaker being a surprise, no one was there to guard the soundproof door. So after my solo I was able to crack the door slightly to hear my competition. The other guy was really, really strong, but I thought I had taken him, and was feeling pretty good about myself. Then there was this big sound in the audience when the special tie breaker judge was announced. Well sure enough, from the back of the room here comes Louie.

Now I'm experiencing all kinds of mixed emotions. I still don't think he's recognized me, but now what happens when I win this thing and somebody discovers the history and complains? That was what was going through my mind when Louie announced that the winner of the 2005 Louie Bellson National Drumset Competition was:

The other guy.

I couldn't believe it. How could Louie not have gotten it right? I thought. Of course I really knew better. The other guy was super excellent, and all that was confirmed when I saw the videos later. I was just a little irked that a possibly better guy had gotten me. In fact, there's this really funny picture of Louie shaking my hand after the comp. The look on my face speaks volumes.

Then there was this uncomfortable several hours where we all attended a banquet, then heard Louie play guest star in a local big band. The guest of honor stuff was really supposed to go to the winner of the comp. But Louie insisted we both receive equal public recognition. At the concert, we were introduced together as kind of co winners. I had never seen something like that before. Still, the other guy received many cool prizes, while I got a crash cymbal. So it really wasn't the same lol.

What amazed me about the concert was how for just a brief time, Louie had recovered much of his legendary skill. I had really worried about this beforehand, because you never want to see an icon embarrassed. But he played really great-not the godlike level of before, but still great. In fact, you wondered how he overcame everything to sound so good.
It was a miracle really. Then you'd look in his eyes, and it just seemed like the playing woke him up. He was totally different with those sticks in his hand, physical problems aside.

When the concert was over, I got up to leave when Louie yells from across the stage Hey Matt, tell your dad I said hello. I was shocked. For at least that brief moment, he remembered. Then I started to wonder if he had known all along. I don't think so, Mom said. I think the memory was temporary. Then sure enough, Mom walks right by him and looks him square in the eye, and Louie doesn't show any kind of recognition.

The next year, I had planned to go back. But they changed the date or something, and by that time I had already purchased my plane ticket for the WFD World Championship that I later won. I was very disappointed when I later learned that the quality of competitors had really dipped, and that the comp had been won by someone I didn't feel was in the same league as the finalists the year before. Then the following year, they didn't even have the comp, which got everyone out of the habit. By the time it rolled around this year, it just wasn't the same, and I had no interest in going.

Yeah, it's funny the stuff you remember on a day like this.

Tragic loss, God Bless Louie...and Thank You.

A huge loss. I grew up watching Louie on the Tonight show.

A sad day for the world of drumming.

RIP.

I am a bit angered by the fact that none of the media has mentioned this. I did a search on Google News search and did get a few news hits, but from Jazz websites only. Unbelievable!

Can't believe the useless filler they put in those online news pages and when something like this occurs there is no mention. By now someone should be on this, even though perhaps the family did choose not to notify the media. (I did send a rather coarse email to Associated Press on impulse this afternoon!! :) )

Sorry for the rant, but this should just not be.

Louie Bellson was one of THE gentlemen of the world! he was my first real drum idol, even though I had known of Gene Krupa, and that was even before I heard of Buddy Rich.

This cuts deep.

Sad to see an era all slip away slowly.

It is venues like Drummerworld that keep this all alive! (many thanks, Bernhard!)

FOREVER!

RIP LOUIE!

I debated whether or not to add to this thread but in the end decided I should. Frankly, I think I would have kept my thoughts to myself had it not been for Matt's post. Thanks Matt!!

It has been a while since I have felt a sense of personal loss and it is a feeling I have not missed. That I should feel this way over a man I only met twice - and each time briefly - is surprising to me. I grew up watching Louie. When I was first introduced to him in my early 20's I was at a loss for words, starstruck and foolish. He seemed to know, to understand and not to judge. He was charming and disarming. When I met him ten years later I told him how I felt when I shook his hand for the first time and he smiled and said he had felt the same way many times in his younger days when meeting people he had watched from afar.

He was an improvisational giant and boy could he swing. He was also a brave, strong, elegant and charming man. I felt I knew him even though I did not.

Much love and respect to Louie's family and to his legacy which will last longer than all of us.

Paul

When creativity flows through the sticks and brushes like they did for Louis, we can only tap into his beauty with open ears and hearts.

I debated whether or not to add to this thread but in the end decided I should. Frankly, I think I would have kept my thoughts to myself had it not been for Matt's post. Thanks Matt!!

It has been a while since I have felt a sense of personal loss and it is a feeling I have not missed. That I should feel this way over a man I only met twice - and each time briefly - is surprising to me. I grew up watching Louie. When I was first introduced to him in my early 20's I was at a loss for words, starstruck and foolish. He seemed to know, to understand and not to judge. He was charming and disarming. When I met him ten years later I told him how I felt when I shook his hand for the first time and he smiled and said he had felt the same way many times in his younger days when meeting people he had watched from afar.

He was an improvisational giant and boy could he swing. He was also a brave, strong, elegant and charming man. I felt I knew him even though I did not.

Much love and respect to Louie's family and to his legacy which will last longer than all of us.

Paul

Same here. I'd never met Louie. I remember all those Tonight Shows. Johnny Carson really did love Louie, Ed and Buddy.

RIP Louie Bellson

There was a thread a short awhile ago asking if you've ever cried at the passing of an icon.....When I read that Louis had passed just now I felt a hot tear streaming down my cheek.

I never had the priviledge of seeing him live, sadly, but he was a very big influence on me and he will be greatly missed.

My prayers and condolences to his family.

I Love you man, R.I.P.

I was going to post this yesterday, but was too sad to put all my thoughts into words. Many of the posts have covered it by now anyway, but I just had to share my quick story:

I took lessons from Hank Bellson, Louie's brother, back in the early 80's. The lessons were at Hank's house, in a detached garage that was converted into a studio for teaching. Hank is left handed, and so he had two kits set up, one righty and one lefty, facing each other. One day, I go for my lesson, and Louie and Pearl are there, for a family visit! (Hank was married to Pearl's sister, Louise!) So it's the two brothers, and two sisters, just hangin' out. Hank says: "Sorry, I forgot we had a lesson today, I'll have to reschedule you." Louie says, "No, let's give him a lesson he'll never forget." So, Hank, Louie, and I go out to the studio. I never got my lesson, but was treated to the most incredible drum battle as the two Bellson brothers sat on the facing kits, trading licks for my half hour time slot!

I will NEVER forget that! Thank you Louie, may you rest in peace.

Wow!

Not much I can say after all that's been said above, and what's still to be said. Unfortunately, I didn't follow Mr. Bellson very much, but from what I've seen I have no doubt he was a genius. He will be missed. Out of respect, I've posted a short blog entry at The Paradiddler - I definitely want him on my site!

A Drumming Genius Is Gone

Now we must drum on.

We are very fortunate to have had Louie with us for so long. Every time I watch him play I learn something.

I've sent NPR a link to drummerworld. They reported the story in about 10 seconds at 7am CST this morning.

Maybe you'll do the same. Maybe we can get this very important story told to the rest of the world.

http://www.npr.org/about/pitch/story.html

Back