Drumming without a drumkit!

But even if I'm not lucky enough, I'll keep track for when it's available to Canada. I'm especially interested in the "automatic notation while playing" feature. I think I'll be very helpful for transcribing the drums for my band.

Is it possible to switch the left foot between hi hat and double bass??

While live transcription is cool, we decided that it wasn't a very useful feature. Instead, Aerodrums allows you to save any performance to a file and you will eventually be able to import this file into Aered to see the music notation for what you played. This feature is not in the version of Aered that we are lauching today on aerodrums.com but it is something we are actively working on.

As for your question about pedals, Aerodrums drumkits are fully configurable so if you want you could have a pedal to the left of the hihat pedal triggering a cowbell, and a pedal to the right triggering your second kick.....or more! You can have as many pedals as you want. Same goes for hands - you can have as many drums/cymbals as you want and you can configure them to trigger whatever samples you want.

While live transcription is cool, we decided that it wasn't a very useful feature. Instead, Aerodrums allows you to save any performance to a file and you will eventually be able to import this file into Aered to see the music notation for what you played. This feature is not in the version of Aered that we are lauching today on aerodrums.com but it is something we are actively working on.

As for your question about pedals, Aerodrums drumkits are fully configurable so if you want you could have a pedal to the left of the hihat pedal triggering a cowbell, and a pedal to the right triggering your second kick.....or more! You can have as many pedals as you want. Same goes for hands - you can have as many drums/cymbals as you want and you can configure them to trigger whatever samples you want.

Awesome!!
Saving the performance and importing it to Aered serves the same purpose so I'm happy with that. It's also great that you can virtually configure the kit any way you want.
I'll definitely be checking Aered out and waiting for Aerodrums to be released.
If by any chance you get that spare copy, send me a private message ;)
Cheers

Last edited:
For those who are skeptical about air-drumming because of the lack of drum/cymbal rebound, we've made a video to show that there actually can be tactile feedback in air drumming that mimics what you feel when you hit a drum:

http://aerodrums.com/2014/01/aerodrums-air-drumming-and-rebound/

MPortnoy, it seems that we haven't made it past the spam filters of the big drum magazines so far, if it continues like this you'll probably get one of the spare review copies, I'll pm you after NAMM to tell you.

MPortnoy, it seems that we haven't made it past the spam filters of the big drum magazines so far, if it continues like this you'll probably get one of the spare review copies, I'll pm you after NAMM to tell you.

Thank you!! I'll keep my finger crossed and wait for your pm =)

I checked Aered out the other day and I was impressed. I'll definitely be looking forward the integration between it and Aerodrums.
Cheers

Still jet-lagged from flying to NAMM from Europe (Richard's on the plane from Dublin atm).
For the Drummerworld people going, we'll be at booth 2571.
Hope to see you there!

I'm getting one of these for sure! E-kits make too much noise for me to play around the house when my SO is at home, and on top of that I just love the gadget factor and social appeal of this thing.

Just tried ordering from Amazon UK, but they won't ship Aerodrums to Norway. Is there another way I can get hold of it?

edit: Posted about it in the official Aerodrums forums as well; hopefully I can get my hands on this soon :)

I have a vision of audience members playing along...and being sampled for immediate playback...or even switching between audience members who have the highest congruency rating for being put into the live mix....what fun!...maybe capture video of the audience member for playback along with the sample...or drop a spotlight on them when their playing gets fed into the live feed...

...CrowdSource...a band whos members change with the content of the audience...lol...

hmmm...this might actually work...

About to buy this and the camera but it doesn't ship to australia.
Gutted.

Was perfect for my needs.

Was looking at all the top of the line E-Kits which didn't do anything for me and here we have a device that not only is quiet but actually sounds better than those e-kits do!

Rang up the gf ,waxed lyrical about it,doing star jumps.

Got onto Amazon,put the items in and no show.

A bit down in the guts.

Loved the you tube of a Living Colour song using the aerodrums.

How far is Australian distribution?

And what will it cost for us?

Sorry about the disappointment. Unfortunately we were just about to make a deal with an Australian distributor but it fell through at the last minute.
We are now looking into selling directly in Australia, but it will take a while to setup. Mid August is the earliest it will happen.
I am sending you a pm.

Sorry about the disappointment. Unfortunately we were just about to make a deal with an Australian distributor but it fell through at the last minute.
We are now looking into selling directly in Australia, but it will take a while to setup. Mid August is the earliest it will happen.
I am sending you a pm.
Could you possibly send us a PM as well if it refers to Aussie pricing/ freight fees (I assume you don't want to publicly advertise prices just yet)?

Yann- saw this post on the Aerodrums forum http://aerodrums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?cache=1&f=2&t=53 and was wondering if it's possible to apply the same idea using my current setup (Pearl Demon Drive pedals and Triggera bass drum triggers http://triggera.com/kick-pedal-trigger).
My thought was to place the foot sensors on my feet as per usual but using the pedal and triggeras to have something to strike as I have major doubts that I could pull off heel-toe technique using my feet on the floor alone.
Would this work (and are the pedals necessary at all for fast double bass using Aerodrums)? Any advice/ opinions on this would be much appreciated!

Yann- saw this post on the Aerodrums forum http://aerodrums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?cache=1&f=2&t=53 and was wondering if it's possible to apply the same idea using my current setup (Pearl Demon Drive pedals and Triggera bass drum triggers http://triggera.com/kick-pedal-trigger).
My thought was to place the foot sensors on my feet as per usual but using the pedal and triggeras to have something to strike as I have major doubts that I could pull off heel-toe technique using my feet on the floor alone.
Would this work (and are the pedals necessary at all for fast double bass using Aerodrums)? Any advice/ opinions on this would be much appreciated!

Hey, that's my post. Cool to see it inspires others :)

The problem that I see with using a "real" kick pedal is that the drive link will obscure the view of the sensor. In addition, you'll also need something in front of the pedal for the beater to strike (a bass drum practise pad or something like that), which will probably further obscure the path from the camera to the sensors.

You might be able to angle it so that it works though; you'll just have to experiment and see for yourself. You might also have better luck using the alternative sensors that attach to your shins in this case. I never got those to work properly, but I didn't spend a lot of time on them.

I'm glad you saw Naigewron's post about modding pedals. We are working on a video about pedals that explains how they work by default, and how you can use physical pedals.

There's roughly two types of pedals you can use: actual drumming pedals with a beater or practice/edrums pedals that use a spring. For this discussion I consider a real kick pedal equipped with a triggera and with the beater removed to be of the second type.

Practice pedals like Naigewron's DWs or the Hansenfutz are straightforward to mod, though I'm not sure they'd work perfectly for heel-toe, as the complex beater swing and recoil isn't there. (for readers who don't use heel-toe, I should add that you may not find it necessary to attach the foot markers to the pedals: you will get good results leaving the markers on your feet).

For real kick pedals, you have to work around the occlusion problem that Naigewron mentioned. In the video, we'll show how you can use a simple G clamp and thin board to make the foot marker protrude diagonally to preserve line of sight with the camera in spite of the chain, beater and pad. The video should be out next week. I will post a link here.

I forgot to say: shin markers won't work on their own for heel-toe, the motion is too complex to be captured purely from shin motion. We have an experimental feature to track a foot marker and a shin marker on the same leg, but we are getting pessimistic about it.

Hey, that's my post. Cool to see it inspires others :)

The problem that I see with using a "real" kick pedal is that the drive link will obscure the view of the sensor. In addition, you'll also need something in front of the pedal for the beater to strike (a bass drum practise pad or something like that), which will probably further obscure the path from the camera to the sensors.

You might be able to angle it so that it works though; you'll just have to experiment and see for yourself. You might also have better luck using the alternative sensors that attach to your shins in this case. I never got those to work properly, but I didn't spend a lot of time on them.
Indeed it did inspire me as this was my main stumbling block if/when it comes to making a purchase (so thanks for posting)!
Many of the videos show people happliy playing away with a "single pedal" but I wondered about the feasibility of doing heel toe double bass with such a set up.

I'm glad you saw Naigewron's post about modding pedals. We are working on a video about pedals that explains how they work by default, and how you can use physical pedals.

There's roughly two types of pedals you can use: actual drumming pedals with a beater or practice/edrums pedals that use a spring. For this discussion I consider a real kick pedal equipped with a triggera and with the beater removed to be of the second type.

Practice pedals like Naigewron's DWs or the Hansenfutz are straightforward to mod, though I'm not sure they'd work perfectly for heel-toe, as the complex beater swing and recoil isn't there. (for readers who don't use heel-toe, I should add that you may not find it necessary to attach the foot markers to the pedals: you will get good results leaving the markers on your feet).

For real kick pedals, you have to work around the occlusion problem that Naigewron mentioned. In the video, we'll show how you can use a simple G clamp and thin board to make the foot marker protrude diagonally to preserve line of sight with the camera in spite of the chain, beater and pad. The video should be out next week. I will post a link here.

I forgot to say: shin markers won't work on their own for heel-toe, the motion is too complex to be captured purely from shin motion. We have an experimental feature to track a foot marker and a shin marker on the same leg, but we are getting pessimistic about it.

Thanks for the explanation but I'm still a bit confused- are you saying there's no way to currently emulate heel toe using Aerodrums?
There's no kick pad or beater to obscure the line of sight of the camera with my setup so that's no problem, but I would need to place the sensors on the pedals themselves and even then the camera can't pick up the complex motion?

There's no kick pad or beater to obscure the line of sight of the camera with my setup so that's no problem, but I would need to place the sensors on the pedals themselves and even then the camera can't pick up the complex motion?

Sorry I was referring to the motion of the foot and ankle when playing heel-toe. The motion of the pedal itself is simple and can be tracked by attaching a marker to it. The shin marker Naigewron and I were talking about is a reflective piece you wrap around your shin. Doing that is not enough to capture heel-toe.

It's great to hear you have a beaterless/padless setup that lets you play heel-toe fine, could you tell me what pedal model you use?

Sorry I was referring to the motion of the foot and ankle when playing heel-toe. The motion of the pedal itself is simple and can be tracked by attaching a marker to it. The shin marker Naigewron and I were talking about is a reflective piece you wrap around your shin. Doing that is not enough to capture heel-toe.

It's great to hear you have a beaterless/padless setup that lets you play heel-toe fine, could you tell me what pedal model you use?

I use a Pearl Demon Drive (that's a direct drive if that matters).
The Triggera pad is Version 2 (not 3 as pictured in the link I sent)- not that that should matter either.
I would be very interested in those boxes stuck in France if you can convince me the heel toe problem could be overcome. ; )
Also, can the camera pick relatively fast movements without issues (ie metal playing)?
The videos seem to feature people playing at mid-tempo but just wondering how well fast stick motion would fare with this system?

It can definitely pick up very fast movement. Here's a link to a video of someone drumming faster, Brad had only tried it the day before, and we hadn't adapted the setup to his pedal style at all (this is why he is having to bring his feet close together):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IleSbkcmEt0

(@1:04)

Last edited:
Back