Musically, what are you involved with at the present?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
This helps me get a better handle on who I am interacting with here. I have a few questions also feel free to add anything else, like links to your band, whatever.

1. How many bands are you in?

2. What kind of music does each band play? Instrumentation?

3. How often do you gig?

4. How many different rooms do you regularly gig?

Me:

1. 1 band, called The Don Evans band, plus I sub once in a while for others if I'm available

2. We are a blues band at heart, but in reality we play what we have to, which doesn't include nearly enough blues for me. So we must cover many styles because we are a cover band....So I play some 50 - present day rock, new and old country, reggae, blues, top 40 pop from different eras, ballads, a little tiny bit of light jazz, dinner music, a little Motown... All over the place all in one night basically. We don't dwell on any one style. Except when we get the occasional gig where we do play predominantly blues, yeah.

Instrumentation: Bass, guitar, drums and if the money permits, a saxophone. One main singer with the bass player doing a little harmony.

My guitar player uses a vocal harmonizer. At first I was like...I don't know...but it really fills the sound out and the harmonies are spot on. The guitar runs through it so it knows to use a major or minor harmony structure. Pretty cool.

3. Sub gigs included, this year I expect about 75. Down from 113 last year when I was in 2 bands.

4. My band works as a duo and a trio (both sans drums) more than they do with me. With me I only regularly play 4 different rooms, not including one off parties and such.

I appreciate your answers. Helps me to understand you guys better.

Nice try.

5 bands currently. World music, African, pop/rock cover band, 20s-40s jazz, and classical. All kinds of instrumentation from strings and horns to guitars and keyboards. There is a sixth project on the way as well, which will be the only band I currently play drum set in.

Right now, I'm gearing up for a musical and putting out the feelers for students to fill out my teaching schedule for the fall.

I gig anywhere from 20 gigs a month to just a couple. We play in all sorts of rooms, with only one of the bands playing a "regular" gig in one venue. LOTS of outdoor concerts this year...it was a good year for that!

Great. The one guy I don't really want to hear from. Thanks for Saturning the thread on post 2 Phil.

:p

On another note holy cow you've got your fingys in a lot of different pies.

Any particular one more satisfying than the others?

I am currently in one band, Knocking at the Gates. I have been in up to 3 bands at the same time in the past. I recently lost two due to multiple members moving for work reasons.

We play melodic death metal mainly, but the band also has an acoustic/rock project on the side. We sound similar to Parkway Drive and August Burns Red with our own twists added of course. It's fairly fast paced music hovering around 175-240 BPM, which is a lot of fun but also tiring.

The acoustic stuff is mainly folk, and it's the flip side to the metal being quite soft and clean. I play guitar, drums and sing in the acoustic project depending on the song .

At the moment we have just one guitarist/vocal backup, myself on drums and a singer. Again we lost our band members due them moving away for work, however we do have quite a list of songs that are fully written and ready to go. Our full line up would be two lead guitarists, one bassist, one drummer and one vocalist.

3. How often do you gig?

We don't gig due to lack of members.

NA

If you were to ask me about my past bands I'd have about a dozen to talk about.

1. How many bands are you in? Zero - but I'm working hard to start my own band. So far everything is at the Pre-First Contact stage.

2. What kind of music does each band play? Instrumentation? Future band will be Classic Rock / Blues (I hope).

3. How often do you gig? Zero / week - Hey I need to get my band together first.

4. How many different rooms do you regularly gig? Again, zero. Refer to question 3 for further clarification.

1. How many bands are you in? - I am in 4 bands right now, just added one.

2. What kind of music does each band play? Instrumentation? - Main band, Jellied Brainz! is a Jazz/Cabaret Punk outfit with horns/piano/drums, it is a 3 piece.

I also play in a church band with piano/guitar/bass/drums. Modern worship music but I try to work in old timey stuff when I can.

In a surf/60's 3 piece that hasn't practiced in weeks and just joined a old school country/Rockabilly trio.

3. How often do you gig? - Every week for church. With the main band we used to do about 2-3 gigs a month but are taking a little break to record. The new bands do not gig yet.

4. How many different rooms do you regularly gig? - Played the same 4-5 places around town in the main band. Excited to get the new ones up and running to start playing out more again.

1 - The Great Hiatum

We don't like to identify with genres because our songs are very diverse. We've got rockabilly, slow rock, funk rock, blues, dance, folk, americana.

Instrumentation is Synth/Vox, Guitar/Vox, Bass, and Drums/Percussion/Triggers (me)

3. How often do you gig?
We try to play at least one a week, sometimes twice a week. Right now its slow for gigs which is fine, as we're currently prepping for two upcoming bigger gigs.

Regularly, like 5 places downtown we swap between. We do try to travel outside the city when we can book the gig.

4 full-time, 1 possibly joining, 4+ as a regular sub. And then there's the Al gig.

Zero G Band - classic & oldies covers
Rip Masters - Rockabilly/country, covers & originals
Idles Hands - blues (rock & traditional)
Brian Sisson - eclectic covers (jazz/surf/rock)
Broken Arrow - classic & oldies rock
Silver Beat - oldies covers
JD Crawford - country, covers & originals
Karling Abbeygate - Americana, covers & originals
Brown City Bombers - Americana, covers & originals
The Ravelers - classic & oldies covers
Ray Campi - Rockabilly/country, covers & originals

Almost all are guitar, bass, drums, some have a 2nd guitar and/or keys

3. How often do you gig?

2+ times a week

About a dozen.

1. How many bands are you in? None

2. What kind of music does each band play? Instrumentation? No band, no style(s) and no music

3. How often do you gig? I prefer Christmas, it's more often

4. How many different rooms do you regularly gig? At present, none as I cannot have a kit in the house because of the neighbours and I don't gig at present

I've been there before... it happens when you move countries and land yourself in a totally unknown area, I'll eventually find a band or/and a rehearsal place, but I'm far to busy right now for drums and music, maybe in a few months.

I have 3 things going on.

#1 is band mates from WAY back A couple of guys I've known since high school. We put in a LOT of rehearsal hours, a couple nights a week at my house. We play 60's thru 80"s classic rock and some blues. 3 piece with some backing tracks on the SPD

#2 is a working band that plays more dance and some contemporary stuff, mixed with some standards. New R&B like Usher, Black Eyed Peas, old R&B like Stevie Wonder. And of course, Mustang Sally :) We only have a handful of gigs behind us and are looking to play a couple times a month. These guys do NOT like to rehearse. We had a gig a week ago and I haven't seen them since. We have something on Sept 19 so we will probably get together on the 18th :( Three piece with too many backing tracks on the SPD.

#3 is new. It's an 80's retro band and includes at least a full set of hair band music. Not really my thang but, neither was Pitbull until I started playing it with band #2 :) This guitar player and girl singer have really strong vocals. That is what attracted my interest. Three piece plus the female singer.

Last edited:
That is a sad tale, Henri :(

Been playing with the Blue Mabels for about 5 years- lounge, pop, popular jazz, soul, blues, 60s and 70s rock. Vocals, guitar, keys, bass and drums.

We don't play out much, a few gigs per year at a club and the other is an annual fundraiser.

Also do home recording with a guitarist friend where we just sit down and play any instruments that are in the room and see what happens. We mostly play our own instruments but sometimes swap, or we play keys, various hand drums and shakers, bells, vocal sounds, sound FX, pan pipes, wood flute, didgeridoo. Pretty well a free-for-all with no rules.

I'm in two bands & sub for one

1. Bob's Garage (classic rock/originals) - we have 5-6 guitar players (one just quit last night), 2 female singers, 1 bassist, 1 harp player & me on drums, 2. No name band (originals/jam band), we used to call ourselves Strain OC, but there have been many member changes in the last two years I've been with them. Right now we have 2 guitarists, a bassist, an organ player & me on drums (sometimes we have 2 drummers, but it's just me right now). 3. I sub in a band called The Bog Paddies (folk rock & western)

3. How often do you gig?

The no name band doesn't gig anymore. Bob's Garage does one or two per month. Depends. We have nothing lined up at the moment, just a New Year's gig.

Regularly, just one, but we've played a few one-timers.

Last edited:
1. Currently none. I have a returning summer gig (apparently) for the local Performing Arts Center and its musicals, and I sub in town when I have the energy. I also play for my church 3 to 4 times a month.

2. The musicals -- well, you know what musicals sound like -- everything plus the kitchen sink. This last one had rock, rap, country hoedowns, opera, and orchestral incidental music in odd times. My church gig is normally doing contemporary worship music, lately with a bit of an edge creeping in. I have subbed everything from a pretty high-volume blues gig to coffeeshop hand percussion this last year.

3. I play at the church (as stated) 3 to 4 Sundays a month, it does keep me sharp and limbered up. But my day job and the first-call on the summer musicals has me blocked from joining any band on a longterm basis (as most bands in the region gig extensively in the summer when I'm not able to gig due to the musical).

4. There's about seven venues in the region I've played more than twice. I continue to be surprised at where I get asked to play.

Check back in five to eight years, should I retire again, and the answer might be different...

One for now. Infinite Flux.

We play both kinds, Stoner and Doom. But I like to just think of it as Rock and Roll. Traditionally, we are bass, drums, and guitar. But it looks like we will be adding another guitarist. Both bassist and guitarist sing. Me, not so much... But, who knows. The way I see it, our best is yet to come. I joined the bassist and guitarist a little over a year ago. We had been slow to add new songs because we started doing gigs fairly early on, but we are now starting to catch up with where I think we should be as far as the writing aspect goes.

We are currently making music that I dig quite a bit. I want to get it dialed-in before we bother putting it down in a studio. It's getting there. This is a pretty good place for what we do. There are plenty of like-minded bands that play here. A fairly cool scene.

3. How often do you gig?

It depends. Seems like it ranges from once a month, to three or four gigs a month, everyone schedule permitting. We do it because it is something that we love. And that's good because I don't think we will be able to quit our day jobs anytime soon. LOL.

We seem to spend an equal amount of time between Seattle and Tacoma for the most part, as that's where we live. I would say we play around six or so different venues, some more than others.

1. One band, looking for another.
2. classic rock, 70's 80's
3. 4 -6 times per year
4. no regular rooms some outdoor ones

3. How often do you gig?

1. One at the moment, WaitForIt UK (not the one in the US)... Aiming to join / start another one in about a year's time.

2. Indie Rock, all originals - trying to introduce some fusion, swing, world rhythms. Ultimately, my aim is to play more fusion and jazz when my skills get better. I'm weirdly more into jazz than rock, but current skills are not up to it yet..,
Vocals, guitar, bass, drums.

3. Once or twice a year at the moment - guitarist has been scarcely available due to family stuff. He is also a founding member of the band so we are a bit stuck... But we get together weekly, sometime twice a week for jamming and rehearsal, so play a fair amount and we do some home recording which are also good fun.

4. 1-2

1/ One band. Currently considering an additional project.
2/ 70's/80's rock covers, sprinkling of rocked up pop. Drums, guitar, bass, keys, vocals.
3/ Varies, sometimes 3-4/month, sometimes 1/month.
4/ Regularly, 7 or 8, all within about 1.5 hours drive. Occasionally further. Add festivals & rallies to the list.

like links to your band
On the off chance you haven't seen a clip of my cover band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdNH7PDwaT8

Last edited by a moderator:

In three. A full time member for my main band, Cook and The Case. Another of my main bands is taking a hiatus currently, waiting on a start up date again.
Sub with another band I was a founding member of for ten years but I haven't played with them for a couple months as they haven't booked any shows/recording sessions.

Cook and the Case are folk/blues
The second is rock/blues
The third is Rock

All original material

Cook and The Case is keys, bass, drums, melodica, keys, a guitar violin thingy and generally anything that suits the song in question.

The others are guitars, bass and drums.

3. How often do you gig?

Generally about 4 times a month with Cook and The Case, but it can depend on which band is active that given month.

No real set venues, generally tend to play the London/Manchester circuit so generally any venue in those two cities. Some we play regularly but that can be months apart.

1. How many bands are you in?I am in two bands. One is an active gigging band and one is a project that is just getting off the ground. I also play the guitar with some frineds on the occasional off weekend. The two bands are all original.

2. What kind of music does each band play? Stikpin is a hard rock four peice with one guitar and a singer that doesnt play. Subatai is a doom/stoner rock four peice with two guitarists and the bassist sings.

3. How often do you gig? Only Stikpin is an actively gigging band. We play at least two shows a month locally and have done several small tours around the east coast where we play every night for two weeks.

4. How many different rooms do you regularly gig? We wont play the same club more than twice a year. We play in clubs from NYC up to Boston so we basically play a new place every weekend. There are a couple of local places that get major headliners that will call us for opening spots. We play those a little more often, but even then no more than 3 or 4 times a year.

I'm paying attention, really I am. This is great, keep them coming.

Back