Problem with my 13in snare. HELP!

STL drummer

I recently bought a Black Panther 13x6 maple snare. I bought it used but in new condition. I believe i'm having a strainer problem. The drum sounds great when hit with a rimshot but when I play a "ghost note" or do a roll with it, it sounds like the strainer is barely moving. I'm using a Remo Emperor X top head. I believe it's the original strainer and i've tried multiple tensions with it. I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

1. What kind of reso (snare side ) head are you using and what tension?

2. How tightly do you have your snare tensioned at? You want it sensitive enough to hear with your fingers

3. How are your snares hooked up? Perhaps a plastic strap? Maybe try string instead.

4. When you take the tension off of the snares how do the wires look?

I play a 13" snare also and its very sensitive compared to my other snares. My first thought - perhaps its a problem with your snare tension and your reso head.

I got a new 13 " snare and it had the same problem it did a world of good replacing the stock wires with some Puresound Blasters, But as motioned it could be a worn out reso over-tightened, mis tuned. Other than that its just not the most sensitive snare out there, but the new wires and loosening the reso helped.

1. What kind of reso (snare side ) head are you using and what tension?

2. How tightly do you have your snare tensioned at? You want it sensitive enough to hear with your fingers

3. How are your snares hooked up? Perhaps a plastic strap? Maybe try string instead.

4. When you take the tension off of the snares how do the wires look?

I play a 13" snare also and its very sensitive compared to my other snares. My first thought - perhaps its a problem with your snare tension and your reso head.

All good advice here... Sometimes its worth just taking new snares through this process to make sure you're getting the full voice out of em' anyway.

Garvin,

Yes I agree 100% on replacing the snares. Even with my fairly new Benny Greb I might replace the snares. The logic of having great instruments (at times very expensive) and cheaping out on heads and so forth to keep them sounding their best does not sit well with me.

If you are looking to go the slightly more expensive route Evans sells a snare drum tune up kit that includes snare wires. I would imagine you can get similar for the brand of your preference.

Another suggestion that seems to make sense is the use of an orchestral snare reso head. These have a coating that allows the snares to "bite" more.

http://www.daddario.com/EvProductDe...=544&sid=c83c090a-f0c6-4fe0-a6a7-356387dde1ae

One thing that some forget to consider on the reso head is thickness. I don't know what you have, but 3 mil is standard, and many drums will benefit with sensitivity by moving to a 2 mil head. Puresound snares are also a good upward move. the problem with many reso heads is that they are overtightend. You do not need to tune quite as tight with a 2 mil head to get a good sound, about a third or fourth higher in pitch than the batter in most cases.

By not having to overtighten, the head is able to vibrate more freely at pitch, which in turn vibrates the snares. Choking occurs when the head is so tight that it cannot vibrate anymore, which prevents the snares form moving as they should. I moved to 2 mil snare side heads on my Acrolite and it became a whole new drum!

I owned that same snare for a couple years. I remember it being very sensitive.
I think the problem is the batter head. Get a coated ambassador on there stat!

Back