Choosing a brass snare

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Hey groovers,

You might remember my last snare thread.. Well someone showed me a thing or two and now I'm interested in a brass snare, and I've been convinced that I don't need to go too deep. I might consider other metals yet but I want some recommendations on brass or any wisdom you can share. So far I've played a pearl Jimmy degrasso and mapex black panther and could hardly tell the difference despite the price differences but I liked them both. At another store I thought I'd like the deeper John tempesta more than the starphonic but I discovered that the starphonic could sound as deep but maintained it's sensitivity, hence my newfound appreciation for shallower drums.

I think I liked the starphonic the most so far. The local place is bringing in a Ludwig (supra) soon so I'll be all over that one. I notice overall they're fairly close sounding so I guess aesthetics will come into play a little too. I like tube lugs and those trick snare throwoffs but I'm open, not really sure what other things I should look at but please pitch me some ideas, preferably top shelf stuff as I'm happy to shell out $$$ for quality.

Have you look at those Ahead black on brass snares? Those are nice. Tube lugs, Trick or Dunnett throw-offs, 6x14. You can find them new on eBay for around $320-ish.

There's also the Tama Stewart Copeland, and of course, the Black Beauty. The Black Beauty you could get with tube lugs too.

Ludwig Black Beauty 5 x 14 case closed.

Attachments

• IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:
Now wait a minute. I really like my 14 x 6.5 hammered Black Beauty. :)

Uniin, from what I've read the thicker shells cut more and are higher pitched so that makes me lean towards the tama, I like depth, so thinner shells might be the go for me. That said, I really like the sound Travis Orbin gets from his pearl. I've also heard word that sound engineers love the tama too...

We also have the gretsch to consider.

Bo, I've seen those ahead ones before, you're right they pretty much tick all the boxes, wish I could try one out.

Rick + sticks, I might be going that route. I will be buying from ebay and so far I see that there's alot of different variants. I like the look of the tube lugs over the imperial and I also like that hammered look. Is the hammered shell thicker or same thickness?

And why would you go 5" over 6.5"? Just curious...

The hammering just mixes up the sound a little bit, drying it out a tad. I have the tube lugs on mine. Looks great. Less shell contact with the tubes as well.

I've got a Premier Artist Brass 14"x6.5" which I bought for £30 two years ago from someone who didn't realise what they were selling and it's been my work-horse snare evere since. Haven't found a tuning it doesn't like yet, it's sweet spot, as far as I've encountered so far is the batter at C and reso at an A or a G. Conicidentally I found from tapping the shell it's fundmental pitch is a C an octave below the C I tune by batter too, so that's most likley the reason why that particular tuning works so well for it.

The one flaw perhaps is that with a shell that deep a bit of sensitity and articulation from the snares is lost, but on the flip side of that for recording; you can get a good seperation between the batter and reso mics. If I'm looking for really good snare aritculation I go to my Premier Steel-shell 14"x4.5" from the late 70's (not sure on the exact model).

Hope your search goes well!

Kev

Edit; just for info's sake, the heads I using on it are a Remo Fiberskyn Ambassador for the batter and the Ambassdor snare-side for the reso.

owned the yammie 14x6.5" and loved it, outstanding snare, couldnt reccomend it enough, but it wasnt cheap. the pearl reference is half the money and to my untrained ear sounds every bit as good, good luck

Have you look at those Ahead black on brass snares? Those are nice. Tube lugs, Trick or Dunnett throw-offs, 6x14. You can find them new on eBay for around $320-ish.

There's also the Tama Stewart Copeland, and of course, the Black Beauty. The Black Beauty you could get with tube lugs too.

I agree with Bo: the Tama Stewart Copeland is a great brass snare. I got one of those when they first came out in the early 2000s, and it is fantastic sounding. And Tama has upgraded the throw on the snare, which has improved the drum.

What say folks about the Yamaha nouveau brass? I've heard players here rave about the brass and copper models, but nouveau lugs on a snare just doesn't seem like a good idea. I think Yamaha is supposed to be going back to traditional lugs (like they still have on the aluminum models)--and I wish they'd hurry up and do so! Then again, if Dave Weckl is using nouveau lugs on his snares, they can't be that bad, I would hope...

Generally speaking, the shallower depth (here 5") increases the snare's sensitivity. The greater the depth, the more body you can get. But, as with many things drums, many find such technical explanations inadequate in the presence of subjective hearing. I have a Pork Pie Big Brass 6.5x14 with tube lugs that can sound plenty sensitive when tuned properly.

By the way, do check out the Pork Pie brass snare--very good snare for the money (usually under $300, I think).

Now wait a minute. I really like my 14 x 6.5 hammered Black Beauty. :)

WHAT???????!!

Haha!! glad you dig your drum!

Ludwig BB, or Black Magic, Mapex, DW, Tama, Pork Pie B.O.B., Ahead, World Max... all pretty great choices. Unless you have a brand preference, get the one that fits your budget best, or hits you right away.

The older Pearl Steve Frerrone snare is a nice one also.
There's really no wrong choice, Brass is a great shell.

Uniin, from what I've read the thicker shells cut more and are higher pitched so that makes me lean towards the tama, I like depth, so thinner shells might be the go for me. That said, I really like the sound Travis Orbin gets from his pearl. I've also heard word that sound engineers love the tama too...

We also have the gretsch to consider.

Bo, I've seen those ahead ones before, you're right they pretty much tick all the boxes, wish I could try one out.

Rick + sticks, I might be going that route. I will be buying from ebay and so far I see that there's alot of different variants. I like the look of the tube lugs over the imperial and I also like that hammered look. Is the hammered shell thicker or same thickness?

I find my 5 x 14 snare to be more versatile and articulate than a 6 x 14". Now if I was strictly playing Rock, I may go with a 6.5 x 14, but since I play a lot of different genres I like the 5 x 14.

Hey groovers,

You might remember my last snare thread.. Well someone showed me a thing or two and now I'm interested in a brass snare, and I've been convinced that I don't need to go too deep. I might consider other metals yet but I want some recommendations on brass or any wisdom you can share. So far I've played a pearl Jimmy degrasso and mapex black panther and could hardly tell the difference despite the price differences but I liked them both.

I have the Jimmy DeGrasso. It is a really nice drum.

DSCF1148.JPG

I just tried a black beauty 14x6.5, thought it was great. I finally feel like I know what I want.. I played it next to the mapex black panther one and it sounded much nicer to my ears so that rules out hammered brass. I wish I could get the tama next to it to compare, I remember it sounding very similar. Might have to just grow a pair and take a punt :)

One last thing, if anyone knows if there is a difference between the sound of the black beauty (nickel plate?) and the chrome? I see the 'millennium edition' has tube lugs and is a bit prettier but I could also wait until a black beauty with tube lugs pops up brand new, not sure if they're still made.

I just tried a black beauty 14x6.5, thought it was great. I finally feel like I know what I want..

Now we're talkin'!! ;-)

One last thing, if anyone knows if there is a difference between the sound of the black beauty (nickel plate?) and the chrome? I see the 'millennium edition' has tube lugs and is a bit prettier but I could also wait until a black beauty with tube lugs pops up brand new, not sure if they're still made

Check with Karl. He's got both. There's a thread here somewhere, I'll try and find it.

Here (post #20): http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36117&highlight=black+beauty+vs+COB

Still made and still available. You'll get one with tubes if you look around.

Good choice!

In case you didn't read my post in your original thread,

I recently got an early-80s 6.5"x14" brass Premier and it's so versatile. It's got a nice thumpy sound but can also tune up to give a sharp, crisp ring.

A few other brass snare drums I like include:

-Gretsch Hammered Brass Series
-Ludwig 400's & 402's
-Joyful Noise Tailpipe Brass

Back