How to Write good metal/deathcore drum parts and breakdowns.

Exactly, none of the bands I listen to are well known what so ever. They seem like it because I hang out with kids that listen to those bands, but you ask a random stranger who August Burns Red is, I can almost garuntee they haven't heard of them. It's not a fad.

Speaking of August Burns Red, they are a great example of poly-rythm riffs.

When I say Municipal Waste or Gama Bomb, almost everyone will say "Who?".
Even old bands like Rigor Mortis, been around forever and no one has ever heard of them.

Yo man, you were asking for an example of a band that uses polyrythms etc. in breakdowns, you shuold check out some of these bands... they might not be your style of music, but the drummers play some rad breakdowns/grooves that will make you think outside the box.

first and foremost, check out Botch. That is a perfect example of polyrythms in heavy music. Also bands like Deadguy, Coalesce, Burnt by the Sun all have awesome drummers using creative stuff in their songs. A lot of metalcore bands like that have stuff everyone could learn from. Hope this helps

For deathcore drumming i can say probably 3-4 words....

DOUBLE BASS CONSTANTLY THROUGHOUT

As long as you do this and keep it going for the entire song, you'll be fine, but yea try and learn blast beats :p or do some really fast slayer drumming....(slayer drumming is the same in 95% of their songs)

Work with your bassist. Many of the songs i have heard ahve the double kick in time with the bass parts (Into the Battle by Ensiferum is a good example, just skip along to the 3 minute mark and listen from there).

Hey everyone my band is starting to take the path of heavy death music and I was curious to figure out how some of you metalheads write your breakdowns and how you structure your songs also when you track record how can you hear the track when you are recording with loud drums even though I have sound cancelling headphones I still have a hard time hearing the mix.

Here is an example of what we are starting to sound like, but not exactly.
This is my friends local band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOxHqDVCN4o&feature=PlayList&p=942EAC8C270D9D42&index=0&playnext=1

if your bands going that way in style, it would probably help a great deal to spend time just listening to that style of music(if you're not already). and because you're trying to work on breakdowns you could always fast forward/rewind to those kind of sections and try to work out by ear what they're doing.

even if you're not dead on with the exacts, you will pick up a vibe for their choices in those moments and with a lot of listening your own ideas will form under those guide lines.

personally i'm not familar with that style of music, but the post below by breadmonkey i think sounded good. or even trying to breakdown what you're hearing in a similar list so you develope your ideas within that kind of structure.

also live videos with shots of the drummer, or people on youtube covering tunes can perhaps demystify some of the parts you can't pick up by ear.

Im a pretty big metal head, and my breakdowns usually come from the music I listen to. It depends on the kind of breakdowns your interested in. If you want fast/complex thats one thing, but when alot of people say breakdown, they think of slowing it down in a sense and proving a kind of "boom" head banging thing. Lol I don't know how to explain, but here check out some of these bands/songs.

Veil of Maya - Wounds/We Bow in Its Aura/It's not Safe to Swim Today
Born of Osiris - New Reign Album (Abstract Art)
Emmure - Not really into this band too much, but drummer does some cool stuff.
Whitechapel - Love them
Suicide Silence - Way too many blasts, but still cool =]
Winds of Plague does some tight stuff...
August Burns Red drummer does some intense stuff...

Hope this helps.

Doesn't Meshuggah use polyrhythmic breakdowns sometimes?

I think you mean, "Doesn't Meshuggah use 4/4 breakdowns sometimes?" lol. Meshuggah are nearly always in Polyrhythms. In I they have a big 4/4 "breakdown", but other than that there's a handful of songs that are in straight 4/4. Also check out Tesseract, cause they're pretty good and they're similar.

I hate people talking about breakdowns, because it's become such a staple part of Metalcore and stuff like that. It's like bands feel they always need breakdowns, and that annoys me. When used sparingly, they're brilliant but metalcore and all that stuff is ruining it with these rubbishy open note slow things. That's not to say they're all bad, just grossly overpopulated.

And that brings me to my peice of advice: Don't use them all over the place! And if you feel it's absolutely necessary, at least try and work at it until you get a really cool pattern going.

PEACE.

T

Hey everyone my band is starting to take the path of heavy death music and I was curious to figure out how some of you metalheads write your breakdowns and how you structure your songs also when you track record how can you hear the track when you are recording with loud drums even though I have sound cancelling headphones I still have a hard time hearing the mix.

Here is an example of what we are starting to sound like, but not exactly.
This is my friends local band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOxHqDVCN4o&feature=PlayList&p=942EAC8C270D9D42&index=0&playnext=1

You can turn up the volume with the headphones (but i'm sure you have already tried that). You should really record the drums to a click track and then record the rest on top of them.

As for the writing, if you post a demo of the guitar work, I;m sure we can better understand what type of breakdown you are going for. Hell, if you post one someone can help you write one with midi drums.

Dillinger Escape Plan do it as well, they play around with advanced math for rhythm and break down into normality. I appreciate it, I don't enjoy listening to it.

I think you mean, "Doesn't Meshuggah use 4/4 breakdowns sometimes?" lol. Meshuggah are nearly always in Polyrhythms. In I they have a big 4/4 "breakdown", but other than that there's a handful of songs that are in straight 4/4. Also check out Tesseract, cause they're pretty good and they're similar.

I hate people talking about breakdowns, because it's become such a staple part of Metalcore and stuff like that. It's like bands feel they always need breakdowns, and that annoys me. When used sparingly, they're brilliant but metalcore and all that stuff is ruining it with these rubbishy open note slow things. That's not to say they're all bad, just grossly overpopulated.

And that brings me to my peice of advice: Don't use them all over the place! And if you feel it's absolutely necessary, at least try and work at it until you get a really cool pattern going.

PEACE.

T

You could always break the slavish clinging to "breakdowns" and just worry about what works within a given song's framework...

In death core breakdown is the only real variation in the music, I think it adds depth to it. A lot of people listen to death core because it's aggressive, fast and catchy (in a rhythmic sense it is), varying up break downs helps give the music a bit more diversity, if your playing unmelodious music at the same speed all song every song you're making it very repetitive

Oceano are a young band who write some interesting breakdowns (without clean vocals).

You could always break the slavish clinging to "breakdowns" and just worry about what works within a given song's framework...

Sure, but it's gotten to the point that every song is expected to have a breakdown. Great death metal bands over the years USED breakdowns, but they didn't throw them into every song multiple times, y'know? Songs can have three or four parts without the typical mosh pit slam dance section, IMO.

Breakdowns are not the only variation in deathcore, and although I love them(when done right) they are used a crutch a lot of the times.

Animosity are a good deathcore band who can write songs.

I'm not entirely sure, but sure as hell 428 in a 2-minute song isn't shabby.

ABOUT YOUR SIGNATURE.

2) Common Internet Etiquette

Do not post in all capital letters, do not use large fonts and annoying colors, and ...

Back