My gear finally set up for practice

lowdowner

Finally got my Odery Eyedentity .202 set with TRX DRK cymbals set up and ready for practice. I'm a newbie so it's taken a lot of time to get the kit set up so it works for me. Can't stop playing :)

Attachments

• drums.jpg
    drums.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 610
Looks great!

I highly recommend the bookshelves-in-the-drum-room concept. They act as bass traps at the same time as they stop nasty reflections from the wall.

Cymbals look way cool. Sound good?

Very nice, Hard to tell from the photo but it appears that your cymbals could come down a bit.

Thanks (to both!)

The Cotswolds are a drummer's paradise - no neighbours for me, just sheep and they don't complain about the noise.

I wondered about the books - they seem to be good to absorb sound really well.

The cymbals sound fantastic: they are very thin, and have a dark, cutting, shimmer to them. It's hard to describe sound texture though isn't it? :)

Very nice, Hard to tell from the photo but it appears that your cymbals could come down a bit.

Hi there

interesting - I was lucky to have my drum teacher come over and check the setup. As he's a pro (and I'm most certainly not) i'm reluctant to change them too much until I know more about it!

Same here. Our sheep ignore just about everything, except my Welsh terriers ;)

Close to the cotswolds eh?

I was trying to think up some weak excuse so I could ask if I could meet up and say hello so I could hear/watch someone who knows what they are doing but couldn't think of anything clever!

How close to Cheltenham are you?

That is a very nice looking set up. Enjoy playing it!

Thanks - I can feel an obsession growing. It's taken me 45 years to discover drumming so I have a lot of time to make up :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there

interesting - I was lucky to have my drum teacher come over and check the setup. As he's a pro (and I'm most certainly not) i'm reluctant to change them too much until I know more about it!

Its fine if you change it to fit your playing. Now, some setups will make playing harder and will be worse for the drum heads or cymbals, but for the most part, however you feel comfortable should be fine. Don't be afraid to adjust it and try new things.

Its fine if you change it to fit your playing. Now, some setups will make playing harder and will be worse for the drum heads or cymbals, but for the most part, however you feel comfortable should be fine. Don't be afraid to adjust it and try new things.
Exactly, experimenting is the way to go.
Position things so that you don't have to work hard.
Don't let your kit force you to reach for things.

Example; If I owned your kit I would shift the smallest tom to the right and bring it in a few more inches. I would lower the ride as low as I could next to the big rack tom.
I would move the splash cymbal to the middle.
I would tilt the snare down the opposite way than you have it.

You don't have to do what I just suggested.
I am showing you that there are different ways to look at things such as setup and everyone has to find their own.

Don't forget to get a rug for under your kit.

Exactly, experimenting is the way to go.
Position things so that you don't have to work hard.
Don't let your kit force you to reach for things.

Example; If I owned your kit I would shift the smallest tom to the right and bring it in a few more inches. I would lower the ride as low as I could next to the big rack tom.
I would move the splash cymbal to the middle.
I would tilt the snare down the opposite way than you have it.

You don't have to do what I just suggested.
I am showing you that there are different ways to look at things such as setup and everyone has to find their own.

Don't forget to get a rug for under your kit.

Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely play around and try to get a feel for what works. The photo is a bit deceptive though, the cymbals aren't really that high but I'll lower them and see what happens. The splash was a present for christmas so I've not experimented at all with that.

Oh, and why a mat for underneath? Is that for sound, or to protect the floor? Or to stop the drums moving around?

Close to the cotswolds eh?

I was trying to think up some weak excuse so I could ask if I could meet up and say hello so I could hear/watch someone who knows what they are doing but couldn't think of anything clever!

How close to Cheltenham are you?
Close - ish. Cheltenham is about 1 1/2 hours drive from me. I live close to Hay on Wye on the Welsh border. I do go to Cheltenham infrequently. Usually during the day, as I visit a machine shop where we get our hardware manufactured. If you're around when I'm in the area, I'd be happy to pop in & help in any way I can. Maybe help you with tuning/positioning, or whatever you need.

Andy.

Close - ish. Cheltenham is about 1 1/2 hours drive from me. I live close to Hay on Wye on the Welsh border. I do go to Cheltenham infrequently. Usually during the day, as I visit a machine shop where we get our hardware manufactured. If you're around when I'm in the area, I'd be happy to pop in & help in any way I can. Maybe help you with tuning/positioning, or whatever you need.

Andy.

That's very kind - if I'm over your way any time (which is closer to where my parents live) i'd like to see some of your drums. I watched a video of someone at the drum show playing one of your sets, and it was fantastic :)

Thanks - I can feel an obsession growing. It's taken me 45 years to discover drumming so I have a lot of time to make up :)
Looks like you did it right. That's a kit that'll last you for the rest of your life.​

Back