a good intermediate to high level kit

drumguyfromWI

any opinions?

the drums I have right now are entry-level Ludwigs. I'm looking to replace them when I get the money. I'm looking for a 5 (or maybe 6) piece, intermediate to high level kit that won't eat up all of my hard-earned cash... I haven't decided if I want to get a shell pack or a kit with hardware yet.

any suggestions?

(besides "buy used", I know that's a really good idea, and I'm looking into it, but I'm asking about new kits just in case I can't find something good used around where I live because buying used online is not really an option for me)

there are so many great intermediate kits out there

Mapex
Gretsch
Pacific
Sonar

and the list goes on.

If playing them is not an option then decide if you want Birch Or maple.
How many pieces you want aqnd what finishes you like and start there.

I personally would not buy anything until you play at least something from the same line.

Tama Superstar Custom Hyper Drive. Nice kit man, shell pack is only about 1300. the shells are Birch with a ply of Baswood. Short Tom Depth. They sound pretty awsome for the price man.

i agree 100%. its what i have and i love it. Its beautiful in every way/

Two come to mind.

Mapex Saturn: massmusic.net/Rupps drums have mango burst and twilght stardust (blue to white fade) for the same price as a PDP kit.

Yamaha oak: some people like these better than maple or birch and they are priced in the intermediate zone.

...and what style do you play? If you play rock, PDP 805s all the way!

Anyways, no matter what drumset you get, at Guitar Center (and most other online music stores), they will price match any other music store (besides ebay) online. However, if you tell them you're on a budget, they will most likely drastically reduce the price if you threaten to take your business elsewhere--because they get paid on commission.

any opinions?
(besides "buy used", I know that's a really good idea, and I'm looking into it, but I'm asking about new kits just in case I can't find something good used around where I live because buying used online is not really an option for me)

You know what they say about opinions - they are like A-holes, everyone's got one.
I'll give you the advice my instructor gave me - get on it and play - fall in love with the one that's right for you. I may like redheads, but that doesnt mean they are the best in the sack. You have to find out what you like best.

If youre buying new - good luck on that mid-level without spending too much money thought. You won't get to play it before hand, unless you can find a demo in one of your local (or not so local stores) and even when you do, it will sound differently when you bring it home.

As for good mid-level kits, I like the Mapex Pro-M (even though I found a great deal on the Saturn series). Get on craigs list (or craigshelper) and search a 50 or so mile radius around your home. This is the best advice because if you find something in your price range, chances are you can go and try them out first.

but I'm sure more will respond with more "opinions".

Tama Superstar Custom Hyper Drive. Nice kit man, shell pack is only about 1300. the shells are Birch with a ply of Baswood. Short Tom Depth. They sound pretty awsome for the price man.

Another vote for the Superstars. I have a kit and love them. Not too pricey, either.

Massmusic.net has some amazing deals on Mapex Pro-M's right now. $699 for a 6 piece kit is a steal of a deal

any opinions?

the drums I have right now are entry-level Ludwigs. I'm looking to replace them when I get the money. I'm looking for a 5 (or maybe 6) piece, intermediate to high level kit that won't eat up all of my hard-earned cash... I haven't decided if I want to get a shell pack or a kit with hardware yet.

any suggestions?

Im assuming your playing the Accent series, which for the price isn't bad at all. The Classic Maples are a step up and sound great, not sure what your financial situation is but a standard 4pc should run in the $1,200-$1,400 range.
All the best

whoa! I'll try to respond to all your posts...

I think it would help to know what your budget is?

when I get the money, about $1000 (give or take)

in response to rmandelbaum, I would maybe buy new online, but not used. I don't trust Ebay... and in any case, I'd prefer to play them before I buy them.

I play mostly rock music of various subgenres...

and when I do get the new drums, I would probably have them for a long time, so I want something that is going to last and sound good for years.

I really like the Gretsch Catalina Club Mod, but it's only a 4-piece... and while I do occasionally play with only 4 drums, I figure it's easier to take drums off my kit when I don't need them than only have 4 drums and be stuck when I need more.

besides that, some other kits I've been looking at are the higher-end Pearl Vision series, the Tama Superstars, and the Mapex Pro Ms. decisions, decisions... oh well, I have plenty of time to think, I don't have the money together quite yet. well, I do, but I need to buy a car first. then the money left over will go to new drums and cymbals. I'm probably going to get more Sabians (AA or AAX), so I want the quality of my new drums to match the quality of my new cymbals.

hope all that helps, and thanks for all your advice so far guys! I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Well, with a 20-inch bass drum instead of 24, I think it would be a smidge less unwieldy.

I like a 24" for rock but I agree. Especially if mic'd. I'd rather lug around a 20x18. The punch sounds cool, and I love the response of a 20x18".

Yamaha tour customs are nice and so is their hardware.

so I've decided to wait until next spring on buying a car, and get my new drums now.

I have decided on the Gretsch Catalina Club Mod 4-Piece shell pack:

503880.jpg

I was looking for 5 piece kits, but I saw this one for a really great price on musiciansfriend.com and I decided I could use the floor tom from my old kit if I ever needed a 5 piece. (it would be like John Bonham's set up! :) )

thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Back