taye rock pro

I owned a Taye ProX which was a good birch/basswood set. Not beginner by any means and not the top of the line. The Rock Pro is a step below if I am not mistaken. Depends on your budget, what you are looking for. Go bang on it and see.

There's a Taye Rock Pro available for $399. 6 piece: with a 10, 12, 13, 16, 22 and a 14" snare, in graffic blue wrap with chrome hardware. BUT, the bass drum has about a 6 inch rip in the wrap starting at the reso side of the bass drum. And one of the toms has some slight dents and rips in the wrap. I'm wondering if it's worth it. Appearance-wise, that's the only thing wrong.

I don't k know much about Taye's, is the hardware good? And I'm wondering what the shells are made of?

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure they are made of poplar.

A local shop here carries them and they sound nice, have a huge tuning range and the hardware is top notch.

$399 is a good price for that shell pack but the bassdrum would worry me unless I was project drum guy

I've had two Taye - Tour Pro and Studio Pro. Great drums, an under-rated manufacturer, with excellent and innovative hardware, that is easy and logical to setup. What you have is a very good deal, but if you can, step up to Studio Pro. Those are very nice.

Cool! Thanks guys. I'm seriously considering those drums. I'm not too fond of the wrap, so I'll probably end up taking it off and staining the shells, or putting on another wrap closer to what I like.

I picked up a Rock Pro kit a few years ago as a gigging kit that I could leave around town. (Ironically, given the name, I use it as a jazz kit - sizes are 10", 14", and 20" ... I never use the 12".)

I don't know what the shells are made of (and don't particularly care ...lol ... ears only for me!).

The good:
1) 10" tom absolutely sings.
2) 20" bass can do anything - sing for jazz, or tune it lower and it thumps for fusion/rock. Very good.
3) Stands, pedal, HH stand, etc. are more than acceptable.
4) The wrap looks good and has held up perfectly thus far.

The bad:
1) The 14" FT can sound good, but requires continuous attention to be tuned properly. I suspect this particular drum may have issues.
2) Snare is barely acceptable IMHO.
3) Floor tom leg holders strip out. This is the biggest issue I have. Even after I knew of the dubious metal quality and was careful, I stripped out holders. All three have been replaced at some point. I've recently ordered some Gibraltar replacements ... stay tuned...

My verdict: A respectable kit that sounds better than the price often indicates (I got mine for $300!). If you could pick up a good deal on a snare, you will be in business and should have a good sounding kit!

Hope it helps!
radman

Thanks Radman. I had to let this particular kit go for the time being, but am in the market for something like this kit. I'm def interested in Taye now. Thanks again.

Back