New tour, new drums, new head!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Weird Al & band are on the road again, and I've got my new Keystone kit in tow. For those who don't know why they're different & cool, they're an oak/maple hybrid, so they have great punch and they really speak. My kit is one-of-a-kind, in that it's a Guitar Center exclusive - 14x24, 8x12 & 16x16 in Black Abalone - limited to 100 kits, but mine has a 9x13 added. The finish is about as close to the original Oyster Black Pearl as Delmar has come, and there's not a lot of it around, so mine is destined to be a rare kit indeed.

Here are a couple of views:

tourkit2011.jpg

keystones_head.jpg

Being a dark finish, the drums are kind of lost onstage, even when fully lit. This is why I prefer lighter finishes. It's a long story as to why I didn't simply get a light kit. But these drums are quite stunning in person, and sound fabulous. I hit hard, and they respond perfectly.

Ok, you may be wondering what's up with the kick head art. Pretty severe for Weird Al you say? It's actually from the cover of the new album, out on June 21. Look closely at the guy on the left:

alpoclg.jpg

Bermuda

It's going to be dynamic and it'd be good to see a pic of it in action during a show ... or better, seeing it in action live :)

Looks like part of the corner of the goblin's crossbow would have been Photoshopped out for the kick drum head.

As a matter of interest, why did you get a new kit? Are you always tweaking, looking for something a bit better than before?

Kit looks great Jon. I've not seen the Keystones on the floor anywhere in Oz as yet. I've been hangin' to hear them. I have to agree, the wrap looks fabulous.

Got a gigle out of the album cover too.....although, is that the same shirt Al was wearing back in '82? I could swear it is. :)

I did take the tip of the bow out just to be safe.

I don't make a lot of changes to my touring kit, I used the same Impact kit for 12 or 13 years, and replaced them with the same sizes in Ludwig Classic Maples just 4 years ago. But Oak has always held a lure for me, I've always liked Yamaha's oak series. So when Ludwig came out with these last year - although not the same design as Yamaha's - I fell in love with them.

I'm pretty sure that's not the same shirt from 30 years ago!

Bermuda

I'm pretty sure that's not the same shirt from 30 years ago!

I wouldn't be ... or it would look like my shirt (which fell apart entirely soon after that shot) ... Al seems to have an endless supply of those disgraceful shirts :)

Did you have a big decision between the goblin and the metal skeleton guy?

That is without a doubt the ugliest bass head that I have ever seen! :)
Real nice drums though.

Awesome kit! Heard some keystones at guitar center, and they sound fabulous! The low end and volume from the oak, and the warmth and punch of the maple blend perfectly, making a sweet sounding kit!

It may not flash on stage, but they oyster wrap is my favorite ludwig wrap and probably one of my favorites from any company.

Great album cover also, lol.

The figure on the bass drum head looks like something from the TV series "Outer Limits". That statement will surely date me.

I think it's cool though.

Dennis

Kit looks beautiful, but how did you get my wife to capture that image of me waking up? You've even got my pillow, dammit. No wonder I wake up with a sore neck, that's why I look like that. Come to think of it, it's all your fault.

Spooky drum head, but I love the finish! Great kit!

What cymbals are you using on this tour?

-Jonathan

I'm still loving my APX Solids, same as the last few tours! The only different one is the 27" China which is an HH.

Bermuda

i always pictured you with a tash bermuda before seeing a pic of you :p

love wierd al such a genius cant wait to hear more of his parodies

Back