How do you count 7/4?

I learned from an old Rod Morgenstein video to be careful, because the world "seven" is two syllables, and it's easy to accidentally to say "sev-en" as two counts.

He suggested you only say "sev" when counting in seven.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, sev

Sometimes I do that.
Sometimes I just count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

It depends on the tempo, and as you noted, if there is a specific accent pattern, it's easier to follow that.

Some times 1,2 3, 1,2 3,4 but since it's short, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Never had a problem just counting as 'Seven'. I only sub-divide if there are phrasing issues - listen to 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers for a great example of interesting 7/4 phrasing!

I play a couple of pieces in seven at the moment, one is 4 + 3 and the other is at faster tempo I find it easier to count 1&2&3&4 (no "&" after the 4)

I learned from an old Rod Morgenstein video to be careful, because the world "seven" is two syllables, and it's easy to accidentally to say "sev-en" as two counts.

He suggested you only say "sev" when counting in seven.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, sev

Carmine Appice recommended that too in Realistic Rock.

It's the easiest way to count it.

couonting-sev_000.gif

Somebody else said it, but it's the same except seven is "sev".

Just 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,

Add ands if you're playing eighth notes, e, and, a for sixteenths.

Last edited:
I always count it as 1, 2, 3, 1- 1, 2, 3, 1 - 1, where the 1 just after the 3 is implied as half a note.

Here's how it'd line up with the full 7 counts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1....2...3....1-1....2....3....1-

Hopefully that makes sense. If not on a roland drum module set the time sig to 7/4 and the rate to quarter notes.

-Jonathan

Edit, for the rare occasion where I actually go up to 7, I just say it in french (sept)

Back