Broken Down Tama Royal Stars - What to do?

ZipCity

Hey guys, new member here. Not a drummer, just guitar. However, I recently got a pretty broken down set of Tama Royal Stars w/ cymbals (one says zildjian). Here's a link to some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/anjmD

All the heads are pretty much shot - is the rest worth keeping/selling? Or should I just leave them at closest Salvation Army/throw them out?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
The site says that "zipcity117's images are not publicly available."

I'd love to help you out, but….

fI would say that the kit as a whole is salvageable. Take off all the heads - Top & Bottom - and throw them far, far away. Next, take off the lugs and clean them (it's easy, but don't lose any parts!), oil each tension rod with 3-in-1 oil. And while the parts are off each drum just get some simple furniture polish and clean the shells. Note: Do each drum separately.

The hardware doesn't look too bad and I'm sure after cleaning, you'll be better able to tell what's good and what's not.

Same goes with the cymbals. Clean 'em with some soap and water first then dry them off right away. Wipe them down next with Brasso or something of the sort and they just might look pretty.

Good luck.

Damn those are pretty nice Tama's once cleaned up with new heads. Those are definitely not worth throwing away. The hardware is pretty dated but the shells look fine. Where Iive those could go for $200 or so.

Thanks for the input guys. Not familiar with drum gear - do people buy shells only? Or would I have to buy new heads and clean it up to sell them? In a bit of a bind, as I don't think they're worth enough to ship (ebay) so I'd have to sell locally...

How much would the cymbals alone be worth?

If I end up doing nothing, might give them to another musically inclined friend who has the time to fix them up...

...All the heads are pretty much shot - is the rest worth keeping/selling? Or should I just leave them at closest Salvation Army/throw them out? ...

If you're planning on keeping and using them, then it might be worth the time and expense to fix them up.
If you think you'll fix them up to flip them, I'd say it's a big gamble.
You need a full set of heads. If you want to do it right, you'll need to replace the trashed snare wires,
and the missing hoops and tension rods too.

Clean-up is more time and labor intensive than expense.
The hardware looks in good shape, and I'm sure it'd clean up just fine.
I see a Zildjian logo on at least one of the cymbals, but it's hard to tell just what you've got there without seeing them in person. They're probably worth a bit.

In other words, from where I sit, it looks like kind of a mixed bag - your call.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. Not familiar with drum gear - do people buy shells only?

a drummer might, at the right price. IF I needed them, I'd pay $100 for just the shells.
if you sell them shells only, consider that he/she will have to invest about $30 per each tom for new heads, and $80 for the bass drum.

Are you looking to flip this and make money? If so, sell it as pieces - shells - hardware - cymbals -more potential buyers will need say a random hardware stand, cymbal...etc, than an all in one set.

Certainly worth cleaning up.

Royal Stars were a mid level kit before the mid level market really became a thing.
I agree with what everyone else said.

Although the bass drum pedal doesn't look to be a Tama, it looks to be a cheap no-name brand.

If you cleaned them up you would make an extra 100 bucks. You don't need heads, but take the broken heads off when selling. The bass drum logo head is a BIG plus.

Personally...

I'd fix them up. Run of the mill Remo or Evans heads (Musician's Friend and Sweetwater ship for free).

Work up the snare first. Snare wire is 20 bucks. Heads top and bottom can be found for 12 to 15 bucks EACH. Bass heads a bit more.

Do NOT use oil on the tension rods. Use dry paraffin. No mess, no drip. Use a light oil or WD-40 on the cymbal clamps (ratchet looking parts).

The cymbals don't necessarily need to be cleaned, but some people don't dig patina. You can use tomato sauce or lemon juice... but the results can be uneven. I don't mind patina, but I do use a bit of Lemony furniture polish on cymbals to get nylon tipped stick marks off. Since I personally use wood tipped sticks it's a non-issue.

Lemony furniture polish and vinegar window cleaner will shine up the shells and the chrome.

If you sell them... a good snare is always handy to have around. Keep it.

my 2cents. Wish I could find a set... I have nephews and nieces whose parents grew up with me playing. So they're used to it.

The TAMA experts are gonna show up soon enough and give you the real scoop. Hang on

Last edited:
Fix them up and play them! Even if you are a guitarist, its always a good idea to have another instrument around. Theres always that one person that comes to the house, will mess around with it and youll be able to jam with them. Thats why I keep a guitar around.

Wow - thanks for all the replies. Gave me a lot to think about...

I'd love to keep them and fix them up, but my parents nixed the idea :(

Due to space constraints, they want to get rid of them as soon as possible. Guess I'll try to sell them as-is, with some cleaning.

If anyone's in the Ottawa area, let me know - we could work something out - parts or whole...

Cymbals with tilters attached? Yeah, we can tell you're not a drummer.

The finish is kinda cool, cooler than basic black or white anyway, and the TAMA logo bass drum head is together, a big plus actually.

You've come to the right place mate, we declare this kit salvageable, and advise they get the proper care.

Don't waste your time cleaning the cymbals, they'll just look like old, crappy cymbals that have been cleaned, they look more real now with their well earned patina.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    310.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 261
ZipCity, if you're in Ottawa and you want to get rid of them quickly, go and see Dave at Dave's Drum Shop, (390 Gladstone - near the corner of Gladstone & Bank, next door to Spaceman music) - he has lots of clients looking for this sort of thing.

He will help you get them fixed up and you can probably put them on consignment there too.

Good luck!

The bad thing about the Tama bass drum head is it looks like somebody cut a giant hole in it with a chainsaw. Not sure how you could salvage that.

Good find though. I would take them :)

Due to space constraints, they want to get rid of them as soon as possible. Guess I'll try to sell them as-is, with some cleaning.
If you just want 'em out of your life, your best bet is probably e/Bay/Craigslist. $200 obo.​

The bad thing about the Tama bass drum head is it looks like somebody cut a giant hole in it with a chainsaw. Not sure how you could salvage that.

Good find though. I would take them :)

Not the end of the world, the logo is the main thing.

It could be turned into an 80's style front head, would totally be happening for that kit, use what's there. Swhat I would do with it.

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    191 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 188
You've gotten good info. I would either give them to a prospective drummer or flip them for $100. The cymbals have much more going on than patina and the heads (even the buggered up logo base reso head) need replacing. Help yourself to a hundred dollars and let the next appreciative person get a good project.

Those aren't your run of the mill Royalstars.Most royalstars were 9 ply mahogany,with Zola Coated interiors and wrapped,just like Imperialstars.But those are Brazilian grain veneer,similar to cordia wood,and only made for a very short time in the early 80's,so,they're worth a bit more than typical Royalstars of the vintage.Those are great sounding drums.

While the Mercury line of hardware wasn't as good as Titan hardware,it still was pretty respectable stuff.

Steve B

Back