Sonor Arena vs. Mapex Meridian Maple

padraigsmith

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am just getting back into it after a nearly 10 year hiatus and I am finding out that there is a lot more to consider now than their used to be (or maybe back then I was too young to care).

Anyway, I have always played Mapex, and have developed a bit of brand loyalty. However, I recently got hold of a Sonor Arena kit really cheap. I really like the sizes of the drums and the kit sounds great. BUT all of my hardware is Mapex and like I said, I've always been partial to Mapex, so.....

I just discovered that the Meridian Maple comes in a 24" kick configuration, and was wondering if it would be worth my while to get one of those. I guess what I am asking is: which of these two kits would you all say is the better bet? Both are 100% maple. The only difference is the size of the rack tom (arena 13 vs. meridian 12). Any opinions??? I appreciate anyone willing to help me out. Thanks!!!

Well, this is one of those things that nobody can really answer. Both kits are so similar. It really comes down to you making the decision that u feel comfortable with. Personally, I've been enjoying Sonors new stuff. I just got a Sonor Force 2007 birch snare that I'm liking more than my new DW all maple snare.

I believe either would serve you well. I have played both sets and, to me, the Mapex feels a bit more solid. All things considered ($, config, finish, etc), I personally would go for the Mapex. Also, i prefer 12" rack toms....to me they are more versatile. Again, this truly boils down to preference. Good luck with your decision!

Get the one that will make you play more ;)

Personally, I saw those Arena kits at NAMM last year and was impressed. Sometimes when people talk about a kit being solid, in my mind I'm envisioning a kit that doesn't ring out and sing. The Sonors seem light enough with enough heft, but like Ludwig Club Dates (and even my 1970s Ludwig Classic maples) I bet they sing and rumble really good. I don't like drums that feel like they're bolted to the ground.

BTW - have you checked out the Ludwig Club date kit with the 22/13/26 config? Those are pretty awesome and sing like it's nobody's business.

Anyway, I have always played Mapex, and have developed a bit of brand loyalty. However, I recently got hold of a Sonor Arena kit really cheap. I really like the sizes of the drums and the kit sounds great. BUT all of my hardware is Mapex and like I said, I've always been partial to Mapex, so.....

I don't know the real reasons for you brand loyalty, but unless you are an endorser or are OC, I don't see the need for everything in your kit to be the same brand. I've got Pearl drums, but my hardware is a mixed bag of Pearl, Tama, Gibraltar, and some "generic" pieces. I buy based on a combination of availability, quality, and price. But if this is going to keep you restless, then do what you got to do.

P.S. That 24 x 16 looks HOT!

Both are good drum kits and I don't see a clear advantage in buying one over the other. Play them both, determine which sound and finish combination you like best then buy that one.

Get the one that will make you play more ;)BTW - have you checked out the Ludwig Club date kit with the 22/13/26 config? Those are pretty awesome and sing like it's nobody's business.

2 bass drums, 1 rack tom?? ;0)

2 bass drums, 1 rack tom?? ;0)

Whoops! I meant 16 floor tom. Bun E. Carlos has a video of him trying out those Ludwigs on YouTube and they sound incredible for a videocamera microphone. There are a number of people here who have the kits too. I might get one as a second Ludwig kit when my zep kit is too big to use for certain things too.

I was actually looking between these two kits myself recently. Mapex was my pick, because you have a variety of finishes, where with the Sonor Arena your only choice is the Piano black. If you like that finish, and you're fond of Sonor, then great. But if you want options for finish, go Mapex. Both kits sound great.

If this model Sonor kit has the tune safe feature, then I think that would give it the upper hand.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was looking for an all maple kit and found the Sonor Arena used (although it was new) for an incredible price (500 including some hardware). I never played a 24" kick before, so I took a chance, and now I could never go back to a 22. If I had known that I would like the 24 kick so much I would have probably gone for the Meridian Maple to begin with, but who woulda known?

Anyway, The Sonor sounds great, but there are a couple of things I don't really like. No big deal, but.... the way the mounting hardware is drilled directly into the tom - I have only ever seen this on cheaper drums, and it bugs me a bit. Also, I don't like the way the legs come completely off the kick. It makes set up take a bit longer. And yes I believe I would prefer a 12" tom also. Maybe I'm picky.

But as far as looks go the Arena is a beautiful kit. More so than the Meridian even. The one finish it comes in is one I would have picked even if I had a choice. Thanks for all of your help. I will keep thinking on it.

After looking on line a bit, I think that the Sonor 3007 ( discontinued ) or the Select Force series would be a closer competition with the Mapex Meridian Maple. Have you looked at those?

I am familiar with those kits, however now I'm planning on sticking with a 24" kick.

The Arena is a really nice lacquer over black wood grain.

So should the lack of a suspension mount (hope I got that right) bother me?

Back