Dang DW

BlakeN70

Without having to go into long detail, I will try and make this short. As some know I just received my Collectors kit last week. Well the kit was already in stock at my dealer but I needed a matching snare. So in Jan. my dealer asked DW if they could "rush" and build a matching snare ASAP. They assured that they would. To make a long story short, DW was supposed to ship the snare to my dealer at the end of Jan. Here we are later part of Feb and still no snare. I called DW myself today and the snare still hasn't been built much less shipped. So here I am with a new DW kit with no snare and no way of playing the kit anywhere without a snare. I have been in a serious bind. So I decided enough is enough and called my dealer and simply asked for either a refund on the snare(was pre-purchased) or a different snare all together. I understand that DW custom makes drums and it takes awhile. But the understanding AND agreement was that the snare would be made and delivered ASAP. So now I am looking to buy a snare drum to add to my kit. What kind of snare would you guys recommend in the $400-$500 range?.

Well, if you're going to get a snare that isn't an exact match for your kit, might as well just get a DW in close color. And finding a DW snare is pretty easy.

My DW kit is a dark purple. I bought a black DW snare. Unless you're right up on the kit, it's hardly even noticeable that they don't exactly match.

And for me, when it comes to a wood snare drum, nothing quite sounds like a DW.

Can't go wrong with a Ludwig Acrolite or Supraphonic eith 5 x 14 or 6.5 x 14. If you are a wood shell guy, you could get a nice Ludwig Classic maple in matching wrap.

Ok well, DW just called me back, spoke with a guy named Scott and he told me there was mis-communication and that he would go against policy and drop ship the snare to me and I should receive it Friday. Whew!

Ok well, DW just called me back, spoke with a guy named Scott and he told me there was mis-communication and that he would go against policy and drop ship the snare to me and I should receive it Friday. Whew!

Scott Mundy I assume.

After John Good and Don Lombardi, Scott is next in command there.

I'm sorry, but something about this thread just gets to me. Maybe because I grew up poor and learned on marginal instruments and took a long time to work my way up to professional grade stuff. But I would think that by the time someone gets to the point of buying a DW or other topline drum kit, they would have some collection of snares and know what the attributes of them all are. So that going to the very expensive topline kit would entail a snare (and everything else for that matter) chosen because it had a sound that was specifically desired.

Or is this just someone with a lot of money and a desire to have "the best" even though they have no idea what that is?

I'm sorry, but something about this thread just gets to me. Maybe because I grew up poor and learned on marginal instruments and took a long time to work my way up to professional grade stuff. But I would think that by the time someone gets to the point of buying a DW or other topline drum kit, they would have some collection of snares and know what the attributes of them all are. So that going to the very expensive topline kit would entail a snare (and everything else for that matter) chosen because it had a sound that was specifically desired.

Or is this just someone with a lot of money and a desire to have "the best" even though they have no idea what that is?

And how in the world do you know that it didn't take me a long time to work my way up to professional grade stuff? I am 42 yrs old not a young kid. Have been drumming since age 15. You do the math. I have owned NUMEROUS kits during my life including other pro end kits like Tama Starclassic performer, Mapex Saturn etc. However I started drumming with kits like Sunlite, Pearl Exports etc. I am a disabled ex police officer, so no I am not rich at all. It took me a long time to save up for this Collector's kit. Why I never had any backup snares? Simply because every drum kit I ever owned had a snare come with the kit. Just like this is the very first virgin bass I ever had. I never had to mount toms from a stand until now. Why is this so hard to believe to you? With that said, excuse me for being ignorant about other snare brands. Sorry I don't have all the knowledge as you do lol.

And how in the world do you know that it didn't take me a long time to work my way up to professional grade stuff? I am 42 yrs old not a young kid. Have been drumming since age 15. You do the math. I have owned NUMEROUS kits during my life including other pro end kits like Tama Starclassic performer, Mapex Saturn etc. However I started drumming with kits like Sunlite, Pearl Exports etc. I am a disabled ex police officer, so no I am not rich at all. It took me a long time to save up for this Collector's kit. Why I never had any backup snares? Simply because every drum kit I ever owned had a snare come with the kit. Just like this is the very first virgin bass I ever had. I never had to mount toms from a stand until now. Why is this so hard to believe to you? With that said, excuse me for being ignorant about other snare brands. Sorry I don't have all the knowledge as you do lol.

I get it! Not every drummer has a need to own 10 snare drums lol. I buy snares out of weakness and out of love for them. But hey, we're all a little different and I would be bored here if we all thought the same way and all had the same desires.

We all share a love for drumming, that counts for a lot in my opinion.

Anyway...congrats on DW is finally getting your snare sent to you

Blake :

Congrats on your new DW collectors.
I hope the snare arrives soon and matches perfectly in look and in sound.

If not, any good snare of which you like the sound will be just fine with that kit.

I own three snares and all are wood..............a new Ludwig, a '64 Slingy and my all-time go-to baby, a '54 Gretsch WMP.
The old gal will be 60 years old next year.
I've never had a better drum, and I've mixed it in with many kits......no problem.

I intended to have a collection of snares.

But I bought a DW wood snare in my mid 20's, and found it to be so versatile, I never felt like I need to have a collection after all.

And I've worked in and around the drum retail industry for a long time, and if it wasn't for people like you describe, most drum companies would be out of business. Learn to embrace them, they keep the industry running for the rest of us!

Oh those DW owners are such snobs. Whine and cry like little babies. Just kidding. Glad things worked out. But he makes a good point. There was a time where drummers got by on just a couple of drum makers with very little selection. Now we're all spoiled.

I have three snares. I will lend you one of mine. Contact me on Facebook. For those of you who do not know, Blake and I live in the same area. Peace and goodwill.

Thanks for reply, but I would prefer something new.

Seriously Blake, if you have another snare to buy that can be versatile & very useful is a used Ludwig (mighty) Acrolite. You'll get one for cheap and won't believe how good they sound.

I have three snares. I will lend you one of mine. Contact me on Facebook. For those of you who do not know, Blake and I live in the same area. Peace and goodwill.

Thank you soo much Mark, but my DW snare should be arriving within the hour from UPS. That was very nice of you though. Thanks!

Seriously Blake, if you have another snare to buy that can be versatile & very useful is a used Ludwig (mighty) Acrolite. You'll get one for cheap and won't believe how good they sound.

You are very right. A matter of fact i have been looking into buying an Acrolite. I just don't know whether to buy a used one, or a new reissue acrolite.

Back