New Gretsch for 2013!

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
No replacement for the Renown '57 Bop kit? And they're keeping the larger '57 kit in the line-up?

No replacement for the Renown '57 Bop kit? And they're keeping the larger '57 kit in the line-up?

All gorgeous offerings. Those bops were available only for 2012 and sold quickly when they discontinued them and dropped the price in half. I was told by a dealer that they made 125 in each of the 3 colors. Who knows if that is accurate. Sell you mine (lol....)?

Stave snares?????? Really, Gretsch??!!!!!!!!
I doesn't surprise me. The big companies are realising the benefits of solid shell, or more importantly to them, losing market to solid shell products, so they're jumping on the bandwagon. Interesting to know if they make the shells themselves, or get them shipped in.
Either way, it's good that the bigger guys are recognising solid shell has something different to offer, but they're way behind the game. I suspect they will attract much attention, especially from those wishing to get such an instrument for a lower price.

Also interested to see if they truly understand the inherent characteristics of stave, especially in the application of bearing edges. Generally, & especially with very thick shells, going the standard 45 or 30 degree route is a sonic mistake, or at best, not taking full advantage of the benefits on offer.

At the end of the day, they're just another thick stave shell snare drum with Asian made hardware, but that still makes them an attractive proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm, nice. I can see the Club Classic being quite popular, maybe even more so than the Club Jazz.
They always have limited sizes for the renown bass drums.

Gretsch Oak Stave Snare

408444_10151213028497120_1303769625_n.jpg

75021_10151213028517120_927367426_n.jpg

67464_10151213028482120_1516860958_n.jpg

19484_10151213028642120_1741389946_n.jpg

523168_10151213028602120_841345490_n.jpg

What bearing edge would you suggest instead?
Sorry, I know this will sound a bit high handed, but that's for Gretsch to find out. I will offer this, head contact is key to sensitivity, articulation, & control of overtones. Some of which is negated by such a thick shell. The very thick shells will place these drums fairly into a specific sound group. Stave can offer so much more, but the trick is in the detail. Certainly, thick oak stave snares are a bit of a one trick pony, cherry being slightly more interesting.

I like everything but the bass drum with the 2.5 inch x 54 inch vent. That's a no go and would weaken the drum in my opinion. Don't like Gretsch and Gimmick together.

I don't mean to be a party-pooper and perhaps I'm alone in this but to be honest - NAMM and all the hoopla surrounding new gear does absolutely nothing for me. I could give a rip about any of it. Not that I'd ever get in the doors but I wouldn't go if I could go for free.

For those that enjoy all of it.. Carry on.....................

All gorgeous offerings. Those bops were available only for 2012 and sold quickly when they discontinued them and dropped the price in half. I was told by a dealer that they made 125 in each of the 3 colors. Who knows if that is accurate. Sell you mine (lol....)?

Don't tempt me. It was on my mind almost every second for a couple days when they dropped the price.
I wanted to get one bad, but the timing was off for me.

I'm disappointed they didn't come out with another 18" kick Renown kit, but I probably don't blame them if it didn't sell well. Maybe next year - LOL.

Did you leave yours looking the way it was delivered?

On the 12-14-20 Catalina config: freaking finally.

Yeah, seriously. I have absolutely no need for one but I want one for some reason. Actually I'd be better off with the Rock 'cause then I'd have all different sizes than my Club Jazz. Tempting.

Don't tempt me. It was on my mind almost every second for a couple days when they dropped the price.
I wanted to get one bad, but the timing was off for me.

I'm disappointed they didn't come out with another 18" kick Renown kit, but I probably don't blame them if it didn't sell well. Maybe next year - LOL.

Did you leave yours looking the way it was delivered?

Yes, I have played it daily for 2-3 weeks when I bought it last Oct-Nov and haven't played it since (I rotate my kits) but I'm a real light player so it's virtually new looking. I didn't remove the Chevy emblem sticker thingy like some others have. Actually, I encourage anyone who doesn't like it to remove it (so my kit increases in value). But I really love it and it's surprisingly loud for its size. Deal of the decade so far... The snare is the best drum of the 4...

They all look good to me. Go Gretsch! Peace and goodwill.

Sorry, I know this will sound a bit high handed, but that's for Gretsch to find out. I will offer this, head contact is key to sensitivity, articulation, & control of overtones. Some of which is negated by such a thick shell. The very thick shells will place these drums fairly into a specific sound group. Stave can offer so much more, but the trick is in the detail. Certainly, thick oak stave snares are a bit of a one trick pony, cherry being slightly more interesting.

I was asking a serious question, just because I have a Walnut stave my self with 45s and built in "re-rings" and I was thinking about the specs for my next stave.

Back