DW Collector Drums?

CJIII

I am looking to upgrade to a professional drum set, what do you think about the DW Collector Birch Kits?

Never tried them but I liked the Eco x (birch/bamboo) lots.

If you are asking perfect strangers how to spend four thousand dollars of your money, you aren't quite ready.
Someone will post how they hate DW, and how their drums sound so cookie cutter, and how blah blah blah. Someone else is going to recommend Guru as the only alternative. A few will vote for Gretsch, Ludwig, or Pearl. Yamaha and Tama will probably get a mention. Only you can know what you want and how serious are you about getting it.

I am looking to upgrade to a professional drum set, what do you think about the DW Collector Birch Kits?

Have you had the chance to check out any of the DW stuff in person? Like others have said, you'll get lots of feedback and recommendations from other members. Some in favor of DW, some against, some in favor of other brands.

I don't have a ton of experience with DW, but what I've seen is very well made and beautiful to look at. You'll have no problems with fit and finish quality from DW. It really comes down to the sound. I'm a fan of birch...I love the punch and natural eq qualities it has, but I found that I want a little more warmth than I've heard from a lot of birch.

DW is an expensive investment, but it can certainly be worthwhile if you get a lot of enjoyment out of them. There's always risk in buying without having seen or heard them in person.

What are you playing now?

Yes I have but I have not had a change to play one, I live in a small town where we don't have the best drum shops in the world so our selection is limited.

If you don't want maple, and are considering DW, you should check out their Cherry kits. I played a cherry collector's kit a couple of months ago and it blew my mind. Warmer than maple but plenty of resonance and attack. I love all maple and all birch kits, but the Cherry Collector's series I played was just something else. I highly recommend that you check them out.

Here is my personal experience with owning DW drums.

I've owned a DW Collector's maple kit for 13 years now and it has been fantastic. After 12 years of gigging, studio recording, and constant playing everything has held up extremely well. The hardware is still in great shape, no chrome issues, the shells are still as nice as the day I bought them, the bearing edges are perfect, and the sound, well it's great! I played soo many high end kits before purchasing my ddubs, and the DW's just spoke to me.

Since you live in a small town with little access to try out high end drum kits, I'd look into surrounding music stores. I took a 3 hour drive to Chicago to visit a drum shop to buy some cymbals and I am so glad that I did. Not sure where you live or how far you are willing to drive, but perhaps you could look into taking a day trip to a drum shop.

I live in Montgomery,AL. I been playing for over 20 years, its time for a pro kit LOL! I am trying to start me a professional reggae band.

Firstly, I think it would be wise to consider other brands when plunking down that kind of money. Secondly if birch is truly the wood species you think you want, then take a look at Eames. Eames is a small American builder in Mass. that makes some incredible sounding and feeling drums. The finishes are understated when compared to the a company like DW but they sound amazing and are among the best sounding ply kits I have ever played regardless of timber species. Again, if birch is the species you are leaning towards, then a Yamaha RC should also be considered along with SONOR S Classix. DW make very nice drums but I'm not sure that their drums are worth what they charge compared to the others, epecially Eames. If I was going to buy a kit, had the budget for DW and it had to be birch, Eames would be the easy choice for me.

That's pretty limiting. You'll have the choice of DW, Gretsch, and Ludwig. Yes, I can understand not wanting to buy from third world countries, but there's plenty of good brands from other first world nations that are on par....Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, Sonor, Taye, etc.

I'm all for DW drums and love my Collector's series, but if you're definitely wanting American-made, there are some pretty nice options depending on your budget. However, if you're wanting to buy a DW set because you've personally experienced them and really like the sound and feel, I say go for it. Just figure out what sizes and finish you want and get some quotes.

This a great example of DW's marketing dollars coming back to them. They are perceived to be the best, best, best of "professional" drums.

OP, if you're a schooled pro then you should know how to pick a kit. Get out there and try some drums and form an opinion on what you like or don't like. Don't go for something just because people say they're good and they're assembled in the same country you were born.

If you do really end up liking DWs then go for it! Get yourself a nice kit and play that till the wheels fall off.

Echoing what others said, buying American made does allow you a lot of good choices. DW, Gretch, Ludwig are common names because they cover they entire spectrum from entry to high end - though entry level kits are normally made outside the US. Noble & Cooley, Craviotto, etc. are more higher end so you do not hear a lot about them much but are excellent drums.

My suggestion is pretty much the same as others here, adding 'don't buy just for a name'. DW are excellent drums, but you are talking a lot of money. Since you are in a rural area without a lot of drum choices, look through the catalogs for the different manufactures of the US Made companies and then ask for people who already own them for their thoughts, pros and cons on why they bought them and what they use them for. You should do this for any kits you are narrowing in on. That's so much better than asking what to buy. After all the research is done, you may in fact end up with a DW kit but it will be because you did your homework. ;-) Also remember , for the $$$ your talking, you will have the kit for a long time

Back