Taylor Hawkins plays with Rush!

Wow! That was sweet! I never knew Taylor could jam out like that.

Thats awesome; the fans had a treat enough, imagine what it must feel like for Hawkins!

If i remember, hadn't their latest album producer just finished working on Snakes & Arrows?

That's pretty dang cool.

Gotta be a real highlight in his carer!
How many people have dreamed of doing that!?!!

Awesome, thanks for posting :)

Maybe it's just me though but I can't shake the feeling that during this amazing event, there were a bunch of 13 year olds in the audience going "Who in the hell are these old guys?"

im suprised he pulled is off actually, he's a good drummer but i didn't think he was neil peart calliber, well, he proved me wrong.

Maybe it's just me though but I can't shake the feeling that during this amazing event, there were a bunch of 13 year olds in the audience going "Who in the hell are these old guys?"

Yeah! Excellent post...wish I was there!

LOL, Rob! Yeah. I was like that when I was 13, but I became older and wiser!

Neil Peart rocks!!!!!!!

I hear what you're saying but Rush has God-like status in Toronto. Everyone knows them.

That was the kind of concert moment that sticks with you forever. I would have loved to have been there.

Can someone enlighten me about the whole Rush / Peart thing? I've listened to some of their records and watched all the Peart clips that I could find, but I cannot find anything positive about it. I find the drumming neither grooving nor technically outstanding but still many guys seem to love Peart (as from what I've read on forums). How come?

Actually I found that what Taylor was doing here was better than anything that Peart has ever done with them. Hmm... maybe I just grew up in the wrong decades listening to wrong music.

:)

Anyway - certainly a great moment if you're a fan of that band. And Taylor is just an amazing rock drummer. An absolute giant. And he seemes to love the guys (and most likely Peart). Probably I just don't get the point.

Awesome, how cool is that! I can't imagine what it would be like for a Rush fan to be there to see the Foo Fighter and all of a sudden Geddy pops up from nowhere, brilliant!

Can someone enlighten me about the whole Rush / Peart thing? I've listened to some of their records and watched all the Peart clips that I could find, but I cannot find anything positive about it. I find the drumming neither grooving nor technically outstanding but still many guys seem to love Peart (as from what I've read on forums). How come?

Actually I found that what Taylor was doing here was better than anything that Peart has ever done with them. Hmm... maybe I just grew up in the wrong decades listening to wrong music.

Anyway - certainly a great moment if you're a fan of that band. And Taylor is just an amazing rock drummer. An absolute giant. And he seemes to love the guys (and most likely Peart). Probably I just don't get the point.

At least you admit your ignorance, haha.! ;)

Peart's drumming is not technical? What planet do you come from?
And many, including me, do not worship Peart exclusively for his technical ability, but for his work with the band in general, his drumming is not about being the fastest guy in town, it suits the music, and it's very creative. Of course Peart is one of the greatest lyricist ever to walk the face of earth, in my opinion, but that's another story.

And how can you say that what the Foo Fighters guy there did is better than anything Neil has ever done, if it is a (good) copy of a part written by Peart?

Anyway, I'm not trying to be the Rush Fanboy here, but I couldn't leave this like that.

Last edited:
At least you admit your ignorance, haha.! ;)

Peart's drumming is not technical? What planet do you come from?
And many, including me, do not worship Peart exclusively for his technical ability, but for his work with the band in general, his drumming is not about being the fastest guy in town, it suits the music, and it's very creative. Of course Peart is one of the greatest lyricist ever to walk the face of earth, in my opinion, but that's another story.

And how can you say that what the Foo Fighters guy there did is better than anything Neil has ever done, if it is a (good) copy of a part written by Peart?

Anyway, I'm not trying to be the Rush Fanboy here, but I couldn't leave this like that.

Ok, I see the band work thing and I didn't know he was writing lyrics. I just think that Taylor has way more energy than Peart and he has that cool Rockfeel that very very very few drummers have - and to me Peart just doesn't have it. So even if it is a copy of a Peart part, I still like that Part better when Taylor plays it.

About the technique thing (which I don't find important btw.) all I can say is "hmmm..."

But yeah, I might be ignorant, I'm totally cool with that.

its not technique (well, thats one thing), its the fact that he can play a 13/4 hand solo over a 3/4 kick drum solo, without every losing a handle on what he's playing. He has mastered how to play everything very smoothly.
And if you were just listening to the recordings without having any idea who was drumming on them, my guess is you would probably realize that Peart is much smoother. As impressive as Hawkins' playing was, it never quite felt like it was really in the pocket, it seemed like he was rushing a little bit ahead.

its not technique (well, thats one thing), its the fact that he can play a 13/4 hand solo over a 3/4 kick drum solo, without every losing a handle on what he's playing. He has mastered how to play everything very smoothly.
And if you were just listening to the recordings without having any idea who was drumming on them, my guess is you would probably realize that Peart is much smoother. As impressive as Hawkins' playing was, it never quite felt like it was really in the pocket, it seemed like he was rushing a little bit ahead.

OK, I have small doubts about soloing in 13/4 over 3/4 but I get the picture. Personally I'd say that such solos are usually pretty boring, but what the heck... thats just me I guess. Another thing is (but I guess you just made up that example) that keeping a 3/4 foot ostinato and playing stickings that are in 13 over it is not too hard. Say the ostinato is HH-Bd-Bd I could probably pull that off without having to work too hard to get there. But again - probably it was just an example you made up to make a point.

The point that I find much more interesting is what you say about smoothnes: That is something that I personally don't like if it becomes too dominant. Thats why I don't really like Weckl or Steve Smith for example... Everything seems TOO smooth for my taste. Other guys with similar or even better chops are playing way more dirty and I personally I prefer that a lot (JoJo / Vinnie for example).

Interesting viewpoints though.

Maybe your right about Taylor rushing, but I still like the energy he has better than the smoothnes of Peart.

It's just an opinion though. Remember opinions are like noses: Everybody has got one.

OK, I have small doubts about soloing in 13/4 over 3/4 but I get the picture. Personally I'd say that such solos are usually pretty boring, but what the heck... thats just me I guess. Another thing is (but I guess you just made up that example) that keeping a 3/4 foot ostinato and playing stickings that are in 13 over it is not too hard. Say the ostinato is HH-Bd-Bd I could probably pull that off without having to work too hard to get there. But again - probably it was just an example you made up to make a point.

The point that I find much more interesting is what you say about smoothnes: That is something that I personally don't like if it becomes too dominant. Thats why I don't really like Weckl or Steve Smith for example... Everything seems TOO smooth for my taste. Other guys with similar or even better chops are playing way more dirty and I personally I prefer that a lot (JoJo / Vinnie for example).

Maybe your right about Taylor rushing, but I still like the energy he has better than the smoothnes of Peart.

It's just an opinion though. Remember opinions are like noses: Everybody has got one.

Yes, it was an example, but you're right, its not something very hard to do, but its not something 99% of drummers would ever think of putting in a solo. I think he goes more for the "drummmer's drummer solo" than the crowd pleasing high energy pyro-enhanced madness of today's solos. Which I'll admit are much more fun to watch in a big crowd setting. I guess for me there's just something about drummers like Gadd, Peart, Weckl, etc that I like; they are rather distinct, and play what they want to play, not what the crowd cares about, and I sort of like that since thats why I drum. But then again, like you said, Jojo Mayer really brings his own special stuff to the table and is amazing at that; I got to see him live, and it was one of the most amazing drumming experiences of my life: he had the energy, the pocket, and the variation all in one.

HTML:

Come on then.

So who do you respect in the drum world? Have you nothing positive to say? Frankly, you're talking out of your backside.

You've just knocked three of the best players in the world.

Peart is one of the greatest and most influential rock drummers ever. Second behind only Bonham (I suppose you don't rate him either.)

Weckl and Smith are quite simply modern masters - but clearly not up to your nit-picking standards.

On a personal level can I ask you a question: are you actually a drummer?

I guess for me there's just something about drummers like Gadd, Peart, Weckl, etc that I like; they are rather distinct, and play what they want to play, not what the crowd cares about, and I sort of like that since thats why I drum.

Intersting point. Well, I still see a big difference in between Gadd and the other two in terms of smoothness. To me Gadd has a real unique pocket and what I like about his playing the most is the dirt he puts in. PLUS the energy that he has and his creativity and subtleness. I'm not saying the other two are bad drummers (which would be an insanely stupid statement), I just think the way they are playing is lacking some dirt. I've seen Weckl live many many times and every single time I thought: "great drumming in terms of technique/finesse/timekeeping"playing form etc. - perfect. But still not appealing to me." Mabe because I find it to be too perfect. My point of view is that if you are playing too clean, too smooth and too perfect, you might be missing the whole point of drumming itself. But again: This is probably a matter of personal taste or even personality itself. On this "spiritual" level (trust me, I am an absoultely un-esoteric person) of drumming all that matters to me is "high energy + high emotionality". If a drummer cannot get that across to me, I don't care about the drumming.
But this has nothing to do with bad drumming.

Back