Underrated Drummers

Most of these have been mentioned but I’d like to underscore them because they've earned it!

Previously mentioned:
  • Jerry Gaskill: King’s X
  • Scott Rockenfield: Queensryche
  • Jean-Paul Gaster: Clutch
  • Dave Turncrantz: Russian Circles

And, add in:
  • Reed Mullin: Corrosion of Conformity
  • Ted Parsons: Prong, Jesu

Last edited:
God I was in a bit of a rut as far as finding new music goes... I've been working my way through this list and must admit that I owe you all one for jam packing my ipod full of great tunes.. It's too easy to get caught up on the superstars sometimes...

Anyways, I've just discovered the Raconteurs (took me long enough huh?). I'm a huge fan of the whole overdriven blues-rock thing. Their drummer, Patrick Keeler compliments the other guys in the band SO well too.

He does some fantastic playing in this live studio video of "Consoler of the Lonely". Gotta love those tempo changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu9hj_kMm48

Sean Kinney - Alice in Chains

I guess I should preface this with saying that Alice are my favourite band of all time. From an objective point of view; he's always been one of those players, for me at least, who plays exactly what the songs needs whilst still being creative. The way I listen to the music I'm writing drum parts to and my approach to creating those parts has been heavily influence by hearing the way that Sean's drumming fits around and with the melodies, moods, chords of the songs. Having that balance of playing something that isn't generic, yet still sitting nicley within the song is something I always strive for.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev

Last edited:
HIROYUKI NORITAKE.

its just so sad that he's not known very well outside of japan.and little credit is given to him. he's one of the most musical drummers ive seen and even though he hasnt any drum educational DVDs or clinics,just watching him play with a band and seeing how he blends in so well is smth to learn from. love him man.

Ben Johnston- biffy clyro
this guys ghost notes are the best in the world
and he also sings while playing them

Amon amarth's drummer(forgot his name)

I think there is another thread with same content here somewhere. I will say again, Lou Molino. He did Rockland with Kim Mitchell and Trevor Rabin's solo album, Cant Look Away, guy is a monster player, what ever happened to him?

+1. Was just listening to "Can't Look Away" the other day. Very solid drumming on that CD. Really wish Trevor Rabin would do another album, but he's making way too much $ doing soundtracks.

A few of my favorites that were major influences on me:

Kelly Keagy, David Huff, & Paul Geary. All good, solid rock drummers. Kelly is the best known, and he is still putting out new albums and touring with NR. David has shiffted his focus to more worldbeat music - loved his playing with Giant. I don't think Paul plays anymore, he's making a great living managing other artists.

King's of Leon's Nathan Followill has always been one of my favorites but isn't talked about much.

• Birthday - The groove in the chorus has a triplet polyrhythm over the back beat.
  • Where Nobody Knows - The missing back-beat on beat 4 is signature of Nathan's, the swing pattern on the cymbal adds a nice touch.
  • Family Tree - Interesting groove to play because the left hand has to swing under the right to hit the toms.
  • I Want You - A very unique, simple but catchy linear drum patter that has a great use of mounted percussion.
  • Radioactive - Funky bass drum pattern and LH ghost notes with the RH playing and afro-cuban type rhythm on the rim.
  • My Party - this break down beat has cowbell, accents and tom-tom flair turns normal 16th notes into a fun dance groove.
  • Happy Alone - the drum break in this song has always been challenging to me because it switches to almost a 6/8 feel instantaneously and the ghost notes make it sound fast and funky.
  • McFearless - This has always been crazy sounding to me, Nathans LH accent specialty making things sound fast and crazy.
  • Slow Night So Long - Fun drum and bass type groove that goes into an awesome barrage of snare drum 16ths accented by dotted quarter note crashes that evolve to quarters and back into the beat. Always exciting to see live.
  • Black Thumbnail - Nathans unique approach to swing grooves at it's finest. This was the most challenging song in KOL's catalogue because it's hard to tell how to play just by listening. I had to watch several live videos to finally catch what he was doing. The toms are interwoven to make it even more intricate.
https://youtu.be/66k4an6wYP8

Back