Looking for help choosing a pro level drum kit

aSillyMoose

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums so I hope this is the right spot to post this. I'm going to school in September for Jazz drumming and I think it is time for an upgrade. Even though I am enrolled in Jazz, I want the kit to be as versatile as possible for all genres of music. I am looking for a 7 piece kit (1 BD, 3 RT, 2 FT, 1 SD) that will not exceed over $6500. I have done quite a bit of research so far and have narrowed it down to the following kits:

DW Collectors Series

My quote for a DW Collectors in exotic finish came to about $8,000. So the exotic finish is pretty much out of the question. I got a quote around $5,000 in their "cheapest finish". I'm not sure what finish that will be but I am assuming the cheaper ones aren't as nice. I know sound is more important then looks, but if it's something I'm going to invest quite a bit of money into and have for a while I want it to look nice.

DW Performance Series

My quote for a DW Performance series kit came to around $3,365. I have read many different reviews on these kits. I have heard some people say they sound as good as their collectors and that they're only cheaper because of less options. I have heard some people say that they are cheap drums. I'm not very particular to any of the finishes they come in, but the price point is very nice. Also an added bonus they are made in America.

TAMA Starclassic Maple or TAMA Starclassic Bubinga

My quote for the TSCM was around $4500, I have yet to get a quote for the Bubinga, which I am assuming will be a little more expensive. I am in love with the finishes these drums come in. The natural Bubinga and the Dark Mocha Burst are just gorgeous. I also love how Tama is one of the best in the business in terms of quality and their tom mounts. I have heard nothing but good things about these drums. My only concern is that their production moved to China...have their standards still been kept high? I am also wondering if one set is considered "better" then the others, or if the different wood just comes down to personal preference.

TAMA Starclassic Bubinga Elite

My quote for these drums was around $5500. I don't know too much about these drums. I can't seem to find them on Tama's website, unless these are now called the star series. Heard great things about the drums too.

To conclude, I'm just wondering what kit here would be the best in terms of overall quality, value and sound. Thanks a lot for taking time out of your day to read this and hope to see you guys around the forum!

-Zach

If you're doing the jazz thing - go for the DW Jazz series. Sounds obvious, but they're versatile drums. You could save some $ by just going with a 4 or 5 piece kit - probably all you'll need.

I sure as hell hope that at $4000, his Starclassic is either a foreign price or a 14 piece with 10 cymbals.. OMFG.. I almost choked when I just read $4000 for a Starclassic..

Those are more or less in the right area. Don't use the all over the place B/B as a reference point.

Look at those F'KIN RIDICULOUS prices for the freakin DW.. WHAT ???????? What is he going to do when he finds his "Exotic" substance is like half a millimeter. ??

Japanese Starclassic has a better build than a dw...... and I like dw just fine.. but I know what they are worth and how to get correct pricing.

I sure as hell hope that at $4000, his Starclassic is either a foreign price or a 14 piece with 10 cymbals.. OMFG.. I almost choked when I just read $4000 for a Starclassic..

The quote was $4000 for:

8x7 Rack Tom
10x8 Rack Tom
12x9 Rack Tom
16x14 Floor Tom
18x16 Floor Tom
18x24 Bass Drum

If you want something versatile and American made is a consideration I'd suggest Ludwig Classic Maple.

However, I'd suggest holding off until you actually get started at school. Spending over $6000 before you even know for sure what your needs are going to be is a little scary to me. Also consider getting some advice from fellow students or professors or the chance to play some different gear at school. It might make your decision a little easier.

Not knowing what your cymbal situation is either I'd also mention that the likelihood of needing a few different ride cymbals to remain convincing in a wider variety of styles might end up being more important than a big drum set.

I
Not knowing what your cymbal situation is either I'd also mention that the likelihood of needing a few different ride cymbals to remain convincing in a wider variety of styles might end up being more important than a big drum set.

+1. Especially if your going to be studying jazz, cymbals will be important more so than your drums.

I have already complete a one year prep program for the three year course. Luckily for me, most of my cymbals are of very good quality, so in that department I am good to go! Only my drums will need replacing.

Just curious if there's some reason why you couldn't use those.

Everyone wants a nice high end kit, but maybe you could work on finishing school first, and then get the expensive kit when those high dollar jazz gigs start rolling in.

Unless money is no object. Then just buy the most expensive kit you can find.

LOL

(just kidding, of course).

Also - most jazz drummers normally would opt for a 4 piece kit over a 7 piece. Have you checked with your professors or other students about kits?

Just curious if there's some reason why you couldn't use those.

Everyone wants a nice high end kit, but maybe you could work on finishing school first, and then get the expensive kit when those high dollar jazz gigs start rolling in.

Unless money is no object. Then just buy the most expensive kit you can find.

LOL

(just kidding, of course).

Also - most jazz drummers normally would opt for a 4 piece kit over a 7 piece. Have you checked with your professors or other students about kits?

The kit is pretty beat up, the snare needs replaced, there are parts missing on the toms and so on. HAHAHA @ "then get the expensive kit when those high dollar jazz gigs start rolling in" That made me laugh :) Anyways, money isn't too much of an issue, thankfully I've been working full time for a few years and have a lot saved up! I know Jazz kits tend to be smaller, and when I'm practicing my jazz that is probably what I will do. I'm a fan of almost every genre, so when I want to play rock or metal having the big kit as an option will work better for me. Thanks for the response!

DW Collectors is completely over rated and over priced. Yes, I said it. Quite frankly they are all the same and they charge a fortune for their "exotic" finishes. As you saw just how much more expensive an exotic finish was over the exact same kit with a standard maple veneer; Its not worth it. If you really want a Collectors kit, there are thousands of them on the used market. They are a dime a dozen.

Tama is a solid choice. From what I understand, their elite kits are still made in Japan. Not that the Chinese kits are bad, but there are probably some NOS japan kits still available. If you are spending $4K+ on a kit, it seems like it should be made in a location other than China or S/E Asia.

Have you considered Sonor, Gretsch or Ludwig?

Back