Tom Sizes

Thunder_Bottom

I typically use toms that are 10, 12, and 14. Or 12, 13, and 16. I have the chance to purchase a 1995 DW kit that is 8, 10, and 16 (20 kick). The 8" tom would be used sparingly. Wondering what people think about having 10" and 16" toms?... too big of a range difference? The kit is gorgeous and sounds great, but I'm conflicted because of the sizes. If anyone has used a similar set-up, I'm curious what you thought.

My sizes are 10, 12, and 16, but if I were to only go with a 1 up and 1 down set up I don't think I would go from 10 to 16. It wouldn't be the end of the world if you did, but I would think a 12, 13, or 14 would be more desirable to pair with a 16.
Is it a rare finish? Maybe you can pick up other sizes at some point on eBay or craigslist. I've been adding to my Tequila Sunrise StarClassics over the years by keeping an eye on eBay.

It's a tirquoise glass sparkle with gold hardware and keller shells... so might be hard to come by. 10 up and 16 down seems too much to me also, just wondering if anyone has done it (I'm sure it's been at some point.) There is also a Premier Genista birch kit. 10,12,14 toms. Not too familiar with Premier, but from what I've read, they're nice kits.

I would recommend you continuing the search for the exact kit you want in the exact color and sizes you want. There are honestly so many good used kits on the market that I cannot imagine you'll have to wait long for a wonderful deal to come along. No need to compromise and buy the first shiny thing that catches your eye

I like 10/14 or 10/14/16 (a la Benny Greb), but 10/16 would be too much of a jump for me personally.

I would recommend you continuing the search for the exact kit you want in the exact color and sizes you want. There are honestly so many good used kits on the market that I cannot imagine you'll have to wait long for a wonderful deal to come along.

I agree with this.

The Genista is nice too. It sounds like you're looking at used kits, so you're already doing the smart thing.

I typically use toms that are 10, 12, and 14. Or 12, 13, and 16. I have the chance to purchase a 1995 DW kit that is 8, 10, and 16 (20 kick). The 8" tom would be used sparingly. Wondering what people think about having 10" and 16" toms?... too big of a range difference? The kit is gorgeous and sounds great, but I'm conflicted because of the sizes. If anyone has used a similar set-up, I'm curious what you thought.

That's pretty extreme-- you've basically got a set of bongos, and a very low sound, with nothing in the middle. If you can get a really good deal for such an oddball set, you might be able to find some orphaned normal-size drums to fill it out (the turquoise finish doesn't bode well for that), or just buy them new from DW, which won't be cheap. Personally, I'd be counting the minutes until I could find a matching 12", and 14" floor tom-- the 10 is, to me, a borderline novelty drum, and the 8 is completely useless; it would have to be a ridiculously good deal for me to buy a set like that.

I'll be the odd guy out here, I guess. I've used 10/16 combos on several occasions and it worked out fine. Yes, I'd want to find a 12" tom to better fit the interval, but if that DW kit is in good shape and is priced right, I'd jump on it. Even if you cannot find a 12" tom with a matching finish, it would still be quite simple to find a DW 12" and recover it to match.

I love Genista drums, as well, but I have practically no use for a 14" floor tom. When I go to the floor tom I want depth and power in spades, and my 14" ft just does not deliver. The 16" is the cannon power I need. 'Course, you could always find a sixteen ft for the Genista, as well.

GeeDeeEmm

8" 10" 16" is an odd setup indeed.

I have a 10" 12" 14" 16" kit and the 10" sits in the corner of my jam room because I simply didn't use it as much because it's too high once tuned properly and it took up space where I could add a splash (which I did).

I could not imagine trying to play a wide range of musical styles and genres with those tom sizes. If you were to add a 13" rack tom or 14" floor tom it would really balance out the kit.

Get it, sell the 8" and use the money to buy a matching 13

10 13 16 will not disappoint.

Back