Wilcoxon Modern Rudimental Suggestions?

ronyd

Silver Member
I decided to start with Wilcoxon's Rudimental Swing solos.

any suggestions on how to approach using the book? Do I just start on the first and continue to the next?

Awesome book! Many ways to approach the solos - one of my favs is to play the accented and unaccented notes very wide, dynamically. Play the queit notes super low to the head and the accents much higher. Think low or high stick heights vs. quieter or louder. Start slowly and play on a snare instead of a pad, as much as possible. Have fun!

Great book, currently making my way (if slowly) through it also.

I've started from the beginning but I've nipped forward to sections at times.

Great workout!

Been using Wilcoxon for 30 years. Each solo has so much to offer if you want to explore it.

Play them with sticks and brushes. Play them cleanly and voice among the set with various bass drum / hi hat ostinatos underneath.

Endless......

Are you versed in the basics of reading, rudimental technique? Mastering a primer is the first order, if you haven't done so. "Modern Swing Solos" is an advanced book. Take each solo slowly. Master those accents. Practice the measures that give you trouble. Pick four measures and memorize them. Listen to a lot of Philly Joe Jones, who was a master of that book. It taught me how to phrase with rudiments.

One of the most important solos in the book for me was the first one, "Rolling In Rhythm."

One of the wonderful things about the double stroke roll is that you can--with practice of course--insert accents very easily in between the flow of your roll.

Honestly, this piece was actually kind of MAGICAL in how it teaches you exactly how to do this...... so yes, start at the beginning!

hey guys,

jazzerooty, thankx for the tip on phily jo..

yes a read and familiar with the rudes, and not having any troubles understanding the rolls.

Trying my best to take 4 measures at a time to memorize. I'm at the accented doubles section at this point. I realize that I have to constantly stick with it every day because sometimes I have to briefly scan the sheet so I know where I going next.

I understand this is advance study, so should I divert to his All American 150 rudimental solos instead?

Back