Are Drummers (Generally) Crazy?

when at home and the heat kicks on, and I start hear the ticking sound, I mentally transcribe the sounds into singles/doubles/triplets/paradiddles etc.

I think Keith Moon was. Seriously, most drummers are aggressive, out going people. I wouldn't say they were crazy. I have seen drummers who look like they are crazy when they are playing.

No different then some guitar players I've seen and played with.

when at home and the heat kicks on, and I start hear the ticking sound, I mentally transcribe the sounds into singles/doubles/triplets/paradiddles etc.

Cool, I play triplets to the car turn signal every time I turn it on, can't help myself it drives my wife crazy

There are exceptions to every rule. I do think that said genre can play a factor as well. Guess I fit in a nice stereotype. This, according to people I have and do play with.
I play rock/metal (whatever you want to label it). I am a very extroverted person. I say whats on my mind even if it means pissing people off. I am told I hit very hard. I swear like a trucker without reguard for those in audible distance. When I was on the road back in my 20's, I wrecked hotel rooms ( I know, stupid cliche), drank like a fish, did copious amounts of drugs, had unprotected sex with any woman who was willing. Actually, I'm surprised nothing really bad happened to me? Anyhow, I do believe in my case being crazy is synonymous with my instrument of choice. I have no regrets. I experienced things millions of people could have only wished for. They have to read books and watch documentaries to "get it". I am a bit calmer now. Married, no drugs. Still abrasive, loud and opinionated.

Cool, I play triplets to the car turn signal every time I turn it on, can't help myself it drives my wife crazy

.....me too, always thought this pic was fitting.

tumblr_lyweyli8gE1qdcu2mo1_500.jpg

I think I am a little crazy....all the guys in my band are definitely crazy. Right now I am trying to learn a sound effect that was common in cartoons of the sixties. It was a clockwork kind of sound that happened when someone went crazy or drank something they shouldn't have. Here is an example from a Road Runner cartoon. The sound comes in at around 5:18. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4vjeezfnmU I am close to getting this down, but I need to come up with something else to whack besides my cowbells and wood block. Then I'm going to play it for the guys when they start getting a little too "crazy" at rehearsal.

Great first post! Welcome to DW Larry. I LOVE some of those sound effects from the old Looney Tunes. On the Flintstones, when someone would start to run away...I gotta learn that.

Great first post! Welcome to DW Larry. I LOVE some of those sound effects from the old Looney Tunes. On the Flintstones, when someone would start to run away...I gotta learn that.

Thanks Uncle Lar! I Have an old model T horn that you squeeze attached to one of my cymbal stands and I just found an old wind chime with some huge triangular pieces of metal that I'm trying to attach somewhere. Drumming is so much fun!

Oh the old Model T horn sounds like a gas! I do love "other than drum and cymbal" tones with the kit. My favorite drummers are the ones who make it look like fun. Papa Jo Jones was great like that.

.....me too, always thought this pic was fitting.

tumblr_lyweyli8gE1qdcu2mo1_500.jpg

Haha! That's amazing. I find myself using both hands to tap away when driving. The passengers are not fans of that for some odd reason.
I'd probably say yes to crazy just because of past experiences. I know all of my friends think I'm insane. And all the other drummers I know are crazy.
Crazy is fun normal isn't. So why be normal?

I was reminded of this thread last night as I watched tv and saw an advert here in the States for Hotels.com, where a band is going to different hotels and one 'crazy' member of the band trys to 'party' in the rooms by trying to trash the tvs.

Guess which band member is the 'crazy' one???????

Yep- big huge neanderthal drummer that's who

Yes! We are crazy...

Attachments

• Money matters.jpg
    Money matters.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 426

That was a double stroke roll on bongos with sticks, wasn't it?

The OP topic reminds me of this clip.

It's not an unusual opinion though, drummers do seem to be a weird combination of down-to-earth and extreme. Lasse Lammert who produced the Gloryhammer album told me that all the best drummers he'd worked with were insane in one way or another. I wonder if I need to work on being more insane. Maybe I should do a DVD on it one day.

I think we may be a bit more excitable than other members. Deffo crazy in my opinion. I think it's because we are just awesomer than the rest and we get to hit stuff the entire time, which is cool :)

When I play and drink (kinda the norm) everything just seems to get easier and easier...dunno if that's just me.
The some craziest things I probably have done, was throw a garden fork into my friends foot (he wasn't happy, it was a new shoe - it was an accident...)
Climbed onto the roof semi-nude to get my pants and jumped down some 3 meters before doing my interpretation of a 'SWAT roll'. not many people saw the similarity.
Attempted to play the piano in only my underpants (I can't play the piano and my body isn't very pretty) nobody liked that very much...
Running around the streets in the buff is invigorating and accidentally stapling your fingers is sore.
And guitar cables make such a nice noise when licked or pulled in and out of the speaker...

Back