Drummers who are great to watch

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I recently heard the King Crimson 40th Anniversary Edition of Red. There's live clips of LTIA II, The Night Watch, Lament and Starless.

Young Bill Bruford was just fantastic to watch! He was a real tiger back in those days - a precise, skilled and imaginative tiger with a great sound.

Whose playing to do you find transfixing to watch?

I recently heard the King Crimson 40th Anniversary Edition of Red. There's live clips of LTIA II, The Night Watch, Lament and Starless.

Young Bill Bruford was just fantastic to watch! He was a real tiger back in those days - a precise, skilled and imaginative tiger with a great sound.

Whose playing to do you find transfixing to watch?
I love playing in front of the mirror, lol!

Love Moonie and of course Damien, whom I met recently in Paris!!.. Damien is a manic in real life too. ( I mean that in the nicest possible way).

I'd have to say all the extreme drummers which include Mangini, Donati, Lang, Horatio Hernandez, Jojo,Ronald Bruner etc because, the music aside, the stuff they do is so jaw dropping and the eyes cant believe what the ears are hearing.

Last edited:
John Bonham and Ian Paice (young Paicey).

.....John Tempesta, Bill Ward playing on War Pigs.

Ironically, both Ozzy choices - Tommy Aldridge and Randy Castillo (RIP)...and more lately...Thomas Lang and Matt Traynor

Neil Peart in his prime on the 1981 Exit Stage Left tour.

Power, authority, speed, flying sticks, tubular bells, the lot!

Massively exciting and inspiring...

Tre Cool.

I can't get enough of watching him play. Seriously, he has so much stage presence and energy. He's the kind of drummer I want to be =D

I think it's fair to say that anyone who I admire, I find great to watch. Fortunately, that list is very loooooooooooooooooong, very distinguished and encompasses many differing drummers, across many differing styles. Vinnie utterly amazes me, I've never seen such a 'complete' drummer. Moon has me bewildered and highly entertained. My first drumming experiences were listening to Rich, Krupa, Belson and Morello, they'll always inspire me. Grohl completely blew me away several weeks ago. Copeland taught me how to think outside the box.......as did Larry Mullen. Couple of Aussies in Robbie Hirst and Virgil Donati, Polly...need I say more?......honestly, I could go on FOREVER here.

But there is one who absolutely captivates me for some reason (and as much as I hate to jump on such a common bandwagon)....that 'one' is John Henry Bonham!

ICopeland taught me how to think outside the box.......

Polly...need I say more?......honestly, I could go on FOREVER here.

Yeah - Stewie is a joy to watch! He reminds me of young Bill B, the way he smacks those rimshots.

Yeah ok, there's a lot :) I saw a YouTube of Simon Phillips that messed me up too - he was going nuts, but with total control. Oh, and Billy Cobham for extreme drumming!

Aaron Spears's brutality is entertaining too
... a drummer's nightmare ... Aaron asks for a loan of your cymbals ... PLEASE NOOOOOOO!!

Edit PS: Agree Rascul, I've seen that clip. Brian Blade is amazing - like a gangly praying mantis monstering the kit and pulls some top class drummer faces :)

i went to a clinic by keith carlock not too long ago and i was pretty blown away by his incredible energy and unbelievable skill on the kit. i didn't really expect him to put on such a show, but he really did!

Good thread Polly. There are some great posts here. I'd add seeing Buddy live from a few feet away attacking the kit with such furosity and then deftly going to the brushes; Steve Gadd playing each and every song ( I saw him with his " and friends" gig ) with complete passion on every note; Weckl's fluidity is mesmerising; Vinnie and JoJo always jaw dropping; I went to an Akira Jimbo clinic recently and he plays the drums with an obvious complete and utter joy.

Last edited:
benny greb is another drummer who blew me away when i saw him live. he is super fun to watch and his enthusiasm and passion is infectious! if you ever get a chance to see him, drop everything and GO!

Dave Grohl is a gas to watch. Similarly, so was Terry Bozzio back in '89 with Jeff Beck.

Buddy Rich
Neil Peart
Danny Seraphine
Carl Palmer
Bill Bruford
Rodney Holmes
Terry Bozzio
Tony Williams
Elvin Jones

Last edited:
Back